Insulation vs. ventilation vs. privacy in a minivan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
As I put my plans together for seeing the U.S. in a minivan, I've been assuming that I'll insulate the wide and rear windows with foam board to help me through the chillier nights. But I'm also starting to understand that I need cross-ventilation to prevent moisture buildup. That's easily done; just crack the front windows at night -- but if I do that, I'm just letting the cold air in, so what good will the foam board be doing?... 

Also, I was thinking about setting up a privacy curtain between the "cockpit" and the rear sleeping area. But then the cross-ventilation from the front won't reach the back, and in fact the condensation issue may even be worse. Which means I'd need to crack the side windows instead -- but there goes my insulation and (to some degree) privacy.....

You do you reconcile these issues?

If you're planning on a 'see the US' tour, are you not planning on scheduling the tour for the better weather year round? If you're planning on being in Vail CO or somewhere in Montana in the middle of January, it's an entirely different story than if you're planning it for mid July.

IMO, I see a whole lot of worrying about climate control going on around the forum (not just you). It's really only truly necessary if you're planning on staying in a more northern area during the dead of winter. Yes, you'll have cooler days and maybe some cold nights if you're in the desert or an Arctic wind moves down the plains but, really, it's not something to worry about and make all kinds of plans for.

Put rain guards on your front windows, try to buy something with tilt out side windows, put a roof vent in and buy an extra blanket and maybe some fleece long johns. Don't try to 'climate control' a whole vehicle, climate control your sleeping area.

Well, I'll be making multiple trips to various regions of the U.S. each year, although I will try to employ sanity regarding when I choose to go where. But I think I have to agree with you that controlling the interior environment can only go so far. Heavy clothing and sleeping gear for me, then.

I will still want privacy, but maybe I can hang thermal blackout curtains instead of stuffing foamboard into the window spaces.

I have camped in a Grand Caravan. There are a lot of advantages to a minivan, but there is a problem with ventilation. I had rain guards on the front windows which provided a small amount of ventilation, but allowed bugs to get in. The rear side windows open up in a way that lets rain in, so I don't consider them a good ventilation method. I think that adding a roof vent with a fan would be a good way to fix the biggest disadvantage of a minivan.

I found the minivan to have decent insulation already built in.

I may get something like this fit-over bug screen for when I need to crack a window or two. And yeah, I guess I'll need rain guards as well. I would probably do more harm than good if I tried to install a roof vent. The old, high-mileage minivan I end up buying may have enough holes in it already.... :D

Based on what I'm learning, I think my new approach may be:

-Bundle up (thermal sleeping bag, etc) instead of using insulation
-Use fit-over mosquito/privacy mesh on front passenger windows for combination of ventilation and privacy
-Put solar screen on front windshield overnight, again for privacy
-Add rain guards to front passenger windows
-Try to avoid sub-freezing nights (a.k.a."common sense")
-When all else fails, book a motel room  :p

That would address most of my concerns, I think.

Having a roof vent on a minivan may out you in a heartbeat unless you're able to hide it somehow. Gotta be careful about motel rooms...bed bugs!

Bed bugs- they are not in most hotels. Ask to see your room before you pay. If the room smells musty do not stay in it.

Are you trying to "stealth" all the time? Will you be staying at any campgrounds?
I find I can run an extension cord in the rear side window (opened a bit for venting) and run a small space heater for night warmth. My Grand Caravan has vents near the floor in the rear also.
I haven't ever felt the need for "stealthing". But I use the minivan for roadtrips and camping, not fulltiming.

Another option for privacy with ventilation I used in my Transit Connect, was to buy cheap indoor/outdoor carpet I picked up at my local Home Depot, and use Velcro to secure it to the front, roll-down windows.  The carpet allows air to get in, but not bugs or the eyes of your neighbors.  
(it's the same carpet I use on my floor and to cover the foam on my bed).  

With minivans already being so small, I don't like hanging privacy curtains because they reduce the already tiny square footage and leave me feeling like I'm sleeping in a coffin.  
Instead I use Reflectix on the side and rear windows, the carpet on the driver/passenger glass, and a really nice, snug-fitting, windshield sun shield I picked up at the dealer.

The end result is a roomier feel, ventilation, and privacy.  :cool:

The inside of the windshield cover is white, so it bounced the flash back at the camera.  It doesn't let any light through.  
The carpet lets a little light in.  Just enough to keep it from being pitch black inside.  

BigT said:
Another option for privacy with ventilation I used in my Transit Connect, was to buy cheap indoor/outdoor carpet I picked up at my local Home Depot, and use Velcro to secure it to the front, roll-down windows.  The carpet allows air to get in, but not bugs or the eyes of your neighbors.  
(it's the same carpet I use on my floor and to cover the foam on my bed).  
Thanks. I've also seen a video of someone attaching pieces of black felt to the windows with Velcro, but I doubt that the felt would allow much air movement....

LeeRevell said:
Are you trying to "stealth" all the time?  Will you be staying at any campgrounds?
I find I can run an extension cord in the rear side window (opened a bit for venting) and run a small space heater for night warmth.  My Grand Caravan has vents near the floor in the rear also.
I haven't ever felt the need for "stealthing".  But I use the minivan for roadtrips and camping, not fulltiming.

I'll be truck-stopping, Walmarting and staying at dispersed camp sites and other common overnighting resources. I don't know how stealthy I really have to be if i'm not expressly violating city law or the site's rules/practices. I don't necessarily want people staring in at me while I'm trying to sleep, but I don't necessarily have to convince anyone that the vehicle is empty.

I might do the electrical cord thing at campsites if I can do so without letting the bugs (or icy winds) in.

I have used nylon mesh from The Tractor Supply Store, to keep bugs from coming in the rear side windows when cranked out. Tape or velcro mounts it nicely. A curtain keeps the nosey neighbors at bay.