Installed My Maxxfan!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Painted Highway

Reaction score
Goodbye tiny noisy whirligig, hello Maxxfan, you quiet, breezy new friend! I decided on and installed the 4 speed exhaust only standard model. Small project big impact! I definitely have a big learning curve for sure..but I was enlightened what polarity means and that the RV industry doesn't follow basic color coding for wiring! They might not follow any standards!

Attachments

• IMG_20220722_172102.jpg
    IMG_20220722_172102.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220722_171413.jpg
    IMG_20220722_171413.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 0
With 'exhaust only' and a powerful fan there needs to be low-restriction make up air entering the living space...

So, screens on all open windows (to get airflow) is mandatory & good fitting door seals etc. againsts zillions of skeeters on the prowl just hoping to ride in your camper!

Just after dark & trying to bring down interior temperatures? -- every curious bug in the neighborhood gets drawn inside without good screens, especially if interior lighting is on.

Here in bug central Minnesota it's intake air through the fans screen only - not exhaust - and still have 5 or 7 skeeters hunting a meal after bedtime...

Pro tip for flying insect control: Remove the bug screen then turn the fan on (exhaust) and watch it suck those suckers right out. A fly-swatter or similar helps to brush any skeeters or flies that have landed over towards the fan. Obviously be careful, don't get your long flowing locks of hair in there!

Last edited:
Yeah Tx, I’d hate to loose my last hair to my max fan... haha. Being another bug central Minnesotan my resolve is to replace all my screens as a project this winter as I have the material. The old screens are not the best for those little bugs. Other bug tip... Thermacell... outside and upwind of course. Got a few blood stains above my head before Thermacell...

Color codes for wiring vary depending what type of wiring. Such as buildings versus cars. I have seen situations were grand was red, white, black and green. Each situation was correct for the stands for that type of wiring. So this is the real truth, there is more than one standard for color coding but maybe you have not had widespread experience of that. This would be true of most people who do not get involved in a widespread of types of projects where wiring is involved

Oh yeah on the RV wiring color codes. Inside the living space, electrical codes typically require 120v AND 12v 'appliances' and 'fixtures' to be wired using residential codes:

Black is HOT or POSITIVE
White is NEUTRAL or NEGATIVE
Green (or bare) is GROUND

2 and 3 way (12v and 120v) fridges and overhead lights are often wired this way.

Vehicle 12v chassis wiring is normally:

Black is GROUND or NEGATIVE
Red is HOT or POSITIVE
Green is (usually) ground.

But it is common to have 'blended' codes, such as the radio and fresh water pump and USB ports to have red(+) and black (-) and house battery color codes to have all black cables or black for positive and white for negative, even though its a chassis 12v circuit.

And every roof vent fan I have dealt with always had a black wire for positive and a white wire for negative on the fan, and often the wiring coming in was red and black: You hook up the black fan wire to the red supply wire, and the white fan wire to the black supply wire.

See? Not confusing at all!

:geek:

Last edited: