I am Will Prowse

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willprowse

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have the youtube channel with 300+ videos pertinent to van and rv living. Also author of "mobile solar power- made easy!". I am mainly here to see what questions you guys have regarding solar, and hopefully helping you out. 

Been living in vehicles for 8 years. Got a temporary room right now due to a health problem. Have lived in 2 RV's, 2 van's, car's, bushes, minivan etc etc. 

I will be probably be building out an RV or large van when my health is better, in a couple months. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• 14725618_1595383177154017_6547733907990026496_n.jpg
    14725618_1595383177154017_6547733907990026496_n.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to the forum Will. I have watched and even commented on your videos from time to time. Your experience and assistance with solar will be a welcome addition to a growing number of solar users that we have here. My thoughts are there is no right or wrong as long as your needs are met. There is help here for those that are not

Any relation to Darth Vader? ;)

When is the price of lithium batteries gonna drop to something affordable and replace lead-acids?

lenny flank said:
Any relation to Darth Vader?  ;)

When is the price of lithium batteries gonna drop to something affordable and replace lead-acids?

Good job! Most people do not know much about david prowse. And I am unsure if there is relation.

Currently, lithium batteries are cheaper if you factor in their longevity and depth of discharge. But for them to be cheaper in the short term, will require large scale manufacturing, such as the tesla gigafactory. I can't wait to see how much the price drops in the following years. I saw a refurbished goal zero 1000 this week for 840 dollars on their website... that has a 90 amp hour lithium battery!! That is super cheap!

jimindenver said:
Welcome to the forum Will. I have watched and even commented on your videos from time to time. Your experience and assistance with solar will be a welcome addition to a growing number of solar users that we have here. My thoughts are there is no right or wrong as long as your needs are met. There is help here for those that are not

Oh awesome!! Thank you :D

Welcome Will to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. good job on the intro. highdesertranger

Welcome to the forums, Will... have followed your channel for over a year! :)

-Chris

First, welcome!!! Second, posting an intro and having a video cause "controversy" (which I am not going to go into again) less than 24 hours later --- there should be a badge for that. Third, your current mindset about vandwelling should provide an interesting perspective to the forum. Btw. been following your yt channel for several months now (not sure how many).

Hi Will, Have also watched many of your videos and gotten lots of good info.  Hope your health continues to improve.

Hi Will! Welcome to the forum! Hope you heal quickly.
What are your thoughts on an inverter/charger combo? I won’t have solar for a bit, so I’ll be charging my batteries from shore power.
Thanks!

Hi Will, looking forward to your build. I don't believe I have had the pleasure of viewing your videos, but have watched so many now that I can't say for sure.
Will search them out after my data plan heals up.

ValerieP said:
Hi Will! Welcome to the forum! Hope you heal quickly.
What are your thoughts on an inverter/charger combo? I won’t have solar for a bit, so I’ll be charging my batteries from shore power.
Thanks!

Oh sure. Which one exactly? Some are great. And you may consider a plug n play system like the inergy kodiak

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
First, welcome!!! Second, posting an intro and having a video cause "controversy" (which I am not going to go into again) less than 24 hours later --- there should be a badge for that.  Third, your current mindset about vandwelling should provide an interesting perspective to the forum.  Btw. been following your yt channel for several months now (not sure how many).

Oh ok what do you mean exactly? Which video?

And yes! I am sure my mindset will challenge some beliefs here. Thats for sure. Especially how boring and lonely living in a van can be.

willprowse said:
Oh sure. Which one exactly? Some are great. And you may consider a plug n play system like the inergy kodiak

My sons and I have looked at the Renogy2000 and the Xantrex 2000.
Thanks!

I have the Renogy 2000 and I am quite happy with it. The only things to be aware of is that the build-in transfer switch is a bit "trigger-happy". If the shore-power side fluctuates a bit, like for example when running a generator and using a microwave or other high load and the generator buckles under the initial load, the Renogy thinks its time to switch to battery power immediately and there is not adjustment or delay for that (I think the reason is that the Renogy can be used as a high end UPS / battery backup for residential power failure situations). However, after living with the unit for a while, this is not a big issue if your battery bank can handle the load or if you don't use a generator often. On shore-power or with smaller loads or a bigger inverter-generator you should not have that problem.

-Chris

Hi Will,
Welcome to the forum! I have also watched a couple of your videos when I was doing my research on solar. There are a couple of solar experts here that will enjoy chatting/debating with you.  
Gypsy P

willprowse said:
Oh ok what do you mean exactly? Which video?

And yes! I am sure my mindset will challenge some beliefs here. Thats for sure. Especially how boring and lonely living in a van can be.

Your "8 health problems caused by van living and long term nomadic living" video; after watching it I posted a link to it here trying to spark a discussion of how members felt about the accuracy (not realizing you had just joined and posted an introduction the day before).  I think/hope the couple people that initially responded also did not realize you were a member as everyone referred to you in the third person and was more "blunt" instead of diplomatic with their thoughts.  The thread was closed and deleted before it moved fully into rude comments (which it may or may not have done).  In the future, I'm sure any questions/concerns/contrary opinions will be directed toward you so we can all expand our knowledge and understanding without(?) venturing toward "drama".  Welcome again; I always enjoy hearing differing opinions on subjects.

Thank you! Yes I have noticed that a lot of people on this forum get offended easily. Not what I was expecting considering this is about living on the streets. I have seen quite a few posts get deleted here to keep it "drama free". That is pretty pathetic honestly. This forum should have free speech. Then again, I am new here, and maybe the drama has caused a lot of problems. I suppose it speaks volumes about the van and rv community. Most people who live in vans and rvs in my area are on drugs or are alcoholics. So I suppose it is to be expected. Very unfortunate.