Hunting season safety issues?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StacyK

Reaction score
Should I take any special safety precautions while boondocking in the Rocky Mountains during hunting season?

I am not looking for advice on any other topic or for commentary on hunting. I just want to know if it is good practice to wear orange, park in the open, etc. I would like to be both courteous to hunters and safe from stray shots. Thanks in advance for any practical information.

Blaze orange on upper body minimum; I would add a hat or cap also. Each state has a different minimum required.

If in a National Forest, talk to a ranger. They know what is required and hunting laws.
You will have a lot of competition for camping spots as many hunters disperse camp.

Hunting season is a good time to stay closer to main roads or visit more established or populated areas out of prime hunting areas. I wear blaze orange most of the time or a blaze orange safety vest with reflective tape morning and evening. My vehicle has a large blaze orange triangle as it is a slow moving vehicle on the rear tail gate. First day of hunting season would be a good day to be out of the woods as many excited hunters make mistakes the first day. Many hunters are limited to areas they can hunt so they won’t appreciate somebody in “their” area scaring the game away. Speak with a local wildlife officer or ranger to find good areas to camp or stay away from when the hunt is on.

Should all hunters practice all safety precautions you’d have no worries... but like mentioned about opening day, there are many who when they hit the woods forget everything taught in gun safety class. Here where I live it’s only the hunters that are required to wear the blaze orange... but we typically wear at least some blaze orange like for myself I have people come a little close to where I live. Fall and hunting season is a great time to be out hiking also. But there are usually plenty of places to do that where hunting is more restricted or not allowed all together. While being in an open area your more visible and such. But trees act as a good barrier from said stray bullets. And once the leaves fall your pretty visible. Setting up camp on top of a hill should be safer theoretically... no one should be pointing a gun in an upward angle especially if there isn’t enough cover to contain a bullet. But I tend to find a place where you’d really have to be an idiot to shoot in my direction. Finding a camp might be best done in day light hours. Sure hate to wake up camped under a deer stand. Haha! Good thread to remind us all to be aware and take precautions during this time of year. Especially when the leaves are changing and it’s a beautiful time to be out in nature.

^^^It is in many areas managed by the National Park Service but is highly controlled and seldom advertised or known. In fact there are several professional hunters paid to do just that by the government. It is legal to duck and big horn sheep hunt within the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area which is managed by the National Park Service for example.

There are areas where hunting is restricted or not a concern as the game possibilities are so limited. Just ask local wildlife managers or rangers in the areas you are in. I think what she is advocating is visit those areas during open hunting seasons.

Hunting is prohibited in the Rocky Mountain National Park. But that is just one relatively small portion of the Rocky Mountain range.

It is good to have a few articles of safety orange, pink or yellow in your camping wardrobe. Not just for hunting season but also if you need to change a flat tire or do some other task on the shoulder of a road. The vest with highway safety colors as well as light reflecting tape will work and they will not take up a lot of storage space. Get it in a size big enough to wear over your winter jacket.

Last edited:
hell yea you should LOL
this is gun time out there and you a 'moving target' so yea, I would be super careful to the max. Orange big time and better yet, STAY out of the woods IF a known hot spot for hunting. Many rely on that meat during hunt season to get their tags for food survival in some areas you might be at and what do their eyes want, movement and a trigger pull.........be super safe and not even do it for the weeks it entails IF IN high hunt zone area. Said my peace on it :) Poaching is always in the forrests but not as great as the threat of a 'real hunt season full on' ever so....be you, do smart.

I've been in the woods during hunting season for over 60 years and never been shot at.
As in any situation go with your 'spidy sense': if you don't feel safe, move. Wear blaze orange whenever you are out and about. If you have a dog get a blaze orange vest for it too.
National Forest campgrounds are safe but they usually are full of hunters (and you may have to pay). National Park campgrounds are more spendy and some require reservations.
As I mentioned before; it is always a good idea to talk to a ranger whenever you are going into a National Forest.

Thanks for your input, everyone. For reasons I won’t bore you with, I travel slowly—100 miles a week is about the max—so I’m leaving northeastern Colorado tomorrow to be near Quartzsite by December. It will be hard to avoid hunting season altogether in that time frame, so I appreciate your helping me gauge the risk. I am now the proud owner of two orange vests—one for me and one for the back of my camp chair—and a cap. I’ll be passing a ranger station tomorrow and will stop to ask All the Questions. I’ve planned the timing of the route to avoid rifle season for deer and elk in the wildest places and opening days altogether. After a lovely summer visiting family, I’m looking forward to being on the road again. Cheers!

I've been in the woods during hunting season for over 60 years and never been shot at.
As in any situation go with your 'spidy sense': if you don't feel safe, move. Wear blaze orange whenever you are out and about. If you have a dog get a blaze orange vest for it too.
Surprised hunters would shoot at moving targets without confirming what the target is. I mean, we need to wear blaze orange when camping or hiking because we could be mistaken for an animal?

I knew about a woman on the east coast who was shot because of the colors in her mittens, but I thought that was extremely rare. Assumed the orange/pink was for the hunters only. For whatever reason.

Yes for your own safety. In thickly wooded areas a first time excited hunter that figures it may be their only chance to get a shot will take it. For them it is easy to misidentify game due to lack of experience and easy to pull the trigger due to adrenaline. Many states require hunters wear blaze orange to prevent accidents and figures anyone else with any common sense will too. Better yet stay out of the woods during the opening days of deer, moose and elk season if you are not hunting. Here in Utah the Henry Mountains have a buffalo season as well but I doubt any campers would be up there hiking in the snow and cold during it other than the hunters.

hey too when riding our horses and trailered up to the mt we rode our normal trail and knew it was hunt time but we stuck to a well known 'horse trail' which was always ridden and massive popular and are we sure deemed safe, heard a big HEY!!!! From above us! Guy was up in a tree stand hunting deer and we were shocked......but we said SO sorry, we turned and rode out and trailered the horses and back home we went on that one travel ride. :) sometimes the brain forgets and thinks, nope, not gonna happen but weirdo crap happens out there in hunt season, lol, so 1 time in 40 yrs of riding, yea crap can happen very fast during hunt season, might be more rare but that more rare can kill ya too so? just be smart and do you and one's situation as ya deem fit.

I think theres been good advice so far. I agree its smart to wear blaze orange when out during hunting season, your dog as well. It varies by area as to how crazy it can get, but not a bad idea anywhere theres seasons open.

Im not against hunting in saying how crazy it can get. I hunt now and then, more so in the past. I stopped hunting larger game in Az before I moved because it was so crazy. One year on opening morning of deer season from my place I counted over 100 shots that I could hear before noon. In stark contrast Ive heard less than that in the past 30-some years since moving to the northern rockies. Before I moved I started hunting the North Kaibab in Az because of it, but still ran into guys saying they "took a sound shot" and other such insanity.

Theres plenty of intelligent, squared away people out hunting, unfortunately, theres also some real poorly informed and uncaring people out.

Staying closer to more developed areas and campgrounds is probably a good idea during local hunting seasons, or more open areas where it would be harder to mistake what someone could see or hear.

Last edited:
I think theres been good advice so far. I agree its smart to wear blaze orange when out during hunting season, your dog as well. It varies by area as to how crazy it can get, but not a bad idea anywhere theres seasons open...

Staying closer to more developed areas and campgrounds is probably a good idea during local hunting seasons, or more open areas where it would be harder to mistake what someone could see or hear.
The DNR (state parks) and national forest service have gone too far in catering to the interests of hunters (and ATV groups) here in Illinois. It is too hot and humid to camp in Illinois in the summer months. Especially southern Illinois. So spring and fall are our best camping seasons.

If we shouldn't camp during hunting season, then in Illinois that means no camping from September 1 to Jan. 15. October is the best month for camping in southern Illinois.

Unless I'm mistaken about these seasons: https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/conservation/wildlife/Documents/Season Dates Rules of Thumb.pdf

As a side note, I was disappointed to see the national forest service promoting ATV trails on FB in Illinois' only national forest. It is inexplicable.