I Hate Missouri Rental Laws

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotSmart

Reaction score
So I start heading back to Missouri to spend the next month mptying out the apartment and sending my kids to CA.  

I get a call.  Sewage is coming out the walls AGAIN!  Landlord tears out wall in downstairs bathroom.  Makes a giant mess.  Than tears out wall in upstairs bathroom.  Leaves the mess, and claims to have called a plumber.  This was on Thursday.  Next door was not notified, and floods the apartment again.  

This makes the fifth time in a month, and about the 10th time since moving in.

Missouri laws allow us to with hold $300 in rent until everything is fixed.  AFTER giving him 14 days to repair the problem.  ONLY if the city health department confirms that there is a problem..  We are in the county.  So sewage in kitchen cabnets, walls mold, bad air, everyone sneezing up blood. Dont move here.  

It sucks to not be a 1% er in MISERY

Oh, Still no plumber.

YIKES! Can you get the Fed health department involved?

get out.major health concerns as in serous life long problems

I am packing and moving everything into storage now... :dodgy:

With the "NEW" administration in power.  No Federal Health Department.  :mad:

I worked for years in the restoration industry and one of the large sources of our work was sewerage back up. It takes a very good company to actually remediate the home and bring it back to safe living conditions. Often requires replacing a lot of the structure, which few places are equipped to handle and even fewer insurance companies and/or landlords willing to cough up the dough.

Now I'm a public insurance adjuster, working on behalf of the homeowner and going after their insurance companies to get them the proper amount of money to fix the damages the correct way. Whether it be fire, flood, sewerage, etc. It's very gratifying work.

TrainChaser said:
COUNTY Health Department?

They deal with Tatoo Parlors.  The red tape favors landlords in this state. 

That is why there are so many meth labs and puppy mills here.  Lack of government oversight.

Time to head to CA where the law makes sure that the rules are followed.

Wow , just wow.
That sucks , landlords are rarely any help these days.....everywhere.

Probably find a way to say it's your fault anyway...

I am terribly sorry you're  having to deal with a situation like this.  I think a good attorney and a human interest story on a local radio or TV station or even a video showing what you and family are dealing with posted on a social media site just might get the landlords attention and light a fire under him/her on making things right with you.

If this is reoccuring and also ongoing it seems to me that the 14 day limit for a correct repair has surely past?  

Please let us know how you are coping with this.  Remember your BP meds........if you take them.

Jewellann

Looks like that landlord & health department need to take a little "Missouri boat ride".

GotSmart, 
Please do not be offended. I'm not making light of your situation. Just giving some humor, as my dear departed sweet Grandma would do(she died in 1989).  I thought I would get a spanking for something I did (I was 6-10 years old). Grandma would have that brief look of disapproval, but then she would just start laughing. She didn't let B.S. bother her. She passed on a trait to me which I try to practice today.

Has there EVER been a Federal Health Department?  I guess I wasn't aware of it.

It was the United States Department of Health, Education, and Welfare until Education was spun off into a separate department.  It's now the United States Department of Health and Human Services.

Among their sub-departments are the Surgeon General, the National Institute of Health, the Center for Disease Control, the Public Health Service, and the Food and Drug Administration.

I doubt that they have any oversight over a local problem like this.

I think the officials in charge have all been down that river.  

They have sold renters down it for sure.

Every day, twice a day I spray down the walls and cabinets with bleach water.  I have been sleeping in my van, as the downstairs still smells like mold.  He will not get any more rent out of me.