I was shocked by "Kratom" and how good it worked

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep.  This article, "Kratom poisoning surged 52-fold in six years as more Americans turn to the herbal opioid alternative, study finds", states "For adults, many kratom exposures ended badly. Over 30 percent ended up being admitted to a hospital or other healthcare facility, more than half had serious medical issues and 11 people died."
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...six-years-turn-herbal-opioid-alternative.html

"...toxicology lab found extremely high levels of an alkaloid called mitragynine in his postmortem blood sample..."
"The reported 3,500 nanograms of mitragynine found in Dana’s bloodstream is tremendously high."
"...the exact concentration of kratom he took, and the redistribution of drug compounds after death in the bloodstream, remains unknown."

(Pretty evident, if it WAS the cause of death...the good sergeant was dosing it like an idiot.)

"Based on what has been publicly released, Ed Boyer, a toxicologist at Boston’s Brigham and Women’s Hospital, said that it would be impossible to definitively ascribe the death to kratom. “In general,” he said, “weightlifters ingest a whole hoard of things, ---including cardiotoxic substances,--- which could produce pulmonary edema.”

"Bulking up..." (Did you even read the entire article? It's kind of a joke...and pretty much suggests other causes for his death.)
"When he was bodybuilding, he would take all kinds of supplements,...” Hmm

My own life experience tells me that rural M.E.'s have been known to "do the right thing" for fallen LEO families.
I helped pull a cop out of his cruiser after witnessing an accident. He smelled like a whiskey distillery and had been seen driving erratically and at high speeds...but not one of the people involved (including me) said a word about it. Drunk driving of a police cruiser would have taken the survivors benefits away from his kids...and his peers went around to every witness on the scene, including me, explaining this. Don't kid yourself...it happens all the time. That trooper was wasted out of his mind. No question. (and I stand by my silence about the smell on him. Why harm his kids for his stupidity? Cops have a tough job.)

Your statement (whether intended or not) is a "strawman."
I suggested the smallest dosing possible to handle the specific users pain.
Not sure how it could have been presented more clearly or carefully. I don't see where "totally innocent herb" was even implied.

Once you learn a little about the options open to those in need of analgesia, you understand NONE of the options are perfect or without any risk.

I can tell you this with 100% certainty, however: The record of Kratom safety elsewhere on the planet speaks for itself.
For hundreds of years. It can be bought freely without any script...at loads of retail outlets...and the puritan Nazi's have been after it like a hound chasing a fox.
The US seems to want to put kiddie-bumpers on the bowling lanes of life to benefit idiots who pollute our gene pool.
It makes huge issues for those of us able to stand on our own and accept consequences for making our own choices.

Perhaps doing a little unbiased research, like comparing how many are in the ground due to Oxy overdoses. Aspirin. Ibuprofen. BP meds. Penicillin. Bee stings. Alcohol poisoning. Trigger happy, roided-out "bulked up" cops...

Get back to me after you do that.

Now, if this works like it normally does, one of two mods will close the thread since it now contains conflict.
(After all, we need those kiddie bumpers on forum lanes too...)

BTW---36 hours without any blue pills now.

Big Pharma will push any fake news to keep their junkies and users as customers. I have chronic pain and the scripts I received turned into an addiction. My doc was my pusher and my pharmacy was my dealer. Don’t expect corporate America to help people with pain issues. They only help share holders make money. If we want something different we are going to have to fight for it. Since you can’t patent a plant these corporations are going to discredit anything about them that they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a horse in this race; I just want both sides of the story to be available to people so they can make informed decisions. I have already suggested that acquaintances of mine who have pain or nerve issues look into Kratom and make their own choices.

I’ve tried Kratom. If it works for you then great. I’m well aware of what pain feels like as I’ve broken at least 16 bones and am full of metal.

I don’t think any drug or herb should be combined with others unless you really do the research and know what you are doing.

The Kratom didn’t appear to work for me.

JD GUMBEE said:
I don’t know what all these other substances have to do with Kratom. I don’t need to compare a thing. I didn’t say it was bad or good but I do think research is warranted for each individual. You could be taking another med that could react against things I think before anyone goes putting a bunch of anything in their bodies they need to visit an expert and not just John Doe it works for me.

I don’t understand why you got so upset when anyone mentioned that there could be more to research.

All the articles I've read always say when taken in very large doses or when mixed with other drugs...

Well if you're going to be an idiot about things (like mixing drugs or taking high doses) then you're bound to have problems. But that doesn't rule out the possibility that something like this could have it's benefits. Once again they want to ban something that could have wide ranging beneficial effects for people because a few certain idiots can't control themselves.

I had a mild headache and I just took a half dose of the red vein variety a little while ago. Can't say that really feel anything but I don't want to take anymore until I know how it will affect me, especially this late in the day. I have some of the white vein I'll try tomorrow to see what it does. Obviously i won't be combining it with any other medication.

Cammalu said:
I don’t understand why you got so upset when anyone mentioned that there could be more to research.

You have never seen "so upset" from me. That was a factual reply.

Had your post been neutral and introduced as "I got this in my inbox. Worth a look" There would have been little to say on my part.

However,
Cammalu said:
Evidently not a totally innocent herb after all

To me, at least, assigns a very negative and sarcastic flavor to the post.
Not to mention posting:
Cammalu said:
Did I miss something in this post with a link of where to buy it?
on the previous page after supposedly already trying it and deeming it ineffective for you.

(I do pay attention most of the time.)
This makes no sense to me. None at all.
To me, it seems you had agenda and were trying to push it based on your posts.
Maybe I am insane...or of limited intellect?
My mention of other substances was an invite to go look at how many people die as a result of using them.
You will find the numbers incredibly high...especially when you consider needing a script for many of them.
Anyone any time can go buy Kratom in a convenience store.
People should be dropping like flies nationwide. They aren't.
For the amount consumed, the deaths just aren't there.
I do not own a company or have any interest/agenda, besides telling others how good it has worked for me in order to help them.

There is a chip on my shoulder though. I am beyond tired of others imposing their values on the whole population...through misinformation and scare tactics...especially when they use tax dollars to do it.

(Of course, the "news article" that followed your post was from a source about as reliable as Alex Jones and the National Enquirer...but that is pretty self evident.)

Whoa, everyone please switch to decaf... conversation seems to be going in a bad direction...   I think Kratom might have some promise, but like all herbal medicinals there's a definite lack of research and standardization.  Strength of dosage could vary widely from supplier to supplier and definitely cause problems.  Even marijuana can vary wildly in potency.  Fortunately, with legalization lab analyses are available from the more reputable suppliers.  Just, please be careful...

I don’t have an agenda and I’m not against using Kratom or anything to relieve pain.

I just think people need to do a little research rather than jumping in blindly.

Read the other study about this shit. Quote; "In more than half of the cases identified in the study, the person exposed to kratom experienced moderate or serious health effects, including seizures, difficulty breathing, coma, kidney failure and cardiac arrest. Eleven of the patients died, and most of these deaths occurred among patients who used kratom with at least one other drug"
Here is the article reference. https://www.livescience.com/64818-k...ter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190221-ls
This is a data rich site, so not for limited access.

Weight said:
Read the other study about this shit.  Quote; "In more than half of the cases identified in the study, the person exposed to kratom experienced moderate or serious health effects, including seizures, difficulty breathing, coma, kidney failure and cardiac arrest. Eleven of the patients died, and most of these deaths occurred among patients who used kratom with at least one other drug"
Here is the article reference. https://www.livescience.com/64818-k...ter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190221-ls
This is a data rich site, so not for limited access.

Those who took another drug with kratom were more than twice as likely to have a serious medical outcome as those who took kratom by itself, the researchers found. Among the 11 people who died, nine were reported to have taken another drug with kratom, including alcohol, diphenhydramine (an allergy medication), benzodiazepines (anti-anxiety medications), fentanyl and cocaine.

That's not a good thing to be taking some of those drugs anyway..... 

JD, I appreciate you enlightening me on Kratom. Obviously, telling your story has it's risks. Thanks for taking that leap of faith that some would benefit from your experience. On more than one thread you have given valid advice. I believe you did well on this one too.

"(This is uncomfortable for me here...I usually engage in subterfuge on these forums when it comes to personal identifiable traits, but feel like in this case, JD needs to open up for a minute. I feel like I owe it to some of you to share my experience.)"

I'm 71 and may need it's benefits.

I have been taking Kratom for pain for seven years now. Myself and a large group known as the AKA have been fighting what our culture now calls “fake news” regarding the plant.
Here a few facts to get all of you through the bullshit.
- Kratom is a tree leaf from a small to medium sized tree found in Indonesia from the Rubicae family, same family as coffee
- Kratom has been safely used by local people for thousands of years, never a death associated to it until stupid western white folks decided to eat huge doses and add stimulants and other chemicals to their bodies.

Remember “Reefer Madness”?

- Kratom has NO known interactions with ANY known regularly used pharmaceutical drugs when used in a safe, moderate manner
- Kratom will constipate you
- I am more than happy to supply anyone in need with the pure powdered leaf. I import dictectly from Indonesia and charge dramatically Ed’s than gas stations and head shops whom are likely to have impure, or cut Kratom. Companies have been known to add grass clippings as they don’t show as adulterants in lab tests.
I have never met anyone that Kratom did not work for.
Feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected].

Cammalu said:
Now I see. One of the side effects can be irritability.

Actually, quite the opposite.  By acting on the MU opioid receptors in your brain Kratom is a known mood enhancer. 
 I think the irritation they are experiencing comes from internet trolling, a popular past time with some.  I know I get irritable when reading inflammatory posts made by people with poor real life social skills trying to create an authoritative persona by using thinly veiled, passive aggressive remarks. It is what keeps me from posting more.

"...people need to do a little research rather than jumping in blindly."

Totally agree... Evidence I read suggests that mixing other substances with Kratom could be fatal. This happens with other substances as well... it's called a synergistic effect. Either substance by itself, no problem. Combine two and you wake up dead. Please be careful!