If you're dog chews...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingZombies

Reaction score
:rolleyes: if your dog chews everything in sight I would suggest getting a muzzle. My dog Dora has chewed part of my truck part of my seats and somehow set off a fire extinguisher while I was driving down the road.

Haha!

Wow! I don’t want your dog teaching mine new tricks. Haha! 
mine chewed a little hole in a seat pad deal once. She didn’t like my reply. Never did it again. Don’t have to be mean, your dog must know when you are not happy about something. Activating a fire extinguisher... now that takes some doing.

I have a friend who travels with a well trained working rescue dog. He built a location for a crate into his van. Not because the dog chews but for the dog's own safety.

We worked to get our dogs as puppies to not chew what they should not chew by making sure they had chewies they could chew and put hot pepper spray on everything they could not. That said we still have to deal with 'stuff' from dogs.
Had one puppy that was great, she only chewed old stuffed animals. Until we had to let her sleep in the truck one night by herself. She got bored and didn't have a chewy so she chewed up the windshield wiper switch. Made rainy days a bit of a challenge until we could get it fixed.
The dog we have right now is not a chewer, but he likes to lick MY seat when we go into a store... Nothing like a slobbery seat when we get out to the car. He doesn't lick hubbies seat, just mine. So now I have to put a big towel over my seat so my butt doesn't get soggy. Weird, big dumb love.

My dog is tied into the seatbelt.  It protects him from hitting the dashboard in a panic stop and gives some protection in an accident.  It also doesn't allow him to jump on me when I am driving.

He also has a 'nest':  a 3 sided box that keeps him from tearing up the interior of the truck, while giving him plenty of room to move around.  He also has his favorite chew toys to keep him occupied (and he has chewed on the box).

Well we were at Wall drug in South Dakota today my dog Dora managed to get her muzzle off, chew it to shreds and chewed on the knob for my shifter.
Over the last 3 months she has turned my truck into a puppy buffet. At least she hasn't chewed my steering wheel yet.

Off topic, but when I was driving across country to Idaho for this job assignment, I kept seeing signs for Wall Drug on the interstate. I finally decided that I just had to go. When I got there and saw the hoards of people and lack of parking, I just got the heck out of there. Sometimes being an introvert can get on my nerves. My cost-benefit analyses always come down on the side of "not worth it."

I bought my dog another type muzzle which seemed like it was working until, I went into Wall drug and while I was in there she managed to escape it, tear it to shreds and used the knob on my shifter like a jawbreaker it was so chewed up I'd put paper hours I wouldn't cut my hand.