Is AAA worth it for towing protection?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have basic AAA and mine only covers a tow for 5 miles. After that you have to pay. I used it a few years ago to tow my little Honda from where it broke down to my preferred auto shop... think I had to pay 50 bucks or so. I've used their service to replace a battery, also a little expensive but they did send a mobile mechanic to do it for me when I couldn't even jump the car. Convenient but not cheap.

I ttaveled all summer in my SUV (So my van will feel like a mansion) . And I have Geico-they have towing as part of the insurance. I know AAA has other benefits- I may look into it. I felt good with Geico when I needed a jump. Years.ago my cell phone carrier offered Roadside Assistance for like 5.00 a month. Maybe they still do?!

you need to find a service that will cover towing from a dirt road. Interview them!

Funny this came up this morning as I just had a car stolen and was reviewing my policy with State Farm.
I'm planing a 4K mile trip in November and was double checking. I do have Road side assistance that is essentially the same service as AAA offers. One BIG difference, Classic Membership with AAA is $51.00 a year, State Farm is $5.60 a year!

I have used their service once for a lockout. Called the 800 number and a truck arrived with in an hour to a remote location. popped it open and away we both went.
I now have a hidden spare remote and key!

Plant said:
...I do all my own repairs, anything and everything. If I'm anywhere near home, I'd have it towed home and fix it myself....

Even though it seems you're not a full-time nomad yet, I think it's a helpful mind adjustment to start thinking of your vehicle as home, as your base. Bring enough tools that you can fix it wherever it might break down. Better yet, since you're mechanically skilled, use your knowledge to do preventive repairs before you hit the road and to do maintenance along the way.

I have a AAA premier membership. IMO, it is not worth the cost. I just added roadside assistance to my insurance for about 1/8 the cost of AAA. Also, AAA pays their providers the least of any of the roadside assistance companies. As you can imagine, that puts your call pretty low on the totem pole for priority. I waited over 3 hours for a tow while blocking traffic on a major road when my ball joint gave out while I was driving at 55 mph. 3 hours of tractor trailers running up behind me when I could not move out of the way. I will never use or renew AAA again.

FloridaNomad said:
"I have a AAA premier membership. IMO, it is not worth the cost. I just added roadside assistance to my insurance for about 1/8 the cost of AAA...."

I have read reviews of several towing services, posted on forums such as the Escapees' RVNetwork and covered on Youtube channels.There is a lot of unhappiness expressed about nearly all of them.

I have the AAA towing service but have not used it yet. An advantage of AAA is that one of their packages offers towing up to 200 miles, limited to once per year.

Regarding tow services offered by insurance companies, one nomad noticed that her annual rate was being raised. She called the company to complain, noting to the agent that she had never made any claims. The agent disagreed, saying that the nomad *had* made a claim during the last year. It turns out that the company counted the nomad's call for a tow as a claim. So before signing on to an insurance company's tow service, it is worth clarifying whether or not they consider a tow call to be a claim, which can lead to a rate increase.

I'm insured with GEICO and have towing in the policy. There is no limit to how many tows I get per year or where the vehicle is being towed from. After several years of being a customer of them and using their services many times over these years, I must say that I am happy with them.

My independent insurance agent informed me in many polices it counts as a claim and advised my future rates may be affected is that the case with GEICO?

I've had GEICO since 1984, before they were public. (the acronym is actually for Government Employee Insurance Company). I've had a few tows over the years and my rates have never been raised because of them.

I called AAA and the receptionist said they absolutely DO NOT come out to dirt roads!!!!
So, if you're camping 20-30 miles deep down a dirt road, having AAA is worthless!!!!!!

I've had AAA Premium for years, enough that they give me a renewal break now. I've not had a year that I haven't used it, either for myself, family, or friends. Correct, they won't tow out of a dirt road or the woods, but AAA sub-contracts out to local towing companies so that's not always a hard\fast rule. Last year I broke about 1/2 mile off the beaten patch on a fire road. I called and gave them the intersection with the main road. When the driver showed up, I said "it's just back here" and he pulled me out anyway. I've had two who have had no problem taking a project car I just bought out of the seller's backyard and delivered it to my house, I've had one flat refuse. It is a total crap shoot. Though, last year when I was with family and the ex's back caliper seized up 285 miles from home, it more than paid for itself. Had to pay the last 85 miles at $1 a mile, but the driver said that it would have been a $1000 tow without AAA (the additional mileage is negotiated at a lower rate). Ive had them bring me 5 gallons of gas when I stopped to help someone who ran out of gas and was stranded with 2 little ones, had them tow an accident victim who had no money (I'm a volunteer EMT up here in Maine), and jumped me at 2am when I had a door switch fail and my dome light didn't shut off. It's cheap insurance in my mind.