Internet on the Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojokomo

Reaction score
Hi,
i have been a work from home person for a few years, and I'm thinking of buying a Caravan (probably bigger) next year and hitting the road. I'm trying to track areas across the US with the best internet and the longest stay allowed. My hours right now are from 8;30-5PM (M-F), and I'd love to live where my weekends would be spent walking thru woods, a little hike here and there, and/or a place near water with fish.

I know it's a big wishlist, but I"m also a lifetime member of National Parks, and though it's great to have access to every one of them, I love knowing I could finally have a lifestyle that focuses more on nature than city-life
Maia

There is ample discussion here in this forum that will easily keep you reading for a day or so.

I have Starlink ( post here and video online).. it is expensive but blows away the competition in terms of speed and connectivity in rural areas.

Others do well enough for their needs using cell data.

With a clear shot at the northern sky Starlink works very well with very few drops for me at this point, although there are still times when the sats just are not over head, but the density has been going up dramatically over the last year... On Jan 1 of this year there were 1500 Sats in service. as of this writing there are 2642 operational, with hundreds up there being moved into operational positions... I am not a fan boi as such, just pitching the numbers out there...

Right now, if you want to "get out there" and stay out there, there is only one real choice. If you can stay in range of cell services you have a lot more choice.

I will again stress, if you can get terrestrial services that serve your needs, you do not need Starlink... if *I* could do that I would too... If I didn't use 100s of GB and lived differently, I also would...

Read.. lots... watch videos

YMMV IANAL

Welcome! This life is all about choices and compromises. Hope you make good ones and find one you enjoy!

SolidRF brand cell boosters are going to be the cheapest, and most feature rich cell signal boosters that support both 4G and 5G, plan to spend about $400. The best data plan I have found it T-Mobile which sells 100Gb plans for $50/mo I believe.
Starlink is the alternative. $600 for a dish and $150/mo for the RV plan. There are data caps for peak usage times (8am-11pm if I remember) but after 11pm throttling between users is still in effect, but there is no data being counted towards a cap. At 3am I've gotten 180 megabit speed peak!
Note you will share bandwith if you are in the same "cell" as other Starlink users, so RV parks with a lot of other users you will be sharing the bandwith. I have not had a problem using it for WFH at all.

The concept of cellular company putting up cell towers within a National Park, which is by intent a nature preserve, makes it seem highly unlikely. The goal is to get you out in nature, not sitting staring at an electronic device. So do not count on great high speed cell service in the National Parks.

The National Parks I have visited (only a few) did not have cell signals good enough for internet browsing. I had to use the Wi-Fi signal at the hotels and restaurants for that.

The towns near the park would be your best bet for a strong enough cellular signal for internet activities.

Last edited:
SolidRF brand cell boosters are going to be the cheapest, and most feature rich cell signal boosters that support both 4G and 5G, plan to spend about $400. The best data plan I have found it T-Mobile which sells 100Gb plans for $50/mo I believe.
Starlink is the alternative. $600 for a dish and $150/mo for the RV plan. There are data caps for peak usage times (8am-11pm if I remember) but after 11pm throttling between users is still in effect, but there is no data being counted towards a cap. At 3am I've gotten 180 megabit speed peak!
Note you will share bandwith if you are in the same "cell" as other Starlink users, so RV parks with a lot of other users you will be sharing the bandwith. I have not had a problem using it for WFH at all.
Starlink doesn't have a cap. After 1TB, your internet traffic is deprioritized. It's only for residential service. Roaming is always deprioritized, but still no cap.

The concept of cellular company putting up cell towers within a National Park, which is by intent a nature preserve, makes it seem highly unlikely. The goal is to get you out in nature, not sitting staring at an electronic device. So do not count on great high speed cell service in the National Parks.

The National Parks I have visited (only a few) did not have cell signals good enough for internet browsing. I had to use the Wi-Fi signal at the hotels and restaurants for that.

The towns near the park would be your best bet for a strong enough cellular signal for internet activities.
Same situation for National Forests.

Inyo NF has US-395 running through it, close to the highway has good signal. Elsewhere no signal.

Another exception, that I am aware of, is in Nevada is US-50 at Bob Scott summit, there is a cell tower located close to the highway inside the NF. There is a network of forest roads in that area for maintenance trucks to have access.

It is to my benefit that people do not realize there is plenty of NFS camping in Northern AZ where you can get useable cell signal 🤣 The monsoon season helps keeps the signal a useable speed.

Last edited:
1) decrease your consumption. I canceled my Netflix and Hulu YEARS ago! I then funded those funds to invest in physical/digital copies of the content that I could watch whenever I wanted. Classic Tv shows is a MUST IMO. having that helps detach your dependency from internet greatly.

2) diversify your cell plans. I have 3 phone carries for under 100 bucks! Visible (25 bucks) Red Pocket (50 bucks) and Mint (15 bucks) likely will switch that one soon for a better ROI..

With that I have unlimited data!!! Visible (Verizon network) trottles during peak times but is truly unlimited, Red Pocket (ATT)is 100G's before it's slowed to a crawl and Mint (T-mobile) is a great spare for when both networks are out of service.

When I was on the road I stayed in Arizona and New Mexico and never had an issue where all 3 didn't have a signal. If I could have gone back and redone things I would have created a google spreadsheet to track my locations and my signal strenth for each network at each location that way when year 2 came I could repeat sites that meet my needs or kept looking for other places when my data needs required better service from another network.

If your based on the cell network you will be limited but there are STILL tons of wonderful places to be in nature within 60 miles of the freeway. Plus if you get stuck or in trouble you have cell signal and your closer to the freeway so you can get help if and when you need it..

I wouldn't recommend venturing waaaaaaay out in the boondocks unless your an expert and if your here asking questions my guess, is your not ready. If you have the funds to invest in a satellite phone or a star link device so many people seem to like then maybe you can go for it.

Also depends on your age IMO. I'm younger so spending time exploring more "bland" out-in-nature sites keep me awing, then when I get bored with them I can venture out farther into those mystical places so far out they are worth the trip and the hassle of getting there and making due with less.. If your older in life go ahead and skip to the good parts ;) ...but if your younger like me why skip to the good part? Cause then anything less is gonna seem like a Walmart parking lot haha.

Cheers, that's just my 2 cents.

Starlink is amazing. I'm in a waitlist area and that's supposed to mean slower internet. I never have buffering. I haven't lost signal even through some pretty impressive storms
Took my system over to a friend's house yesterday. Open the app and it sets itself up....in less than 5 minutes yesterday.
RV version can be paused if you are going to be somewhere with good cell signal.
You should be able to deduct it as a business expense.

Starlink is amazing. I'm in a waitlist area and that's supposed to mean slower internet. I never have buffering. I haven't lost signal even through some pretty impressive storms
Took my system over to a friend's house yesterday. Open the app and it sets itself up....in less than 5 minutes yesterday.
RV version can be paused if you are going to be somewhere with good cell signal.
You should be able to deduct it as a business expense.
I like what I've read and heard about Starlink, but that pricetag... :(

I like what I've read and heard about Starlink, but that pricetag... :(
I don't like it either..... especially since the latest price hike was within a month of receiving my unit. If you are often in areas with poor cell signal it's worth it. How many times in a day do you use the internet? I have limited mobility so I'm online a lot. It's basically my entertainment. Also I do zoom meetings with my Doctors....which means I don't have to fight Dallas traffic. I do zoom meetings with my attorney. I check out books online. We all order stuff online. If I have a medical emergency I can contact help from anywhere.
That's why I'm willing to pay $150 a month.