Insurance for Class B

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasTuff

Reaction score
I recently bought a Class B motorhome. Today I solved the wiring issues to the running light and have all repairs made that should allow it to pass state inspection. I need to have liability insurance on it before inspection. I've tried several online companies and each turned me down. 
I have no violations for the last 20 years.
I am 73.
This will be my only vehicle for some time.
I only paid $2300 for the coach, that seems to be a problem for them.
I have not told them I would live in it full time.
I am in Texas.
Have any of you had trouble getting insurance on your rig?

TexasTuff said:
I recently bought a Class B motorhome. Today I solved the wiring issues to the running light and have all repairs made that should allow it to pass state inspection. I need to have liability insurance on it before inspection. I've tried several online companies and each turned me down. 
I have no violations for the last 20 years.
I am 73.
This will be my only vehicle for some time.
I only paid $2300 for the coach, that seems to be a problem for them.
I have not told them I would live in it full time.
I am in Texas.
Have any of you had trouble getting insurance on your rig?

Good Sam now advertises (constantly!) that they will sort through the various insurance offerings and find the best policy for you.  You could check them out.  Not sure if you have to be a member, but that is only $25/yr.

this is the first time I've heard of a prob like yours. did they say why?

I am also in Texas and have had problems getting RV insurance in the past. I also have a Class B that I purchased in Feb 2017. I do not full time in it. It is insured by Progressive. My fifth wheel in which I live full time is insured by Foremost. Progressive would not insure the fifth wheel because I live in it.

If neither of these works for you, let me know. I have the contact info on a broker who specializes in RV insurance.

Good luck!

caretaker said:
this is the first time I've heard of a prob like yours. did they say why?

No reason given, just said they (whatever insurance company is was trying at the time) were not able to insure me and some referred me to other websites.

Good Sam made it simple. I now have insurance, roadside assistance, and Good Sam membership. The insurance was less expensive than I was paying on my pickup through AARP.
After a little more cleanup, I can now get my motorhome inspected and I'll start rebuilding the interior. It should be ready to hit the road in about a month, although I'm may not be ready until September.
YaaaaaaaaaaaaHooooooo
George

TexasTuff said:
Good Sam made it simple. I now have insurance, roadside assistance, and Good Sam membership. The insurance was less expensive than I was paying on my pickup through AARP.
After a little more cleanup, I can now get my motorhome inspected and I'll start rebuilding the interior. It should be ready to hit the road in about a month, although I'm may not be ready until September.
YaaaaaaaaaaaaHooooooo
George

I forgot to mention: My RV was not listed in the Class B listings. A note advised that if you could not find your RV in the Class B listings to check the Class C listings. Sure enough, my RV was listed in the Class C section. So, my RV is insured as a Class C RV.

What part of Texas do you live in?  I live in Lubbock.

closeanuf said:
What part of Texas do you live in?  I live in Lubbock.
East Texas about halfway between Canton and Edgewood.  65 miles east of downtown Dallas.