Info On Common Vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fubble said:
Thanks.  I'm likely buying a Chevy Express between 2002-2010.  I'd like to know what issues to watch out for, transmission reliability, if there are engine variations that are better than others (reliability and mileage), preventative maintenance, etc
Hey Fubble!  I believe the Express underwent some changes in 2002.  If I recall correctly, they were mainly in the body, including, I think, some structural/safety enhancements in the mid-ship/side door area.  I also think improvements have been made to the fuel injection system since '96, which was a cross-over year.

Before I bought it, I learned a lot about my vehicle by Googling "...complaints", and reading TSB's.  This looks like a good (new-ish) resource for the latter https://www.consumerreports.org/car...et-a-technical-service-bulletin-tsb-for-free/  After I brought it home, I spent a lot of time with shop manuals, in the dog house (LOL), under the hood, and under the chassis (much to my suburban neighbors' concern and amusement).

In addition to routine maintenance, these repairs have been made to my '96 5.7L, which I bought used:

Between 89,500 and 100,000
  Replaced leaking radiator tank (only)
  Replaced water pump (noisy), all accessible hoses, tensioner, pulley and belt
  Replaced fuel filter (cleared various "false alarm" codes)
  Replaced brake lines (were causing serious handling issues) and upgraded shocks
  Replaced failed A/C compressor (along with the accumlator and orifice tube) with much better design.
  Replaced oil pressure switch, which resolved what looked like a serious oil leak (whew!)
  Replaced fuel pump (noisy) proactively
  Switched to synthetic oil, which eliminated drive train noise when cold.
Oil pressure sensor/sender switch replaced again in shop, following failure and loss of all oil!  (Watch those gauges!)  Tow required.  Spare switch and wrench now carried in auto box.

100,000-125,000
  Replaced intake manifold gasket (coolant leak).
  Replaced thermostat
THE BIG ONE (110,000)
  Transmission rebuilt (stuck in 3rd) (Took four returns to the shop to get it right.)
  Replaced rear U joint (while in transmission shop)
  Cruise control module replaced
  Serpentine belt replaced

125,000+
  Oil pressure sender switch replaced (again!), based on erratic gauge behavior

This may seem like a lot, but I don't feel like it is.  I like to stay on top of developing problems, to the extent possible.  Buying this old van was one of the stupidest things I've ever done--and among the very, very best!!  It runs great, and nothing leaks, smokes, or is "cranky" in the van.  Tomorrow?  Who knows.

I hope you find just what you're looking for!  Happy hunting.