Just lost my vehicle and have no money for a new one

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon

Reaction score
And I refuse to go back to my family and borrow theirs, and I sure as hell don't want to keep driving after the accident. Idk, I'm kind of afraid of driving now, it's too dangerous, chaotic, and risky.

So I guess I'm going to take on one of those seasonal jobs someone recommended me.

I feel like I should feel devastated right now, but instead, I feel oddly more free. It's one less massive bill I have to deal with, and it frees me up to move from seasonal job to seasonal job and to even spend some time abroad. It's just it feels weird not having your own vehicle, and living in the US without one sucks.

At least it served me well while it lasted for a whole month of having it. Pulled someone out of a ditch and possibly saved my life.

Either way thank you all.

Sorry to hear. My vehicle is always breaking down. I'm fortunate enough to be able to work as needed in order to pay the repair bills, but I understand where you're coming from. It can be frightening being stranded somewhere, especially after an accident. But look on the upside, you can take a break from paying these outrageous fuel prices!

Yeah! Honestly it almost makes me wonder what's the point in sinking $20k into something that can be lost in a matter of seconds.

Makes me really think what's the point in participating in the rat race in the traditional sense. It's not like I have a wife and kids or anything like that.

That is a punch in the gut. Was the big bill on a loan or insurance or both? I’m wondering if doing this will end me up in the same place. Is there a bigger cost (other than gas) that I’m not calculating for? I don’t have loans, but wonder if ill be able to get insurance coverage that would cover the whole build or just the market value of the rig. That would suck!

But you’re right, one reason I’m doing this is to get away from the rat race, and the bills, and not get tied down. Of course I come from having the family and the mortgage and worry of the stock market and keeping up with “insert so,e bonehead neighbor here” … all that so it’s a matter of breaking the chains for me.

I’m not sure how old you are. When I was 19, I buffered off to Europe/North Africa with no plans and a backpack. It was the best thing in my life I could of done. Literally just gave myself to the world to absorb everything it had to teach me, and I met some amazing people that forever changed my life… some I never even knew their names.

Use this time as an opportunity, the stress of having to meet monthly bills just wears on our young adults… or well… everyone. Now you don’t have that yoke. Before you get sucked up into the system again, take time to chase a dream or even allow yourself to. There are great organizations out there that work overseas, it might take a bit more footwork to get things going, but at least you know they’re legit if they actually have a process.
There are even nonprofits like AmeriCorps if you dont want to go overseas.

This could be a moment when you expand yourself and find something more fulfilling then you had before. The world needs caring souls who know what it’s like to get knocked down… they are the best to help each other.

If you had a loan, you would of had to had full coverage insurance. That should help a bit. If you had a loan I mean.
I was redoing my sons car insurance and even though it’s clean title we got full coverage as the driving here is risky with the roads and weather, and many uninsured drivers. To us it’s worth having to pay a bit more each month. But that’s sometimes hard to do when one is trying to live minimalist with low income and needing to watch Pennie’s.

Make sure you talk with your insurance company and bank… if you have a loan. If not, disregard, I mean no offense.
It’s just insurance can be a bitch.

You will sort things out and hopefully end up with adequate food, shelter, health care and clothing along with personal safety and, meaningful to you, things to do with your time.

There are other forms of transportation that are much less expensive but slower moving. If you travel less than 20 miles a day and have a way to charge it it is hard to beat (in good weather conditions) an electric bicycle. Many are shippable or can be transported while traveling long distances on public transportation. If traveling more than 20 miles maybe a gasoline powered 49cc scooter although more expensive still doesn't require license or insurance in most places. Many seasonal job locations have shuttles for employees. Most summer seasonal jobs start soon so apply quickly. Good luck, hope you find what you need.

Last edited:
@Calypso Honestly?...I kind of like it better overseas. I don't really like how expensive and overly complicated and fast-paced the US is, assuming it's any different elsewhere. But maybe I'm being ungrateful.

Thought living out of a vehicle like a nomad would help me have more freedom and autonomy in the US, but instead I just ended up becoming a slave to something that I could barely keep and that could be taken from me at a moment's notice.

The only thing that's stopping me from disappearing off somewhere and letting whatever happens to me happen is just, worrying about my little sister. But she's not 18 yet, so I have time to fix my finances and guide her in the future.

Hell I'll probably have better luck saving up money and building a financial base by NOT having a vehicle, working seasonal jobs, and living abroad during slow seasons.

And driving scares the hell out of me. Moreso now.

What was North Africa and Europe like during your backpacking days?

Bummer Dude... Sorry to hear it, but I'm glad you're OK!

Hope things work out better in the future.

Cheers!

And I refuse to go back to my family and borrow theirs, and I sure as hell don't want to keep driving after the accident. Idk, I'm kind of afraid of driving now, it's too dangerous, chaotic, and risky.

So I guess I'm going to take on one of those seasonal jobs someone recommended me.

I feel like I should feel devastated right now, but instead, I feel oddly more free. It's one less massive bill I have to deal with, and it frees me up to move from seasonal job to seasonal job and to even spend some time abroad. It's just it feels weird not having your own vehicle, and living in the US without one sucks.

At least it served me well while it lasted for a whole month of having it. Pulled someone out of a ditch and possibly saved my life.

Either way thank you all.
"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose." Janice Joplin
Where did/do you live overseas? Just curious, as haven't done this ever.

@Calypso Honestly?...I kind of like it better overseas. I don't really like how expensive and overly complicated and fast-paced the US is, assuming it's any different elsewhere. But maybe I'm being ungrateful.

Thought living out of a vehicle like a nomad would help me have more freedom and autonomy in the US, but instead I just ended up becoming a slave to something that I could barely keep and that could be taken from me at a moment's notice.

The only thing that's stopping me from disappearing off somewhere and letting whatever happens to me happen is just, worrying about my little sister. But she's not 18 yet, so I have time to fix my finances and guide her in the future.

Hell I'll probably have better luck saving up money and building a financial base by NOT having a vehicle, working seasonal jobs, and living abroad during slow seasons.

What was North Africa and Europe like during your backpacking days?
Great.. but that was a while ago. Before EU, before internet, before cellphones… haha, real travel. I did lots of different jobs, my favorite was probably transporting sailboats in Greek Isles. People would rent a boat and sail to wherever, I’d go and pick it up and sail it back to main port, or to another pick up. Some beautiful boats!

Living in Japan I think has been my favorite, such a great society. Thailand was enlightening, totally different pace, my kids loved it. You should go out and explore, meet get to know and understand different cultures, different lifestyles, different mentalities, different perspectives.

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose." Janice Joplin
Where did/do you live overseas? Just curious, as haven't done this ever.
Just Mexico for a few months. Technically not overseas but felt like a completely different world.

Well that's an exaggeration, but I mean it felt familiar, but at the same time completely different from the US. Society was still society, you still had to rent an apartment, pay bills, use public transportation, but how it all went was just...Different from the United States in ways I'm not sure I can fully articulate.

For better or for worse, Mexico felt more...Real.

Speaking of insurance.....

When you're setting up your car insurance, take the time to ask the agent some questions, and make sure you understand the answers. Some of the info can surprise you. Insurance companies want you to pay the most premium in exchange for the least payback.

One you really need to know is the difference between Replacement Cost (RC) and Actual Cash Value (ACV), if you have an accident. Compare each one, RC cost & payback, vs ACV cost & payback.

Also, they will offer several options as to how much deductible you will have to pay towards each repair ($1,000, $500, $200, $100, or $0). Ask how much the premium for each will be. My neighbor was shocked: she had a $500 deductible, someone broke her tail light in a parking lot, the repair total was $700, she had to pay the $500, ins. co. paid $200. She asked how much more her premium would have cost if she had had $0 deductible... She was shocked to find that it would have cost her only $44 more per year. She had ended up paying $456 more for the repair than the cost for no deductible.

Always remember that insurance companies are in the premium-collecting business, NOT the claim-paying business.

I'm not sure if this will help, but I was thinking of getting down to Central America cheaply during the pandemic, and I didn't want to fly. Someone told me about Rome2Rio, and although I've never actually used it yet, it was cool to find "alternative transportation modes' that didn't cost alot, except time. It's kinda fun to "armchair travel" on the site, and see where the bus/train/ferry might take you. Maybe it will come in handy...
Here's the linkie.

Speaking of insurance.....

When you're setting up your car insurance, take the time to ask the agent some questions, and make sure you understand the answers. Some of the info can surprise you. Insurance companies want you to pay the most premium in exchange for the least payback.

One you really need to know is the difference between Replacement Cost (RC) and Actual Cash Value (ACV), if you have an accident. Compare each one, RC cost & payback, vs ACV cost & payback.

Also, they will offer several options as to how much deductible you will have to pay towards each repair ($1,000, $500, $200, $100, or $0). Ask how much the premium for each will be. My neighbor was shocked: she had a $500 deductible, someone broke her tail light in a parking lot, the repair total was $700, she had to pay the $500, ins. co. paid $200. She asked how much more her premium would have cost if she had had $0 deductible... She was shocked to find that it would have cost her only $44 more per year. She had ended up paying $456 more for the repair than the cost for no deductible.

Always remember that insurance companies are in the premium-collecting business, NOT the claim-paying business.
Great info and thoughts! Thanks for posting. Another land mine to avoid!