Installing a Fantastic Vent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to install a fantastic Vent in the roof of my chevy express van. I don't have a lot of construction experience so I want to learn what kind of tools I would need to do the job. For example, what kind of saw and blade is needed to cut the hole in the roof? I also saw that there is a universal vent installation kit for sale that includes putty tape. I assume I need this to make a water tight seal to the roof. Any other tips you have about installing these vents would be welcome.

All it takes is an ounce of courage and the proper tools.

Did you do a search on YouTube?

Thanks to LoupGarou for suggesting I look on youtube!  I found a really good video (see link below). This guy shows step by step details. This one is good for beginners like me.

Hi there! I was terrified to cut into my roof, but when I finally did everything went very smooth.
I used a jigsaw with a fine metal blade. It cut like butter.
First thing I did was find the center and the exact place for the fan from inside the van.
Using a template I traced the opening, then I drilled a hole in all four corners.
From the outside, on top of the roof, I used the jigsaw to make the cuts.
Tip: I used a box a little bigger than the hole taped to the ceiling to catch the metal shavings.
You can also check my thread here on the van build or check my you tube channel; Rolling Earth-Ship.

Alright, so say you have a new used van in which you want to install a roof fan/vent. You are planning on insulating it, needs exterior paint, too.

In what order have people done a vent/fan install, considering other upgrades as well? In what order should one: paint, insulate, install vent/fan?

My guess:
1. paint
2. install vent/fan
3. insulate.

But seeing as how this is the first time I am doing this, just wondering what I am overlooking...

mconlonx said:
Alright, so say you have a new used van in which you want to install a roof fan/vent. You are planning on insulating it, needs exterior paint, too.

In what order have people done a vent/fan install, considering other upgrades as well? In what order should one: paint, insulate, install vent/fan?

My guess:
1. paint
2. install vent/fan
3. insulate.

But seeing as how this is the first time I am doing this, just wondering what I am overlooking...

Here's the order I'm doing things in:

• rip out all the PO's bad shoddy work, locate all water leaks in roof.  :mad:
  • Body work and paint
  • touch up paint on all the PO's screw holes to prevent rust- may as well paint the whole interior..sigh!
  • install any new exterior things - roof vent, electrical connection - done after the body work because you don't want them to get paint on them and you would need to paint under the edges of them anyways.
  • insulate
  • rough in the wiring
  • finish interior walls and put in base flooring
  • build interior
  • finish wiring in light fixtures etc. as the interior is built
  • set up electrical system with charger, inverter, batteries, etc. etc.
In between I'll be taking it in for a complete mechanical inspection and whatever repairs it needs, into the tire shop of new rubber and getting things like the swivel base on the passenger seat.