Inexpensive GPS

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awesum

Reaction score
Any advice on what car GPS to buy that is under $250? Thanks . Hope everyone is having a great day.

I bought the least expensive Garmin (https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-I...24?keywords=garmin+gps&qid=1674777732&sr=8-24) about 8 years ago, a used refurbished model. When it died I bought another one that had been upgraded to include TripAdvisor and FourSquare. I preferred the older version because both TripAdvisor and Foursquare use up a lot of storage and it's harder to search for specific businesses or places. Other cons are the small size and low battery life. If it dies I'll probably buy another inexpensive one because I don't need all of the bells and whistles. It works great for getting us where we want to go.

A dedicated GPS line the one posted above is a good way to go. At $79 that's hard to beat.

You can also make use of an older phone that you can download map and travel information apps, and use offline. There are a number of good GPS/map apps that allow that. Go to play store and search for offline gps.

If you decide to do that, make an email specifically for that device to use with Google play for downloading apps while connected to WiFi. Keeps everything separated. And simple.

Walmart has several for less than $60 which get good reviews. No whistles and bels but the maps will get you where you want to go on roads. But for off-road? That is unknown if those companies offer off-road maps. For that you might need a device that has gps and you can download an app such as Avenza onto.
Soeomne mentioned older cell phones but not all of them will be able to use all the recent recent updated apps.

You can get a cheap used one that's somewhat recent for pennies on the dollar. As it's only function will be GPS apps and maps, it needs decent or expandable storage for the maps, and decent screen size. And good GPS.

Since it isn't Internet connected, you won't need to update the app unless new maps use a different format. Just turn off auto updates in Google play. And download a few map apps and the maps so you aren't overly reliant if your main app for belly up.

If you go this route, I would suggest getting a used phone that is compatible with your current carrier. That way you have an emergency backup phone.

Just as an alternative, I have exclusively used the PocketEarth app for years, which allows users to download maps for off grid use and accurately tracks/pinpoints your location in real time, and without internet connection.

I have used this all over the US.

Last edited:
I use an old Android phone and an app called OSMand+ which sells for a few bucks on the Play Store. There is also a free but limited version of OSMand. The maps are stored on the phone so no internet connection is needed. This setup is better than any dedicated GPS IMO. The app will also run on tablets if you want a larger screen. OSM stands for Open Source Mapping. I use Avenza for off road on my quad.

Any advice on what car GPS to buy that is under $250? Thanks . Hope everyone is having a great day.
There are used GPS on ebay for less than $20. I have one I am selling there. It might be worth a try.

I bought the least expensive Garmin (https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-I...24?keywords=garmin+gps&qid=1674777732&sr=8-24) about 8 years ago, a used refurbished model. When it died I bought another one that had been upgraded to include TripAdvisor and FourSquare. I preferred the older version because both TripAdvisor and Foursquare use up a lot of storage and it's harder to search for specific businesses or places. Other cons are the small size and low battery life. If it dies I'll probably buy another inexpensive one because I don't need all of the bells and whistles. It works great for getting us where we want to go.
Thank you very much for all the info. I will be looking into your suggestions. Have a great day. All the best to you.

There are used GPS on ebay for less than $20. I have one I am selling there. It might be worth a try.
Great idea. I'll give it a look. Thank you very much. All the best to you. Have a great evening.

I use an old Android phone and an app called OSMand+ which sells for a few bucks on the Play Store. There is also a free but limited version of OSMand. The maps are stored on the phone so no internet connection is needed. This setup is better than any dedicated GPS IMO. The app will also run on tablets if you want a larger screen. OSM stands for Open Source Mapping. I use Avenza for off road on my quad.
I will have to see if my old LG can handle OSM. Never knew about the app. Thank you for the information. I hope your having a good evening. All the best to you.

Just as an alternative, I have exclusively used the PocketEarth app for years, which allows users to download maps for off grid use and accurately tracks/pinpoints your location in real time, and without internet connection.

I have used this all over the US.
Sounds interesting. Do they make it for Android yet? I read that Android is in the works.

I don't know the proper way to reply to all the wonderful people who have given me such valuable information about choosing a GPS. Do I click on the , Reply, at the lower right hand corner of each person's answer to reply to their post?

Garmin is the best brand, IMO. They go for nothing used on ebay or Goodwill. You want one that has lifetime maps and traffic notifications (LMT). Get the latest features like wireless cell phone connectivity (bluetooth) and voice activated. Voice activation is amazing as you can tell it destination without ever touching it AKA handsfree. The cell phone link is nice because you can send destination waypoints from your phone to Garmin wirelessly. With a GPS you don't have to worry about cell reception to keep it working like a phone. You can get these features on Garmins with the last versions of the Nuvi series or the current SmartDrive series. Used, you can get Nuvi with those features for $30 or a Smartdrive for $50.

Garmin is the best brand, IMO. They go for nothing used on ebay or Goodwill. You want one that has lifetime maps and traffic notifications (LMT). Get the latest features like wireless cell phone connectivity (bluetooth) and voice activated. Voice activation is amazing as you can tell it destination without ever touching it AKA handsfree. The cell phone link is nice because you can send destination waypoints from your phone to Garmin wirelessly. With a GPS you don't have to worry about cell reception to keep it working like a phone. You can get these features on Garmins with the last versions of the Nuvi series or the current SmartDrive series. Used, you can get Nuvi with those features for $30 or a Smartdrive for $50.
Thank you very much for taking your time to reply. I do so appreciate it. Hope all is well with you and yours. Take care and Thank you again.

A cell phone does not have to have tower reception to have directions with many map apps. Even with google maps, if the app has been running with location turned on, it downloads much of the future maps in the background to work when reception is gone.

I have not tested, or know, the extent of it for google maps. But other maps are meant to work without reception because you download the entire map before using, just like you are doing with a nuvi gps (near, maps.me, etc).

The phone is still not as good as the nuvi type though, offline, with the nearby business' and stuff.