Installing a Roof Rack on Ford High Top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkiz

Reaction score
Hey all! Looking for advice.

I have an '89 high top E150 conversion van -- there's roughly a foot between the rain gutters and the highest point of the van's top. Given the shape of the hightop, it didn't seem feasible to attach traditional roof rack systems, so I ordered Thule's artificial gutter system to go along with a standard Thule rack. 

Does anyone have experience installing these in a high top? The instructions are very basic and it seems simple enough, though drilling into the van has me worried. The interior of the van is carpeted with lighting along the top (a "Starcraft" club wagon model), so I imagine I'll need to take that apart to secure the artificial gutters.

Any tips? Ways to ensure water doesn't get in?

Thanks!

I Have a similar top on my Dodge.

Quite honestly the top is rather flimsy and thin.
I'm not convinced how much weight you can reasonably support on the fiberglass sides.

You would be better served with some high mount gutter brackets.

If you do go with the ARG's....... Do consider reinforcing the fiberglass on the inside, laminate some steel or wood to the roof itself. Messy and smelly job? Yes, but it will give you a better more secure mount.

Dave

djkeev said:
I Have a similar top on my Dodge.

Quite honestly the top is rather flimsy and thin.
I'm not convinced how much weight you can reasonably support on the fiberglass sides.

You would be better served with some high mount gutter brackets.

If you do go with the ARG's....... Do consider reinforcing the fiberglass on the inside, laminate some steel or wood to the roof itself. Messy and smelly job? Yes, but it will give you a better more secure mount.

Dave

Hmm, I'm not TOO concerned about the load. I plan to put up a very light cargo box with dog mushing gear. Harnesses, lines, rubber bowls -- the stuff that gets muddy that I don't want to keep inside the van, but doesn't weight more than 50 pounds. That and a wooden dog sled (~35 pounds). The roof is definitely strong enough to handle at least 100 pounds (I've stood on it). 

Definitely worth considering, though!

Follow-up question: what's a good roof rack option for high tops at ~12" tall? I'd like to spend less than $400 if possible. I've only seen the Vantech racks:

http://vantech.us/Conversion-Vans_c143.htm (Edit: these seem to be on sale now, so I'm thinking of returning my Thule stuff..)

Actually -- I've convinced myself to go ahead and get the Vantech high mounting racks since they're on sale right now. Rather avoid drilling into the fiberglass if I can!

Ok, off subject, but we need to see your sled and dogs. I've had Siberians and Malamutes all my life. Never had an actual sled as most of the time I've only had one or two dogs, but I love running them with my bike and pulling the kids when they were young on a toboggan.