Is public drinking water safe?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wont drink it. Lotsa nasty stuff in tap water like fluoride and some municipalities are doing “toilet to tap” now. (Ha, what could go wrong?!) I drink about a gallon of water a day so I want water that tastes good too so I get mine from those RO machines that are outside of most grocery stores.

I have a berkey filter for any water I may question. It's a gravity system
Berkey rocks! Bought 1 years ago but a few years back gave it 2 my dawter as she lives near the Atlantic coast in hurricane country. I figured she prolly need it one day more than me.

I know every safe water faucet for my own satisfaction frum San Diego to Yuma to El Paso to South Padre Island then along the Gulf Coast to Gulfport to Pensacola to Naples to Fla Keys north along Atlantic to Jacksonville to Folly Beach, SC to NC OBX to Va Bch back to Lake Michigan.
Haven’t gotten sik yet or died……. Livin lifelong on the road; jungles & wilderness builds a great immune system. 😎
Ohh make sure you carry several differing faucet handles; especially for the recessed spigots that u can’t get a set of pliers on. 😎

Sayin
jonny just plain livin too good 😊

I’ve only used the white filters when I was in SoCal desert getting water frum the canal; about 7 or 8 years back. I’m still alive and the only heavy metals I’ve really ever worried about are ones traveling really really fast called bullets. 😎

But yeah big lawsuits ongoing tween numerous parties: https://www.greenmatters.com/health-and-wellness/berkey-lawsuit-2023#:~:text=According to Wirecutter by The,purification tests conducted by Berkey.

INTJohn
Thanks for posting this.

This paragraph in particular really struck me - "Berkey's response to complaints of its filters not having NSF/ANSI certification is that it conducts its own independent lab tests to check for "far more contaminants than the applicable NSF certifications." The brand also states that required fees make NSF certification overly expensive, and they prefer to pass on the savings to customers."

Um, what savings? Berkeys are expensive. I know because I own one!

Thanks for posting this.

This paragraph in particular really struck me - "Berkey's response to complaints of its filters not having NSF/ANSI certification is that it conducts its own independent lab tests to check for "far more contaminants than the applicable NSF certifications." The brand also states that required fees make NSF certification overly expensive, and they prefer to pass on the savings to customers."

Um, what savings? Berkeys are expensive. I know because I own one!
Yet one more reason I'm switching to NSF certified filters when I replace mine. If I could afford it I would send a sample of tap water and berkey water in for testing to independently verify the purity of my filtered water...

I don't know if this is totally relevant, but....

I was not willing to pay for a Berkey, so I designed and built my own system. I used 2 plastic water containers I purchased from Walmart and a ceramic Dome filter ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TH979TL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) purchased from Amazon. Total price was <$40 vs the $500+ of the Berkey. If I am especially concerned with water source, I boil the water before adding it to my DIY system. I am planning to rebuild with non-plastic containers soon as I have become more concerned about microplastics, but I just thought I'd add another option to the discussion.