Intro new member

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gertie

Reaction score
:)  Hello everyone!  I'm Gertie.  I'm new to all this and don't have a "house with wheels" yet.  Still looking and thinking about it all. I'm in Texas, and I've been following Carolyn's RV Life, so that's how I found ya'll!  I'll mostly be listening for awhile 'til I get the hang of everything....hope that's all right.  I'm an older female, retired, husband passed in 2014, in the years after that I lost pretty much all of my family.  My "kids" are my dogs and they're all old like me.  Thanks for listening.  Have a great day!

Greetings Gertie!!
Pretty much same for me except I'm a little further along the path as I've been looking into this, or some version of it, for the past 3-4 yrs. Past retirement age and don't really have family that I'm tied too so I'm going on a lifelong adventure!! 

Lots of good helpful folks here and I think one can find ALL the basics, and more, that they need here. I hope you do as well!

Regards,
Marcus

Gertie,
I may be telling you something you already know but there's a women only forum here as well.
Again, best of all it to ya!

Welcome Gertie to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome to the forum, good luck finding the perfect van or rv when you get ready. All you need to do is ask away if you have questions. The people here are great

Thanks, Danny! Appreciate the warning. I've started reading up, and actually, I have a notebook full of advice from Carolyn's videos already. Lots to learn. :)

highdesertranger said:
Welcome Gertie to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.  highdesertranger

Thank you!

highdesertranger said:
Welcome Gertie to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.  highdesertranger
Thank you!  Just printed out the Tips, Tricks, and Rules.

Hi Gertie, welcome to the forum! Like you, I don't have a van yet but am starting to make changes to make that happen. Primarily, I"m downsizing first on my ominous collection of paper. I'd like to reduce my paper holdings to two file cabinet drawers. Well, have to start somewhere! I anticipate I'll be able to make a home in a van about six months from now.

HI...we are downsizing big time now and getting all the ducks in the row to hit the open road without any tie downs for our future. nomadic is where we want to be :)
I hope you get a chance to let it all go and live on the road and enjoy your future adventures!

Gertie said:
:)  Hello everyone!  I'm Gertie.  I'm new to all this and don't have a "house with wheels" yet.  Still looking and thinking about it all. I'm in Texas, and I've been following Carolyn's RV Life, so that's how I found ya'll!  I'll mostly be listening for awhile 'til I get the hang of everything....hope that's all right.  I'm an older female, retired, husband passed in 2014, in the years after that I lost pretty much all of my family.  My "kids" are my dogs and they're all old like me.  Thanks for listening.  Have a great day!

Hi Gertie! I'm in Texas, too, and a dog owner.

Thank you to everyone for your welcoming messages! I have to confess: I'm not a tech person, and probably never will be. So if I sound confused or like I'm lost in left field....I probably am. I'm really enjoying "listening" to the chitchat and advice, though. And, in fact, I'm writing quite a bit in my notebook. Thank you, everyone! Gertie

Hello Gertie!
I can relate to losing lots...I guess it's that time of life...

Smitty716 said:
Welcome to the forum, good luck finding the perfect van or rv when you get ready. All you need to do is ask away if you have questions. The people here are great

Thank you, Smitty716, I am wondering about the "box vans"...I'm seeing some really nice "creations" but I'm not finding any for sale in my area.  Still looking though.  I've already had one mishap several years back, buying a vintage travel trailer and finding the paperwork he gave me was NOT the title.....that's how stupid I was: 1) for taking his word, 2) for not knowing what a title looks like.  I think the phrase is, He saw me coming!  Anyway, onward.

Gardenias said:
Hello Gertie!
I can relate to losing lots...I guess it's that time of life...

Yes, time just zips right by, sometimes I'm surprised I'm still here!

Gertie, I'm guessing most people buy the box van, or cargo trailer, or whatever and fix it up themselves, so probably not a lot "done" for sale, and if you do find one fully tricked out, it will be very expensive.

I've been looking at buying a new cargo trailer and fixing it up, and watching a lot of youtube videos to try to educate myself.

I'm no expert by any means, but I suggest doing a search in youtube or google for what you are thinking of, and gradually defining what works for you.

Here's an example of my first paragraph. New 6x12 cargo trailer, about 3k. New 6x12 cargo trailer with insulation, windows, etc, from weeroll (as featured from one of Bob's vids) 7k. Fully redone and tricked out cargo trailer 6x12 15k or more. This is why I will be buying a new bare bones cargo trailer and doing it myself. It seemed intimidating at first, but after watching a ton of videos, I figure once I have done the insulation, and maybe a window, it will be "livable" and I can work with what I have to make it work.

I don't plan on worrying about wiring or plumbing. If I want to upscale later I can. I can throw a mattress on the floor, and I have a great bucket with a toilet seat, so really, isn't everything after that gravy? :)

On buying trailers - watch for weights . . . how much can your tow vehicle safely tow, and how much does the trailer weigh with and without your improvements? Trailers increase gasoline expenditures as well.

travelaround said:
On buying trailers - watch for weights . . . how much can your tow vehicle safely tow, and how much does the trailer weigh with and without your improvements? Trailers increase gasoline expenditures as well.

yes, that's one reason I was looking for box van....something I'd drive, rather than tow.  My truck is 12 years old and weight limit 1300.  Don't really want additional expense of buying a tow vehicle as well.

travelaround said:

Or I should say, leaning towards the box van.