I am Will Prowse

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no books that bear my name on solar power, planters warts or any other subject. So take my feedback with that in mind.

Posting videos of your Toyota RV, loaded with unsafe wiring practices, may be a bad idea for book sales.

Seeing speaker wire without any fuses used to power multiple devices (and taped to the wall in an authors living quarters) makes any book he wrote on DC power/wiring/solar, highly questionable.
(That was the RV you used for pictures in your book, correct? I want to make sure I am seeing the correct RV. The white Toyota, with the fancy LED lights and white brush paint job, right?)

Right now I am tired so I have to try to get a little more sleep before Mrs G wakes up.
I'll have to finish this up later.

Rabbit said:
Enjoy your vids, Will! Watched the Kodiak one about eleventy-six times, researching.

Me, too! LOL   It seems a wonderful solution for me.  I can't lift a lead battery and wonder if I could do the pull cord and maintenance on a gas generator.  Seems expensive but not when you compare charge cycles to other units.  I have no interest in running wires and stuff all over, either.

it appears that willprowse's last visit here was over a month ago in January. Hopefully he didn't get Discouraged from sharing here. He sure is appreciated by many here. Will come back :)

Nope, not a single wire lacked a fuse. Proper gauge wire too. Speaker wire when used appropriately kicks butt. especially for little stuff like leds. But check the videos again. Everything is fused properly. I would never sleep a single night if a single wire was not fused. I have been living on solar power for 9 years now.

JD GUMBEE said:
I have no books that bear my name on solar power, planters warts or any other subject. So take my feedback with that in mind.

willprowse said:
Nope, not a single wire lacked a fuse.

I thought I remembered a video of yours that mentioned a hot wire and showed a 5 speaker-wire-into-one taped abortion that you had said was getting rather hot.

Could be my mistake. (However, that bare-wire job you showed on your electric fridge extension plug...I know you laughed at it and it was only temporary...but DUDE!!! You are trying to sell books out there. We all do stuff like that when experimenting, but don't post it on line!) :rolleyes:

BTW, speaker wire is not really good for more than a test. It melts too fast to be safe. Thats why speaker wire is speaker wire and power wire is power wire. The jacket and how long it can deal with red-hot-ness before it melts through and makes fire.
(A 10 ampere fuse will easily hang right in there as speaker wire melts itself  together and starts a fire.)
Check it out. Speaker wire is the lowest grade jacket out there.

Be a correct and safe example to all people, since you have made yourself an Internet solar authority.
(They do as you do...not as you say...your installs should be faultless examples of safety.)

BTW
You are one of my favorite RV personalities out there.
Your videos make me laugh and rather often...they hit the nail on the head without mincing words.
You remind me of myself about 35 years ago...young, direct, fearless. (Too bad you are not as handsome ROFL!!! :)  )
Oh...and...YES, WILL!!! #vanlife IS like a cult!!!
(Mrs G and I were almost CHEERING at the big screen when you had the stones to say that.)

It might have something to do with folks in the US thinking they have the right to not be "butthurt?"
(It may also be that the present-day generation seems to think it is okay to breastfeed into their thirties.)

Keep thinking for yourself. (Even if you are wrong about speaker wire.) ;)   LOL