Hunting season safety issues?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree Carla... hunting season kinda correlates with fall the best camping of the year in some places. Living by the north shore there are some beautiful sites between now and November. That’s when our deer season starts and I’ll be gone!

Many of.those ATV trails are old logging or mining roads and hunters probably will not hunt nearby due to traffic and noise. Strict rules about staying on established trails actually helps prevent damage to surrounding lands and provides access for handicapped/disabled persons. Remember public lands are used by many unless restricted like in National Parks which really should be providing access to handicapped or disabled visitors.

The DNR (state parks) and national forest service have gone too far in catering to the interests of hunters (and ATV groups) here in Illinois...... October is the best month for camping in southern Illinois.
Hunters and ATV riders are large in number, are well organized, have paid lobbyists, and show up in large numbers to meetings where public comments are taken for policy decisions. Plus hunters and riders spend lots of money in bars, restaurants, and hotels so locals support them. Dispersed campers are a small group who don't spend much money or show up for meetings.

The only season I would have any concern for are the three day youth firearm hunt in October and the firearm deer hunt around Thanksgiving. And if it is like Minnesota and Montana the first weekends are the only ones where the woods are busy. So if you are concerned there are 3 days in October and a couple of long weekends around Thanksgiving that would be problematic. All the other seasons pose no more risk than any other time of the year.

For 40 years we dispersed camped in Northern Minnesota during deer season and still camp and ride horses during elk season in central Montana with no problems.
No one is telling you you cannot camp during hunting seasons, that is your decision.

The DNR (state parks) and national forest service have gone too far in catering to the interests of hunters (and ATV groups) here in Illinois.
I feel ya but those who do not hunt or ever understand the reasons WHY hunting is so required to control populations of animals living in cramped human living spaces just 'won't get it'........there are tons of info why hunting is absolutely beneficial and an absolute requirement to keep 'our controlled thru human upset in nature' healthy.....revenue thru hunting permits etc keep a population of critters in check and supplies rev to keep parks open too...keeps nature as it should be as 'we humans now need to control' thru our actions of destroying land/food/shelter etc for animals...and more :) but that aside, can't help ya on that ATV issue LOL ATV and all that is a huge issue in many areas. I also feel ya on that one but I don't know the 'whatever' involving ATV trail issues in a state and the why it should be increased?

have you done any real research as to the why this could be becoming a wider scope of allowing ATVs where they have not been before? just curious, I don't know :) :)

Hunters and ATV riders are large in number, are well organized, have paid lobbyists, and show up in large numbers to meetings where public comments are taken for policy decisions. Plus hunters and riders spend lots of money in bars, restaurants, and hotels so locals support them. Dispersed campers are a small group who don't spend much money or show up for meetings.
Agree with all that except we have very little dispersed camping in Illinois. It is almost nonexistent. Plenty of campers, spending plenty of money, but most are not members of organized groups. So no lobbyists, no politics, no good ole boys.