Hybrid Mini Split

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoNiE

Reaction score
I met a guy this weekend who was buying some 8020 aluminum rails I had on offerup and I just happened to ask him what he was doing with them. He is making a solar tracking array. We got to talking, and he has one of these Hybrid Mini Splits. He keeps a 900 sq ft section of his house cool with it on solar all day and the grid at night.

http://www.hotspotenergy.com/solar-air-conditioner/

acdc12b-system.png

acdc12c-solar-ac.JPG

He said it works well on three 300W panels.  The thing is pretty cool. Has connections for the panels so presumably has the inverter for  the solar built in.

At $1,700 it is not much more than a name brand mini split (Mitsubishi, Sanyo, etc.)  and if you factor in the cost of a separate inverter and / or charge controller, it isn't much. I am thinking of adding a minisplit to my Motorhome, and may go with this one. I would just need to add an autotransformer if I want to use it on shore/mains/genset power when only 110V is available.

I then got to thinking, a Cargo trailer with 3" of foam insulation all around and one of these with 900-1,200 w of panels on the roof would probably work well...

Anyone here have one of these?

Very interesting. Ask them what DC voltage range they'll accept, for those not wanting to dedicate panels to a single consumer?

And make sure the bouncing around part doesn't void the warranty.

Or build that into the decision calculations.