Intro new member

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gertie, what kind of truck do you have? That tow limit seems low. I have an old 4runner, and they say it has a tow limit of 5k pounds. I'm going to try to keep it under 3 since it is older, but 1300 pounds seems way low for a truck.

phyllisindallas said:
Gertie, what kind of truck do you have? That tow limit seems low. I have an old 4runner, and they say it has a tow limit of 5k pounds. I'm going to try to keep it under 3 since it is older, but 1300 pounds seems way low for a truck.

I'm glad you asked!  I'm learning every day.  Went out to check and this is what's on the door sticker:  GVWR: 4700 lb; GAWR FR: 2531 lb; GAWR RR: 2531 lb.  There's nothing that says the actual tow limit.  It's a Nissan Frontier, '06.  

I think the 1300 is possibly the weight of that ill-fated travel trailer I bought and regretted years ago.  I do vaguely remember taking it to be weighed.

I found my tow weight on the web. You can do that too- just google your vehicle and the year and "tow weight".

Nissan Frontier '06 towing capacity - 3,500 to 6,500 lbs . . . not bad.

I was going to say, I'm driving a 2005 Ford Taurus sedan and the towing capacity is 1200 lbs so I thought 1300 for a truck was kind of low.

The van I'm planning to buy should be able to pull up to 6200 lbs. but I'm not certain I want to pay for the extra gas mileage to do so. I'm going to get a good towing setup anyway.

You may talk to your local you haul guy or moving company. A lot of them either auction or sale older vehicles. They are well maintained but my have high miles

Smitty716 said:
You may talk to your local you haul guy or moving company. A lot of them either auction or sale older vehicles. They are well maintained but my have high miles

Do the high miles matter............as long as the vehicle is well maintained?

Smitty716 said:
I plan to.  I'm just taking it slow though, can't afford to make any mistakes. Thanks!

Gertie said:
Do the high miles matter............as long as the vehicle is well maintained?

Yes, they matter. Think of a vehicle as like a person's age. No matter how well you maintain them, they have a finite amount of years (miles). That said, I would rather have a vehicle that was well maintained with 75k miles on it than a vehicle that wasn't with 50k miles.

I have a 4runner with 190k miles on it, which is a lot in general for a vehicle, but Toyotas more reliable in general than other makes, and I have had it since it had 60k miles on it, and have been taking good care of it since then. I expect to get another 100k miles out of it (actually probably less since it will be my tow vehicle, but hopefully not a lot less).

travelaround said:
TravelAround, may I suggest that you scan the documents you want to keep? Many libraries have a copier with a scanner and you can just feed everything in and save as a PDF to a thumb drive or other small device.  I've been doing that to get the paper out of my life!