Insurance with Progressive

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebraOak

Reaction score
I took this afternoon off to research how to insure my proposed vehicles. My current insurance company is Progressive. After a huge run around, I was told in no uncertain terms, and my call was recorded for legal reasons, that they will NOT insure any commercial vehicle that is being converted to sleep in, not in any state. Zero. Zip. Nada. They WILL insure commercial vehicles that are used personally to haul things - kids to college or boxes - but not to sleep in. 

So from Progressive, I can get no insurance pricing information. Thank goodness I still have six months to get this settled. I'd like to purchase my vehicle in March or April of next year. My #1 choice is a GMC E3500 Cargo Truck, my plan B is a Promaster but I'm not thrilled with that idea.

How have you insured your vehicle - as a personal hauler or as a conversion?
Who is your insurance company or agent?

Specifics please and stay on target. This is a frustration already, and for more than just me.

DebraOak

Most insurance companies will not in sure a DIY conversion. They are afraid you effed something up and will burn it to a crisp and stick them with the bill.

Most companies will also not insure a vehicle as an RV unless it is titled as an RV.

My van is insured as ..... a van. A plain ole ordinary run of the mill everyday white van.

Yes, I have a sleeping cot in the back. That's so I can go camping with it and take road trips when I want to.

Progressive insures my cargo van as just a cargo van. I said nothing about conversions or camping in it.

Have your insurance company specify the exact description of an RV versus a van.

My insurance company said it had to have a permanent bed, a kitchen, and a bathroom in order to be considered an RV.

Since I don't have a "bathroom" I'm not an RV, so I'm insured as a van - I am following and complying with their definition of a van.

Years ago I found a low milage school bus with a 12 valve Cummins I wanted to use mainly just for one week to go to AirVenture in OshKosh Wi. My ins co said school busses were the most dangerous things on the road as they tip over & quoted $1500+ just for PLPD. That shot that idea. I bought an great low milage, no rust diesel ambulance & tagged it a motorhome & no problen with insurance at all. If you get minimal insurance get comp as a mouse family ruined a ford 150 4x4 I only used in the winter by peeing on electrical wiring & components. I had it on storage ins in the summer which is comp.

I bought my Ford Transit cargo van a month ago, which is a commercial vehicle, and easily got it added to my Safeco insurance policy with no questions asked except how many miles a year I planned on driving it.  I wasn't sure but gave a number which in retrospect I think is a bit too low.

I've had Progressive the last four years for my Ford Transit. It has only been insured as a cargo van. But they sent me a message after four years saying they need to know the physical address that I garage the van at. I full time in it and use a SD mail address for everything. This hasn't been a problem until now. I have a little over 3 months left before I renew but without giving them proof of physical address (which I do not have) I will be looking to change insurance providers.

^^^^^^^^^I use Escapees in Florida for my residency.....They provide me an address at a private Escapees RV park in Fl........and forward my mail

They also have the same deal in Texas and SOUTH DAKOTA.......

And Progressive has no problem accepting that Fl. "garage" address........and my Independent Insurance agent knows I'm traveling for the last 3 yrs 

ESCAPEES RV CLUB YEARLY: $40 club fees.....about $120 (+postage escrow) for the mid-priced First-class only address/re-mailing service

I have a 2012 Econoline E-250 van insured through progressive. It looks like it was used commercially by the previous owner but I'm not sure. I bought it from a dealer. It had a steel divider behind the passenger area and a ladder rack on the roof. I didn't have to do anything special to get it registered as a private vehicle in Oregon. I don't live in it but I do camp with it and sleep in it when I do. I assume that if I screwed up anything with my build and it burns to the ground it will not be covered by my insurance. I have insurance to cover me in the case of a collision.

I have a 2006 1 ton Box Van, a converted Uhaul truck. It's titled as a commercial vehicle and is insured by state farm as commercial truck for personal use. I have liability, uninsured/underinsured coverage as I own the truck and do not insure to contents.

Everything inside is screwed together and can be disassembled and removed if needed. It is obvious to anyone what it is used for. If asked,
"It's used for storage and hauling stuff for the occasional camping trip". I was only asked once by my agent and that was 5 years ago.
Insurance in Ohio is $155 a half, but that rate is with 2 vehicles and a home.

The odds of theft or an accident are low but always present so I travel fully aware that I could lose everything tomorrow. That's pretty much true for everyone so not something I worry about.

For those that have a commercial vehicle......what are you paying for premiums? I've heard its expensive because its considered a commercial vehicle, even though you are not using it as such.

F450 here with Progressive and slide in truck camper.

I did an AZ DMV inspection with camper on and was able to get a private party registration, not registured as comm. vehicle.

Insurance was more difficult.
Insured w/ Progressive above min. liability, don't remember figure, and a $20k total loss clause. No comprehensive.

That's running me about $700 yearly and it seems to have gone down a little each year. First year was about $800, circa 2016

^^^^^^^^^^Tony.....Insurance and Registration are both STATE based....Where are YOU ????

In FLORIDA...... Insured as "Commercial vehicle for private use"........Registered as a VAN (personal)

I always recommend calling an Independent Insurance Agent.....He knows I'm a full-time traveler (and now married/insured)

He secured my Progressive insurance "sight-unseen"......using only the VIN # and Drivers License #.....and of course an e-payment

Later he asked for Front, Back, Left and Right Photos.....e-mailed........all paperless

We have FULL coverage +$10K declared value on a 2017 Transit ....(now approaching 100,000 amazing miles)....Premiums about $1500 yr

Just called this morning to check on a different insurance provider. I’m with nationwide at about $2100 and I called progressive and they quoted me at $2600 per year. I think I’ll keep shopping.

We had Progressive, but it was problematic with us full-timing with two vans (2016, 2017)and a trailer (2018). We switched over to Geico, and have been paying $2400 a year for the three vehicles. But we couldn't get contents which covers all the goodies we've bought. So we got a renter's policy from USAA, which also incidentally covers the tiny house we just built. USAA is the only insurance company that would cover me living on a boat, too. Previously we had insurance from Liberty Mutual, but they do not cover full-timers. USAA will not cover full-timers in an RV either.

We just sold the van, but I havent gotten around to canceling the insurance on it. When we sell the trailer and we're down to the one vehicle, we will reevaluate and get new quotes from different insurance companies.
Ted

That's some pretty crazy annual insurance prices for a small commercial vehicle, (...I’m with nationwide at about $2100 and I called progressive and they quoted me at $2600 per year. I think I’ll keep shopping.)

Wow, $200 a month is 2/3rds of my last house's property tax bill. Without knowing your driving record, I'd definitely be figuring out how to just use a plain ol' passenger van which could be insured for 1/10th that amount.

When you title your van tell Motor Vehicle Department that it is not being used commercially, unless you are actually using it in your business. Getting a private or camper type title will also take off the flags you get at weigh stations so no need to stop there anymore.

I have mine titled as a van, and just the vehicle is insured not all my priceless fancy build out (worth $750) and my used condition camping gear. I can buy a lot of new stuff for the price of excessive insurance premiums. 

Also evaluate the value of your van and the cost point that the insurance will total it at. Better to save up a repair fund yourself than to throw away money on collision policies with an insurance company that will not pay out in the event of a wreck. 
-crofter

Link to article, varies by state.
https://www.insure.com/car-insurance/car-totaling.html

Real life example:

2017 RAM Promaster cargo van - purchase price $22k

Current private sale value on cargurus site about $15k

Cost of full coverage insurance about $1200 per year

AZ total at 75% of pre accident value or $11,250

That is about half of what I paid for the van used a couple years ago. Pretty soon I will want to switch from full coverage to liability policy and save the premiums in my emergency fund for future repairs as needed.
-crofter

2004 Chevy Express 1500 registered as personal truck, insured with Geiko (full coverage) for 646 a year .
I have been with Geiko for over 25 years, no claims, no tickets.

Sofisintown said:
2004 Chevy Express 1500 registered as personal truck, insured with Geiko  (full coverage) for 646 a year .
I have been with Geiko for over 25 years,  no claims, no tickets.
Another real world example:
2004 Chevy Express 1500
Current Private Sale value on cargurus is $6,000
AZ total at 75% of pre accident value is $4,500
Cost of full coverage insurance $646 yearly

Not sure if your insurance would actually pay out much in a wreck, after the deductible is subtracted. I think my policy is even marginal at $11k to total it. Body damage adds up fast.
-crofter