Ideas for outfitting my CLAM screen room

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It also looked like they offered an additional rain fly on the $199 version. There were some reviews that indicated some low quality seams and zipper malfunctions. If you were staying several months in a BLM long term area I would be tempted to use some Poor Man’s Fiberglass on 4’x 8’ insulation foam for walls and roof on a conduit frame. I believe the tool sellers in Quartzite sell connectors. Even Harbor Freight canvas drop cloths mounted to the frame and coated in exterior house paint might be a better cheaper option. Maybe painting scrap cardboard completely for roof and walls? Yard sales or opps paint is a good source for cheap paint. Just saying!

The poles sold for shelters in Quartzsite are way heavy to be hauling around in a minivan or other smaller sized van. Plus the poles are long. It is definitely not instant to set them up. The tarp coverings are also heavy and bulky. You mostly see them in use at the long term BLM areas in Quartzsite. The popup screen tents make a lot more sense for 14 day limit camping.

I love all this info about what to look for in a good outer room set up.
I want to make something and DIY it with some really fun fabric, but will probably not do much. I have a cheap easy up thing and I have a couple curtains for the sides if I want shade or privacy......

I love all this info about what to look for in a good outer room set up.
I want to make something and DIY it with some really fun fabric, but will probably not do much. I have a cheap easy up thing and I have a couple curtains for the sides if I want shade or privacy......
When it gets windy do what the experienced folks who use those in Quartzsite do. Lower the frame down and then remove the cover leaving the frame well staked down. That way you do not have to go through the struggle of collapsing the frame all the way and opening it out again after the storm is passed.

I took the time to review the fabric that Hike Crew uses for their popup screen rooms it is 210 polyester Oxford weave. That is the same thread count, material and weave type as used by Clam and by Gazelle. So no need to worry that the fabric is not as strong as those other brands because at the fabric specifications are equal.

210 is the thread count. Polyester is the type of material. Oxford is the version of the weave pattern they set up on the looms. Polyester is the best material for the purpose as it has UV resistance. Nylon and cotton are not UV resistant and develop “sun rot” more quickly. UV resistant does not mean it won’t get damaged, it just means it does so a bit slower than materials without UV resistance. So do add extra UV protection to the roof with 303 marine fabric guard at least every 6 months. That will help with the longevity of the roof for preventing UV damage as well as keeping it waterproof. You apply it on the outside surface. Follow the directions.
Thank you very much for this suggestion & information!

I had this one and it served me well. It was a bit cheaper a couple years ago. But I’d buy it again anytime!
I guess it won’t load the pic…
It’s a master canopy brand…
That is the company I bought my wind/rain panels from for my new screen room. The Master Canopy screen rooms are taller and a bit wider than the other brands such as Clam, Gazelle and Vevor. I needed those oversized panels so I could do some custom modifications.

Last edited:
I am not sure if Ravella brought her Clam she decorated with her to the Quartzsite LTVA this year. If so I never saw it put up at her campsite. She was camped near Cammalu and Camilla had her new 9’ Gazelle setup for use as a sewing room with big long tables, an aisle between them and room for at least four sewers to work comfortably, Both Csm and myself were mostly after work dpace versus s relaxing glamping atmosphere in our screen rooms. Nothing wrong with any approach one takes as long as the space pleases you. I like it the very best with the screens uncovered and open to views of the forest and mountains.