Insuring your conversion van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzltbeer

Reaction score
I just bought a  van and had all kinds of ideas UNTIL I called my insurance company.  I was with USAA who told me straight out if I sleep in the van it is not covered.  I did some searching and decided to call Geico (I head on a Zoom call someone used them) and Geico has said that any modifications to the structure of the van (drilling, installing etc.) by anything other than a professional van conversion company will not be covered.

I can put items in the van for camping but nothing can be permanently installed.  I'm just curious what others have done?

You are camping. Never mention that you live in your van. There is no reason to mention that you have upgraded to make your vehicle livable. If you want the contents insured get renters insurance.

Also don't tell the Forest/BLM rangers that you live in your vehicle. you are allowed to camp but not to live.

Highdesertranger

If you have an accident with the van and the adjuster sees that you have made alterations to the structure of the van they can deny the claim and/or drop you as an insured, thats a scary thought to me.

If you are just putting stuff on the inside and not cutting stuff out you are not making "alterations to the structure". There are many thread on this subject do a search. Highdesertranger

My insurance carrier presently (starts with a "G") said cutting a hole in your roof for a fan was not allowed, not even drilling holes for solar was allowed, basically I'm going to have a carpenter create a build that can be 'set' into the fan without having to be fastened down. I do have a rack on the top, I think I could have brackets made to hold the solar panels to that bracket.

Not sure about a van but I converted a shuttle bus to a motor home. Titled and registered as a motor home (state of Florida), then was able to get insurance on my newly converted motor home. 
Before the conversion I was unable to get insurance because the VIN # came back as a commercial vehicle. Once it was converted the DMV then changed the title to a motor home and the VIN # was then insurable.
Each state is different but Florida wasnt bad, just fill out a few forms and have them notarized, take them to the DMV and request a new title with the motor home designation

vgilbert said:
Not sure about a van but I converted a shuttle bus to a motor home. Titled and registered as a motor home (state of Florida), then was able to get insurance on my newly converted motor home. 
Before the conversion I was unable to get insurance because the VIN # came back as a commercial vehicle. Once it was converted the DMV then changed the title to a motor home and the VIN # was then insurable.
Each state is different but Florida wasnt bad, just fill out a few forms and have them notarized, take them to the DMV and request a new title with the motor home designation
This is exactly what I was thinking, Need to register the vehicle as a conversion.. People build and make all kinds of custom Vehicles As long as it is legal in the since that it has lights, Mirrors, seatbelts, it can be registered..

OP Look into Registering your vehicle as a camper conversion

buzltbeer said:
My insurance carrier presently (starts with a "G") said cutting a hole in your roof for a fan was not allowed, not even drilling holes for solar was allowed, basically I'm going to have a carpenter create a build that can be 'set' into the fan without having to be fastened down.  I do have a rack on the top, I think I could have brackets made to hold the solar panels to that bracket.

States, and insurance companies, are all over the map on these issues. You may find that registering your van in a different state will help. And that's all I really KNOW. You might want to consult with an independent insurance broker, who will be better able to give you the straight scoop, rather than relying on strangers or a single insurance company. 

I have a cargo van, registered in Washington state as a personal/pleasure vehicle, not a conversion or RV. My bed is attached to the wall, I have a solar panel attached to the roof, and I have a combination battery box/refrigerator stand attached to a wall. That's it for modifications. Everything else is strapped into the van, nothing else is permanently fastened. It could be emptied out in 2 hours flat, including removing the bed, solar panel, and battery box. No additional plumbing or wiring. When I bought the van, I told my insurance agent that it was going to be used for travel/camping. He was good with that. A couple years later, I told him I was going to travel full-time for a while. He was good with that too.

A lot depends on the type of coverage you need. On my old van I just have liability and insuring it was no problem.

If you need full coverage on a newer van then that may be much different.

I'm really sorry I learned that HOWA does not like to give advice concerning insurance, I would never have posted if I had known. Just a short update and then I'm done, I found that an insurance company that starts with an "S" will insure a van conversion as long as you have professionals do it and they do not have to be a (quote) "Van conversion company" (endquote), keep your receipts and they will insure you.

The company that starts with an “A” followed by an “F” did the same for me, simply saved the receipts and the underwriters accepted, well, along with photos of progression. Unbelievable low rate too, less than $80/month.