HOWA truck topper conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carla618

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw Bob's newest video & it includes a truck bed conversion with a topper. I hope Bob does a video on that conversion.

Anyone know of any videos or websites showing a similar conversion? (With floor to ceiling framing?)

Video starts at the portion showing the topper:

I'm at the Bring Your Own Vehicle site and have watched the progression of this job. It's being done by two experienced carpenters with help from the recipient. They built the framing completely self supporting and separate from the topper so that the topper can be removed without disturbing the build. There's more footage of the build on HOWA's YouTube channel -

For anyone who's near Pahrump there will be an open house at the build site. Pizza, cupcakes, and more. Everyone is welcome to come!!

Hiya Carla........

Looks like they built a modular 2x2 frame inside the topper....Walls and Ceiling....insulated one side and "paneled" the interior side.........a squared off room with a crawl-in-door

Thats a lot of space to give up in an already tiny house......................

Hiya Carla........

Looks like they built a modular 2x2 frame inside the topper....Walls and Ceiling....insulated one side and "paneled" the interior side.........a squared off room with a crawl-in-door

Hi AB,

I thought so, too. I wondered if they will be adding small doors to access the empty spaces.

The 2x2 frame is what caught my attention. I have been thinking of adding just a frame... like in that video. I want places to hang things and keep things in place with bungee cords and netting. Wood to screw hooks into and on two sides (front and drivers side), shelves.

I bought a cot that clears the wheel well from a place in Spokane. And my daughter cut and added Reflectix to all the windows. Granddaughter painted the interior of the topper white. If I did the 2x2 frame with shelves and counter, I would probably paint the wood white. Except for the counter.

I've never built anything, so I was hoping to see how they connected the pieces. And what size screws to use.

Edit: When I imagined my framing job, I pictured it collapsing. So that vid made me think maybe I could do it, lol.

Last edited:
Very few people are aware of the HOWA YT channel. Any ideas on how to get more traffic to it?
This forum should be able to send many to HOWA'S YT channel. Maybe give HOWA a category for itself. Except newcomers won't know what HOWA means and not click on it. So come up with a name that lets people know they can get their rigs updated for free.

I'm trying to think of how other forums help visitors navigate. Especially newcomers. I think many have "READ THIS FIRST" at the top of the forums main page. Then under most categories there will be posts at the top beginning with "STICKY". People expect them in forums. It lets them know where they can find especially important info... which HOWA is.

If having a slider window on the truck makes you feel safer then get one put in it. Living in constant anxiety will wreck you mentally and physically.

But the reality is if someone is out to get to you they can break into the cab before you have time to wiggle your way through the slider and get seated behind the wheel to drive away. Unless you are a petite and physically fit woman who has practiced going through that opening it will be a slow struggle to transition into the cab.

Get some pepper spray and/or a taser and keep it in an easy to reach place. An air horn is not going to do much of anything for you, not even in an urban situation. Are you expecting someone to get out of bed, run outside at night and rescue you from immediate danger in an urban area if they hear an air horn at night? The people around might call 911 but that is also not immediate rescue help as the night shift in policed areas is not fully staffed.

Break-ins to steal stuff from vehicles in urban areas are far more common than physical attacks. The person trying to break in is most likely to run off rather than stick around if they find you inside.

Last edited:
If having a slider window on the truck makes you feel safer then get one put in it.

Get some pepper spray and/or a taser and keep it in an easy to reach place. An air horn is not going to do much of anything for you, not even in an urban situation.
Thanks Maki,

I'm not getting a slider. Someone asked if I have one.

I thought an air horn might make someone leave. Like a barking dog. Same with motion activated lights.

The only urban areas I'll be sleeping in are Walmarts, truck stops, etc. Pepper spray is on my list, too. And bear spray. No Taser.

My kids just bought me a Coleman Instant tent for my birthday. So I'll be tent camping, too. Dispersed.

If you have a newer vehicle with a key fob it should have a panic button (horn, flashing lights). That would be a better first response to someone/something attempting to enter your vehicle. One of the purposes of a noise maker is to make the attacker pause to reassess. This gives you a few seconds to collect your wits and set up your defense, if needed. An air horn going off inside a metal box will not be pleasant for you.

I think it makes the most sense to start from scratch on a pickup, so you can get plenty of room. Those toppers just aren't enough.

Insulated structural panels are cheap and easy to make. I've done a couple... the 2nd one tall enough to stand in. 3/4" XPS foam (pink or blue) core, thin ply skins (I used 2.7mm luan) and glued together with PL Premium. Coat the exterior with something durable and waterproof. You can put wood slats in the core also to give you hard points for attaching things.

I did mine using a raised topper and had plans to start from scratch and build a pop-top slide in because it would give me more room and allow me to stand up, but plans have changed. I agree with you though,rruf, it would be better. Would cost more, but would be better.

Popups are hard to build right! Don't like them myself. I actually think "tall enough to stand in" is over rated. Tall enough to sit up straight and comfortable is the sweet spot.

In the grand scheme of things the cost of building a decent insulated shell is cheap. $1k or so for a small "sit up" shell. Maybe $2k for a nice one with cabover storage.

I actually think "tall enough to stand in" is over rated. Tall enough to sit up straight and comfortable is the sweet spot.
If you are an older male. Then standing up to completely empty your bladder is necessary. And kneeling is problematic, even with good knees.

If you are an older male. Then standing up to completely empty your bladder is necessary. And kneeling is problematic, even with good knees.
I'm older but maybe not that old. Sitting on the edge of the bed doesn't work?

The way the urethra is shaped makes emptying the bladder a restricted, uphill battle when seated. Women don't have an 'S' bend in their urethra.
Combine that with an enlarged prostate restricting flow makes leakage when you lay back down problematic. Don't worry, all men eventually get there.

Hi, A year ago I was shopping for a slide in camper for my '86 F-250, beat up leaking junkyard bound wrecks were 4 to 6 thousand dollars, I bought 2x2 metal studs, 6 inch track & used tech screws to attach to the sides of the pickup. I used 2 inch foam insulation on the outside of the studs, & covered with poormans fiberglass, (canvas covered with latex paint) I used inch & 1/2 foam insulation between the studs & used 1/16 paneling for sheathing. Inch & 1/2 foam on the floor with osb over that. I can still stand up straight inside (I'm 6'1") my bad knees would never forgive me for crawling in & out of a conventional pick up canopy. Total expenses were just over $400. It's not pretty, but it works. I'm not a cabinet maker, so I got a roll top desk on craigslist for free, for storage.

Attachments

• SUNP0002.JPG
    SUNP0002.JPG
    391.6 KB · Views: 9
  • SUNP0003.JPG
    SUNP0003.JPG
    410.8 KB · Views: 10
My home built topper worked well for the two of us although it was taller and had more wind resistance than I would have liked when traveling on the interstate. It was great on two lane highways with speed limIts below 55MPH.