Is it okay to even have a pet as you age?

Help Support Van Living Forum:

vanbrat

Reaction score
My mom is in her 80's and is already talking about their next dog.... The problem is they are in bad shape and don't do a good job taking care of the old guy they have now. They mostly live in their RV, but it is parked in my sons yard. He takes care of their dog when they go to doc. appointments and such. He makes sure they have remembered to get dog food for him etc. His wife takes him to get his nails clipped and she makes sure he has what ever else he needs as she does for her own dogs

When here, about 1/3 of the time, we take care to take him out and his food is delt with and we clean up when they forget to let him out. We watch out for owls etc. at night and we chase after him when he wanders off.

While I love the companionship he gives and want them to always have a dog around, we are already aware that our own ability to take on another dog is about over. My son and his wife are at about the same place. They also have 2 senior dogs and are going to take a brake from animal care and turn to baby care. At least for a few years. I can't imagine them going to long with out a dog and they both want their kids, when and if, to be raised with dogs.

The questions you ask about should, could, would, can only be answered by you. And for the first time in 50 yrs I am feeling the same thing. I can't imagine life dogless, but hubby and I are wanting to travel and not just in the van which totally needs a doggy. But when we fly somewhere it is much more complicated. And I only want to do right by my dogs.

Maybe when the time comes we will feel differently. I tried for a few months and that was as long as I could take being dogless.

NctryBen

Reaction score
I think I’m on my fourth never going to have a dog again dog. Haha! I do ok for about a year and bam... either my kids bring me a pup or someone will toss a posting of one in my face. I’m kind of a sucker that way... But I’m a one dog person. I mean, everyone has a dog. So when you get together you have a potential of a good number of dogs. The one I have currently was a rescue that would be dead had I not taken her in. She was that close! I think the funniest thing is how she reacts to different people and how she remembers everybody... some like her, some don’t... I try to be respectful with her. Disperse camping makes it easier to give her space. I almost always can get away from people and take her for walks. Should we have pets? Absolutely! If your so wired that is... but only if you can take care of it properly. Many rescue situations can let you try one out.... see if your compatible. Should something happen to me? I just try to make it so she’d have a chance. My biggest worry with my current one is she’d probably protect my body to where they’d have to put her down to get to me...

RoamerRV428

Reaction score
one can also do an 'old dog' rescue that has limited time on this planet and one which is probably you will outlive but ya take on maybe vet bills and more but the 'ones on the way out' are left behind all the time cause no one wants them, kinda like us humans sometimes.

everyone thinks about 'what suits' them but in the end in a fair way, no one really cares 'about what dog' they can rescue and save and give a shorter term great life.

always about us and never about them in truth.

vanbrat

Reaction score
one can also do an 'old dog' rescue that has limited time on this planet and one which is probably you will outlive but ya take on maybe vet bills and more but the 'ones on the way out' are left behind all the time cause no one wants them, kinda like us humans sometimes.

everyone thinks about 'what suits' them but in the end in a fair way, no one really cares 'about what dog' they can rescue and save and give a shorter term great life.

always about us and never about them in truth.
I have thought of that and it is a good thought Just not sure Mom can do it and son doesn't need to do it and when I am not around like now ????????

RoamerRV428

Reaction score
I have thought of that and it is a good thought Just not sure Mom can do it and son doesn't need to do it and when I am not around like now ????????
it must fit one's lifestyle to give an older pet a great shorter life but if it truly does not work into the dynamics of the family, sure...don't do it.

but that can and are able....maybe :)

keebler

Reaction score
im 79 in 2 days ..4 years ago i had a massive heart attack. out at B.O.L. now with stints& a pacemaker, had to move 100 miles closer to town near Hospital, i needed some companionship, so i called the county Rescue Found a homeless, all torn up Kitty,they were going to put her down that Day, she's almost blind & deaf like i am. we needed each other. she;s not real loving but sleeps at my feet. This gives me someone to care about. makes my life worth sticking around. Pets definitely help,
keebler