Introducing Rover

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkiz

Reaction score
Greetings from New Jersey! Earlier this month I bought Rover, an '89 Ford E-150 Club Wagon:

hulcW81.png

I'm in the early phases of turning her into a camper. I've removed the seats and carpet -- next up will be a thorough cleaning and new floor. Then I'll be building out a bed over two dog crates and installing a "kitchen" area. 

The dog crates are for my small dog sled team, which is the main reason I entered the van world. The goal is to stealth camp at mushing trails without needing to set up and break down a traditional tent campsite.

Here's my dryland dog rig on her back:

BHgtg8Y.png

And with my little team!:
raWb2lO.png

I think Rover will serve you and your team well.

Welcome jkiz to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. that's cool with the mushing can we hear more? highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL Forum   :)

Nice rig ya got there !   Bet you're goinna like it here.  Plenty of ideas and information to help you get set up
in these Forums. 

My first website below is largely the kind of build you are describing.  You're welcome to view it and borrow
any ideas from it that may be helpful to you.   The second site is for once you are on the road and planning
trips, side trips, Itineraries, finding support you may need when away from your home area, and bunches of
handy information to have at your fingertips.

eDJ_ said:
Welcome to the CRVL Forum   :)

Nice rig ya got there !   Bet you're goinna like it here.  Plenty of ideas and information to help you get set up
in these Forums. 

My first website below is largely the kind of build you are describing.  You're welcome to view it and borrow
any ideas from it that may be helpful to you.   The second site is for once you are on the road and planning
trips, side trips,  Itineraries, finding support you may need when away from your home area, and bunches of
handy information to have at your fingertips.

Awesome! Thanks so much. I've been a long time lurker here and a few other places. It's been incredibly helpful.

Well how cool is that, a musher! Welcome, can't wait to see you build...and more pics of the dogs of course.

Welcome to another musher team we must have a dozen on this forum. No wait, I'm wrong, you may be the only one. Welcome to your mush dogs too.

Queen said:
Well how cool is that, a musher!  Welcome, can't wait to see you build...and more pics of the dogs of course.

Definitely! It'll be interesting to accommodate myself and four (possibly 5 soon) dogs in the van, but it'll be a big upgrade from tent camping.

dragonflyinthesky said:
Welcome to another musher team we must have a dozen on this forum. No wait, I'm wrong, you may be the only one. Welcome to your mush dogs too.

Thanks! I was curious to see if any other mushers were on here. I actually first got into trucks and bigger vehicles through the sport. Dog truck setup is a really cool world in itself, and I've seen a few mushers with amazing conversions. Next time I go to a race or meetup I'll grab pictures of any cool ones I see.