Insurance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssminnow

Reaction score
Any ideas for getting good insurance on a converted 2001 Astro van?
Is there any way to assign a value for everything and get a full coverage policy for what I would need to replace everything?

If you have apartment / home insurance the contents of your vehicle are covered in those policies, typically, but do confirm this.
I believe If your living in the Van you will need to have it classified as an RV to get the contents covered. Do ask your insurance company what they offer as very often it varies state by state and even city by city.

just my 2¢

full coverage on a super old vehicle, I don't think any ins. co. will do that ever in that why would they and lose money?

if they charged to replacement current value on your 2001 veh...then I would think your prem. would be so astronimical you couldn't afford that anyway???

now not an ins expert but even at some point we all drop 'collision' off our plans cause the veh. is so old ya know but I would hit up an ins. company agent and CHAT IT ALL out but I think that ain't happening. Your best source truly is an ins. comp. rep and chat. Then you find truths on what is out there for what you need.

and replace, what? your added fridge? your added bed? veh. replacement cost only? or? It, to me personally doesn't work ever that way on an ins. issue.

Here's a simple and universal truth: insurance, to cover ANY property, will ultimately cost you more than not having insurance. People buy insurance anyway to cover things they can't afford to lose, such as their house. A 2001 converted van, even with all its contents, is something you can afford to lose. It would suck, but it wouldn't be a catastrophe.

If you could find some company that would actually cover that, the premiums would be ridiculous. Once you find that out, resolve to set aside that much money or more each month for an emergency fund. Pay yourself instead of some insurance company.

mkl654321 said:
Here's a simple and universal truth...

Amen. Insure only what you truly cannot afford to lose, which if you really think about it, shouldn't be much of anything, at least in terms of one's personal possessions. Another way to look at it is to simply not own *anything* that you can't afford to lose. So why have insurance at all, you ask? For the stuff that can throw you into financial ruin seemingly overnight -- medical bills, lawsuits, etc. Not your own personal property. If you can't afford to replace it, then you shouldn't own it. So, for vehicle insurance, carrying anything more than decent liability protection should trigger some serious introspection on the state of one's priorities.

Thanks for the replies! You got me thinking of alternative measures now. Very helpful.

I have to insure my truck and cargo trailer because there's no way in the world I could ever replace them on Social Security. If I were working a full time job I could, but when retired it's a different ball game. I have to buy food, gas and medicine with my monthly check.