Is an FJ Cruiser worth it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon

Reaction score
I found a cruiser, 2007 model. It's only a little more than $10,000, but it's got over 200 thousand miles, and has an accident report.

The only reason I'm even considering it is because it's so cheap. Otherwise, I'm just considering pulling the trigger and trading my car in for a new or slightly used truck or SUV.

Haven't tested it yet, I'm betting it's crap, but what's the chances of it still being good?

Like any used vehicle, it all depends on how it was maintained.

There may be a good reason why it's cheap. Getting it checked out by a qualified mechanic will help a lot.

What kind of accident? Does it have a salvage title? If so, you may have trouble getting it insured.

Like any used vehicle, it all depends on how it was maintained.

There may be a good reason why it's cheap. Getting it checked out by a qualified mechanic will help a lot.

What kind of accident? Does it have a salvage title? If so, you may have trouble getting it insured.

You know, I never understood the logistics of that. Do I just, drive it over to a mechanic during a test drive? Will they allow that?

They didn't say what kind of accident but I'll check its page and ask about the title.

You'd have to get a mechanic lined up first,a time,price,etc. Yeah, scheduling can be a problem. Check with the seller if and when he could make it available to be checked out.

BTW: $10k isn't exactly overly cheap for that year IMO. But then these days it might be considered cheap with the market. Is it at a dealership?

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2007/Toyota/FJ-CRUISER-V6-4WD/Utility-4D-4WD/Values
PS: Your zip code can make a difference in price.

Last edited:
I did a brief search for approximate value of that vehicle. It is quite a bit below what a 2007 would sell for. This leads me to believe there are issues with it and whoever is selling it really wants to unload it and be done with it. I would be very careful with this one. Maybe it's a deal, maybe not. You definitely would want it checked out thoroughly by a mechanic of your choosing, not the choice of the seller.

It was a bit of a challenge—the sites like edmunds and kbb wanted a lot of info I didn't have. But, looking at that year and model for sale at various dealers, I was seeing prices about 5K or higher than the 10K asking price. Granted, these all looked quite clean.

I think a lot of it boils down to what kind of an accident it was in—minor fender bender or something that bent the frame?

Retail prices at dealers will be higher than private sellers and the OP hasn't said yet. That gives them room to give you $1000's of dollars on your old beat up trade-in that's worth beans to make you think you're getting a good deal. Maybe not now but in normal market times you could almost always offer them 10-15% less than their advertised price and they'd take it.

We have a 2007 FJ in the family with under 100K. Awesome vehicle "if" it has been cared for and not abused. 200K plus miles and an accident report are two of the biggest red flags for me however others I know don't flinch with 200K +. Accident could also have been minor and no biggie but at least you need to find out what the accident entailed in repairs. Is the title clear?

I assume that since you are posting this on a van living forum, you are looking at living or camping in the FJ. I just built a simple frame work for a bed in the FJ. The FJ is a great vehicle that really holds their value and can make a great off road camping vehicle with a few tweaks. It does require the removal of the rear seat back on one side in order to reach about 72" of length. Plus the front passenger seat is tilted all the way forward. Here is a picture of what we did inside.

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 15
  • File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 16
  • File_002.jpeg
    File_002.jpeg
    412.4 KB · Views: 14
Sorry, been working. It's a dealership. Going to test drive it, and if it doesn't seem absolutely terrible, I'll see if I can get it to a mechanic before purchase.

Last I checked they're still getting it fixed up. Idk maybe I'm better off just getting a new vehicle, but we'll see.

I found it difficult to see traffic lights in the newer FJ's. The roof goes far forward. The FJ was made off road capable, and much damage can be done off road, (bent frames, roll overs etc.). For something to live in, (even part time), I think other things will work better. Go off roading alone and break down it will cost a ton to get it out. Normal tow companies will not leave a County road. I belonged to a 4wd group years ago and we took turns towing each other out.

I found it difficult to see traffic lights in the newer FJ's. The roof goes far forward. The FJ was made off road capable, and much damage can be done off road, (bent frames, roll overs etc.). For something to live in, (even part time), I think other things will work better. Go off roading alone and break down it will cost a ton to get it out. Normal tow companies will not leave a County road. I belonged to a 4wd group years ago and we took turns towing each other out.
**** maybe I should just get a new SUV or truck.

I really like how the FJ looks, it's a very cool looking car.
IIRC it was designed by the same guys that designed the Mini Cooper and the Musicman Bongo bass guitar.
I also have a high regard for Toyota mechanical reliability.
However the internal volume is pretty slight considering how big the car is.
It takes up roughly the same space of a van, but has the internal capacity of an SUV.

Very much in agreement about the FJ. They are quite capable (but heavy) for serious off-road remote camping. That said, low mileage FJs command some serious outlay these days - I saw a minty 2013 recently, asking price $39900!
IMHO, if an FJ meets your specific needs, go for it. Operative phrase is "specific needs", for there are better (and more comfy) alternatives at that price point.