If you could only buy 2 power tools for a fresh van conversion, what would they be?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickTheoBennett

Reaction score
I'm assuming a cordless drill and some sort of saw?  I don't know a lot about saws, what sort of saw would be best/cost efficient?

Any other tools you would consider essential?

I am starting my conversion and thought I'd buy drill and jig saw. I'm kind of regretting buying the jig saw cause seems impossible to make straight cuts. I even made a jig that serves as a guide for the jig saw but failed making straight cuts. Consider I newbie and never done carpentry before. I then got a circular saw and what a difference !!!!! Like night and day difference. Though I very newbie, I'd vote for the drill and the circular saw.

Rechargeable drill and matching 4" saw maybe? They could become permeant additions to the van.

I bought a Black and Decker cordless drill that also includes a cordless 4" skilsaw type saw. There are other attachments you can buy as well such as jigsaw, router etc. I have used it extensively building my van interior and so far it has worked very well.

I think I paid about $60 cdn for both attachments at walmart.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/BDCDMT1205KIT.aspx

rechargeable drill without a doubt and jigsaw or sawsall, two tools i use every day

I carry a Bosch 12v cordless li-ion drill and a corded jigsaw. I had bad experiences with cordless saws in the past and this one runs fine on my small inverter. I may have just chosen the wrong ones or tried to push them too hard.

I could remake my entire interior with those two just fine.

I definitely can't make straight cuts with the jigsaw but I don't use a lot of plywood. When I do I have the store do most of the straight cuts for me.

I went from the Makita 18v drill to the Milwaukee M12 set with the impact and the drill, the combo is amazing, I don't know how I lived without an impact before! So I would suggest that set as you'll use them both, they also make a saw that uses the same batteries, it's like a cross between a jig saw and and sawzall that I would go with as it seems fairly versatile. I can't endorse that M12 enough.

So, everyone's talking bout the wood stuff, what about for the metal stuff? I recently read a tutorial on putting a window in, but don't remember where or what saw was used. I do know the pilot holes were drilled in, duh. Would a sawzall or jigsaw with a metal blade work or rent a special tool? (What kind if rent?)

Thanks!

I used a jigsaw to cut the hole for my roof vent. It will go through sheet metal just fine with a metal blade.

A drill and a jigsaw were my most used power tools during the build. I cut more metal with the jigsaw than I did wood.

I'm with Tin Can on that. If only one power saw, make it a heavy duty jig saw. Every one should have a quality battery drill / driver. One thing surprised me by living up to all it's advertisement and usefulness, is the Kreg Tool, and "right angle clamp" for making pocket screw joints. It has allowed me to build with 1 by lumber to reduce weight.

I've got a combo cordless set that I really like, don't remember the brand. I was able to get rid of the hefty table saw and radial arm saw that took up too much space. I'm really glad I got the cordless circular saw in the set instead of a fold-up table saw like my dad's. (His was awesome but a bit hefty and large for van living.) Never got around to a miter saw which turns out to be a good thing. :)

I had to cut a formica countertop end with a jig saw once. I don't remember how I cut the curved part but remember it was challenging. Luckily that end got tucked into the tile so the less than straight line at the ridge was hidden. ;)

Ccbreder, I'll have to check out the Kreg tool. Joints with the screw going at an angle to the grain should definitely increase the strength of the join. I think I'll look into that for my deck rail replacement this Spring for attaching to the posts at the least. Thanks, because that had slipped my mind.

Late to the party, but I'm in the good quality cordless drill and jigsaw camp.
If I could have a third tool it would be a good quality 120v "skiill" saw.
My brand choices for durability and user friendliness are Dewalt in the cordless and Makita for the sidewinder.
Good blades, designed for the specific use are as important as the quality of a tool as well.

Only two tools? I have about 15 bags and boxes of tools, including about 20 pieces of 19.2v craftsman cordless. (They charge fine off an inverter.)

Harber frieght sells a body saw for about $30 that makes short work of metal. I have a multi tool that also can do the plunge cutting. It takes a steady hand to cut the long straight lines. I refuse to limit my tools, as it is easy to screw up a project "making do" with the wrong tool.

Impact driver and trim saw, both battery powered. Don't do to much metal work. Anything else I would use hand tools. My battery kit also has a sawsall which I use a lot but if I had to I would give it up and keep the trim saw.

well only two, you are making this hard. of course a cordless combo drill, driver, impact, 3 tools in one. now this is the hard one, I would choose a cordless sawzall for the other, same battery as drill. sawzalls are more versatile than jig saws. let me say this I have worked construction, 80% of all cordless tools on job sites are Milwaukie's or dewalt's, dewalts being the economy tool. highdesertranger

2 tools? A drill and a circular saw. Throw in a straight piece of flat bar and a couple of C-clamps to set up a straight edge and you could build anything from Frank Lloyd Wright...literally. You can make beds, cabinets etc. etc. When you get to the end of the build, drop your tungsten carbide saw blade into the roof to cut your vents are you are done.

i was just trying to use my cordless drill, and a usual the battery was flat so as usual i used my corded drill. i think when the batteries finally die on my cordless, i'm going to give up on cordless and and stick with the corded one. lighter, more powerful and always ready.

i'm in a house, not a van but since i'll be traveling with a generator, i think i'll forget cordless stuff then too

Hand saw isn't hard to learn how to use. Hack saw isn't much fun, but doable. Drill and a dewalt boombox/battery charger.