Is this a black water or grey water drain?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigT

Reaction score
Just wondering if this black, ABS plastic drain and valve are used to empty the toilet or the shower on this RV?  

It kind of looks like a makeshift septic tank system, designed to allow, hopefully, the solids to sink to the bottom of the blue tub, and let the liquids pour over the top and onto the ground.  :s

I don't know anything about RV, though, so maybe it's a grey water drain valve.  I see a hose attached to the side, so it's pretty clear they're taking water in.  It has to go somewhere.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_a02.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_a02.jpeg
    409.6 KB
I hope that’s gray but it sure doesn’t look like the gray lever is pulled.. it’s hard to see if the black lever is pulled. In any event... YUK

In every RV (7 of them) I've owned, there was only one drain opening that drained both gray and black tanks. Each tank has its own black pvc pipe that, when the valve handle was pulled, it drained into the main drain pipe where one would normally have a hose connected to a dump opening into a sewer system somewhere. And I agree with Cammalu, it looks like the gray valve handle is closed.

From the color of what's in the bucket, that isn't just gray water waste.

Agree with Stargazer. How do you deal with that bucket of sludge? better off looking for a blue boy and using a lot less water, are you stationary for long periods and not close to any dump station? It can be a challenge. Good luck.

One wouldn’t want to be parked in the vicinity of that hot mess.

It’s possible there is only one tank, both grey and black draining to the same place.

I only see the one valve.

It’s a mess wherever they are. Just look at all the garbage on the ground. Where the hell is this anyway?

Many years ago at a huge chili cook-off I attended, one of the teams was serving steaming hot chili out of a toilet bowl.

I'm not kidding...

BTW, it was delicious!

:cool:

The company I work for took over the lease on the property and bought a bunch of the equipment. Unfortunately the yard came with 3 old RV's with people living in them. Slobs, from the look of the place. There's garbage everywhere, and at least this one unit has its sewage dumping into a bucket.

One of my managers told me that March was "cleanup month" and that the RV's would soon be history, along with the mess (I"ll believe that when I see it).

Rvs have a black tank and a grey tank both of which drain out the same valve. The black handle is pulled first and is normally closest to the valve opening. Once it has drained the grey water handle is pulled. This one is further up under the unit. Both should be closed once the tanks have emptied. The reason the drain is going into that container is because there is no sewer drain to hook to. The companies involved, owners and lessors are in for heavy fines and suspension of use when they are caught. This is the height of irresponsibility for everyone involved.

The only handle I see in the picture is red.

I mentioned the issue to my boss and showed him the photo, so I'm confident he'll address the issue. Our other yard is run and maintained properly and legally. This new location is a company that was going out of business (big surprise) so he got it for a song.

The plan is to clean it up, run it the right way, and make a ton of money off it. Well, I won't see a ton of extra cash, but the company will, and that's good for everyone.