I am Will Prowse

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ValerieP said:
My sons and I have looked at the Renogy2000 and the Xantrex 2000.
Thanks!

Chris added some great advice. And it depends on how large your system is. Xantrex can handle 55 amp hours of solar, and the renogy can handle 50 amps of solar. Pretty decent. Renogy and xantrex have good reputations, but I would go with the xantrex personally. I think either one would make you happy unless you plan to build a 1000+ watt solar system.

willprowse said:
Chris added some great advice. And it depends on how large your system is. Xantrex can handle 55 amp hours of solar, and the renogy can handle 50 amps of solar. Pretty decent. Renogy and xantrex have good reputations, but I would go with the xantrex personally. I think either one would make you happy unless you plan to build a 1000+ watt solar system.

Actually, the build-in charger in the Renogy (and I suspect the one in the Xantrex as well) is only for 115 VAC sources, not for solar charging. You can of course add any PWM or MPPT solar controller to this system and if you have enough panels go past 50amp charging (for most RVers that will be unlikely though). I also learned recently from forum members on another topic that a 50amp charger is actually not a very efficient way to charge a larger battery bank (particularly AGMs) from a higher wattage RV generator even though it works ok. A separate higher amp charger (100-200amp) will be more fuel efficient for that task and can also easily be added to the system. On shore-power (hookups over night at an RV park) the charger of the Renogy will work perfectly fine though...

-Chris

willprowse said:
 I have seen quite a few posts get deleted here to keep it "drama free". That is pretty pathetic honestly. This forum should have free speech. 

Haven't you ever deleted any negative comments on your youtube channel?

willprowse,
Our members either live in their vehicles or are working towards that end. Most are not living in the streets. We do have a healthy population who enjoy urban life.

Nor are we druggies and alcoholics. Some of us may fight a battle with substance abuse. I don't know. I certainly wouldn't say most. I wouldn't say anything at all. Except to offer help, privately.

This is a private forum with rules and guidelines. Your judgements are not welcome here.

willprowse said:
Thank you! Yes I have noticed that a lot of people on this forum get offended easily. Not what I was expecting considering this is about living on the streets. I have seen quite a few posts get deleted here to keep it "drama free". That is pretty pathetic honestly. This forum should have free speech. Then again, I am new here, and maybe the drama has caused a lot of problems. I suppose it speaks volumes about the van and rv community. Most people who live in vans and rvs in my area are on drugs or are alcoholics. So I suppose it is to be expected. Very unfortunate.
Welcome to the forums, I've checked a couple of your videos, very informative stuff indeed. I think part of the issue was created with the mass amount of post with only videos to get more youtube followers. Here on the forum its not an issue to post videos, but its more helpful to add a good brief summary since there are many people who have limited data that can't watch just videos. Plus it gives off the impression that one is just after youtube followers and views if they just come onto a forum and drop a video.
The site isn't so much about living on the streets, nor are many of the users here drug addicts or alcoholics. Nor is it a freedom of speech type area, as we try to stay away from many topics that may cause arguments or drama.
It seems like you may be a knowledgeable young man, hopefully you will stick around the forum, and get to know the little online community here, and help spread your knowledge to a lot of people who come here looking for a little more freedom in their life.

willprowse said:
Thank you! Yes I have noticed that a lot of people on this forum get offended easily. Not what I was expecting considering this is about living on the streets. I have seen quite a few posts get deleted here to keep it "drama free". That is pretty pathetic honestly. This forum should have free speech. Then again, I am new here, and maybe the drama has caused a lot of problems. I suppose it speaks volumes about the van and rv community. Most people who live in vans and rvs in my area are on drugs or are alcoholics. So I suppose it is to be expected. Very unfortunate.

Hey Will,

I haven't watched your video so have no idea what has happened in your life.  Shrug. Not that I may not be interested in gaining some of the knowledge you display in them but there are just so many video on youtube it is really not possible to see them all.

IMHO I don't think you can say this forum is about living on the streets, it is so very much more.  Although by societies standards both types, street people and van dwellers, are 'homeless' there is a difference. Decades ago, three maybe four - I forget, I ended up living on the streets through various bad decisions and a lot of help from outside influences.  I fully understand 'living on the streets' and what it really entails.  I have slept secluded in bushes at night with gunfights going on around.  And I fully understand living in a van having done that for a couple years about a decade ago.  There is a very large difference between the two. 

I am an firm believer in freedom of speech.  BUT there has to be some limits.  Courtesy and respect for other people and their viewpoints is why there is minimal but effective censorship here.  And to keep out the trolls.  I may not like or agree with some of the decisions but am happy that it is here.

Anyway maybe someday our paths will cross in Ehrenburg and I can have a chance to sit down with you and pick your brains on solar energy.  Having 15 years as an Electronic Engineering Tech I have a few questions that are just not covered in most information I see dispersed.  Or I get the pat answer of 'I have no idea how or why it works but it is the best way'.  Hope to see you in the future.

cyndi said:
willprowse,
Our members either live in their vehicles or are working towards that end. Most are not living in the streets. We do have a healthy population who enjoy urban life.

Nor are we druggies and alcoholics. Some of us may fight a battle with substance abuse. I don't know. I certainly wouldn't say most. I wouldn't say anything at all. Except to offer help, privately.

This is a private forum with rules and guidelines. Your judgements are not welcome here.

I hear this word "judgement" thrown around very carelessly, a lot. People need to know there is a difference between a judgement (bias, as you meant it) versus an observation. There is nothing wrong with a judgement (conclusion) based on empirical evidence, regardless of how small the sample size might seem to you. This guy appears to have lived on the streets (in RVs, vans, cars) for 8 years; if he says most of the #vanlife people he has seen are alcoholics or/and have drug problems, then that is a useful information to newbies like me. That doesn't mean you are one or the people you know are like that. People need to pay attention to the word "most" (re: he didn't say "all") and stop being offended at everything.

If you have a problem with something he said on his YouTube channel, your comment belongs there; not here. Coming to a 'Introduce Yourself" thread to write what you did is pretty hostile in my opinion. I'd argue the way "don't be judgmental" blanket statement (to scare people away) is more offensive as it intimidates people who want to freely express their opinion, which contributes to #vanlife community. You don't have to agree with everything being said here (re: just because you don't agree doesn't mean it should be censored) and I don't believe any user has a right to say "you are not welcome here" to another user. This guy has a ton of solar + electrical knowledge (and it seems like he even has a book on the subject) and I personally can learn (or ask questions) a lot. Why alienate someone like this? So he is welcome here as far as I am concerned.

Very well said kmetris.
From Collins online dictionary.
A FORUM is a place, situation, or group in which people exchange ideas and discuss issues, especially important public issues.
TOLERANCE is the quality of allowing other people to say and do what they like, even if you do not agree with or approve of it. I might add, so long as it doesn't harm another.
Moderators should be the protectors of these ideals, as should we all. Within in reason of course.

Fine and good, but saying something like "I have come across a lot of people living in vans that are in poverty and struggle with substance abuse"

is avoiding further propagating a very harmful stigma.

Visiting a certain county and announcing in the local diner "man you all a bunch of dirt-poor alkies and dopers! "

is also not appropriate and will elicit a similar response.

The fact that it may be technically true is besides the point, it is the implication that such people are being **judged** a "lower" class of human that needs correcting.

Don't ask for tolerance of intolerance

As much as I appreciate the criticism and support I'd ask you to start another thread for that.

tx2sturgis said:
Haven't you ever deleted any negative comments on your youtube channel?

Oh yes absolutely. No joke, there are people that will post racist/ anti-gay type material. Really hateful stuff. Had one guy write hundreds of comments saying he wants to burn down my rv and how much he hates rv people. I deleted tons of comments. I guess I shouldnt do that. I just hate when people are mean. I guess this forum is really strict as well, and they regulate the content, but I respect it. I read the rules and am trying to make everyone happy.

WanderLoveJosh said:
Welcome to the forums, I've checked a couple of your videos, very informative stuff indeed. I think part of the issue was created with the mass amount of post with only videos to get more youtube followers. Here on the forum its not an issue to post videos, but its more helpful to add a good brief summary since there are many people who have limited data that can't watch just videos. Plus it gives off the impression that one is just after youtube followers and views if they just come onto a forum and drop a video.
The site isn't so much about living on the streets, nor are many of the users here drug addicts or alcoholics. Nor is it a freedom of speech type area, as we try to stay away from many topics that may cause arguments or drama.
It seems like you may be a knowledgeable young man, hopefully you will stick around the forum, and get to know the little online community here, and help spread your knowledge to a lot of people who come here looking for a little more freedom in their life.

Yeah totally fair. Totally understand. I am getting familiar with the rules. And the only videos I would post here are solar videos that can actually help people. Sorry if it seemed like it wasnt! Oops. 

And yeah sure, will try to contribute the best I can :)

C-Cat said:
Actually, the build-in charger in the Renogy (and I suspect the one in the Xantrex as well) is only for 115 VAC sources, not for solar charging. You can of course add any PWM or MPPT solar controller to this system and if you have enough panels go past 50amp charging (for most RVers that will be unlikely though). I also learned recently from forum members on another topic that a 50amp charger is actually not a very efficient way to charge a larger battery bank (particularly AGMs) from a higher wattage RV generator even though it works ok. A separate higher amp charger (100-200amp) will be more fuel efficient for that task and can also easily be added to the system. On shore-power (hookups over night at an RV park) the charger of the Renogy will work perfectly fine though...

-Chris

Great to know!! Thanks Chris. Was not aware.

I was thinking the charger would only be for charging from shore power or a generator, and that I’ll need a different gizmo when I get the solar hooked up. Well, anyway, I hope that is what you’ve said!
Will- your book arrived today and I’ve begun to read it- so far it makes sense- thanks!

ValerieP said:
I was thinking the charger would only be for charging from shore power or a generator, and that I’ll need a different gizmo when I get the solar hooked up. Well, anyway, I hope that is what you’ve said!
Will- your book arrived today and I’ve begun to read it- so far it makes sense- thanks!

Yes Valerie, that is exactly correct. And all RVs that have house batteries already come with a build-in charger that works when hooked up to shore-power or the generator. However, that charger is usually very cheap and extremely inefficient (they call it the "converter" in RV Manufacturer lingo and it usually is build into or located near the fuse panel). So it's a good idea to invest in a better separate charger or an inverter + build in charger like the Renogy for any larger battery bank. Adding solar charging is done by incorporating a solar charge controller and I would pretty much always invest in a MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracker) solar charger... they may cost a bit more, but can run solar panels more efficiently, particularly if you have several panels...

One cool thing about such battery bank / charger systems is that you can add pretty much as many chargers as you want, since they all measure how much voltage is present and regulate their own contribution: let's say your roof system is maxed out because of space and the limit of that charger, but you want to add a portable panel to set up in the grass outside the RV - just have the portable panel on their own charge controller (a lot of them have already one build-in) and you're set! :)

willprowse said:
Yeah totally fair. Totally understand. I am getting familiar with the rules. And the only videos I would post here are solar videos that can actually help people. Sorry if it seemed like it wasnt! Oops. 

And yeah sure, will try to contribute the best I can :)

Please do stick around. Your experience and knowledge are valuable. You have definitely helped me prepare for van living. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to meet you Will. Hope you regain your health soon and I will start viewing your solar videos. I am planning on selling my big telescope to finance my solar setup. When I bought it in 2003, I had planned to take it to the southwest for the dark skies there, but never got around to it. Oh well, long as I get solar because I need my electrons :D I too, am a fan of freedom of speech. I am a big study of good health practices and using natural remedies for healing. As I have dealt with my own spinal cord injury for 21 years now, I have learned a lot about the human body. I might add that I am not a fan of modern medicine nor it's effects.

Hi Will!  I have been a member of this forum for a while now and I just found your videos on you tube.  You have helped me greatly understanding this solar stuff.  I have also battled Plantar Fasciitis for the last  2 years and it has resolved mostly.  I will have to check out your book on that.

Enjoy your vids, Will! Watched the Kodiak one about eleventy-six times, researching.

Well Howdy Will !!!
Welcome to the forums. I've watched several of your videos, they are always helpful. I've shared links to a few of them with others. I hope you get better soon, feeling back to par & chipper so you can keep up the danged good video works.