How to travel slow?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I could do about 45 mph or less for the rest of my life, I would.

I literally got the only speeding ticket ever in my life on the literal slowest motorized, road legal vehicle I have ever owned...a 250 cc dual sport bike that i lived off of for about 5 or 6 years. I was trying to gain some momentum to make it up a hill in VT and hit about 47 mph just before the sign that changed the speed limit to 50...brand new cop there pulled me over and ticketed me.
I was literally laughing, as it took all it could to hit 47 even at the bottom of that hill.

Charly said:
If I could do about 45 mph or less for the rest of my life, I would.

You can! Just need to get a truck like mine. ;-)

WalkaboutTed said:
One year, we decided to take the old US 80 road from Phoenix to San Diego. It took us 6 days to drive 400 miles. Is that slow enough?  
Ted

I drove part of Old Highway 80 from east of Jacumba Hot Springs until forking on 94, south to Tecate. That drive FELT like six days. And Tecate to Ensenada felt like two weeks.

RE: driving slow, taking your time, and ENJOYING your travels . . .

I am the proud recipient of a ticket issued by a New York State Trooper in 1969 for going too slow on I-90 (New York State Thruway) near Jamestown, NY in my 1958 Morris Minor; 47 mph. The ‘Ol girl just wouldn’t go any faster, especially up hill! I still have that ticket. I KNOW about going slowly!

Here’s what I do to enjoy my drives . . .

1> Unless I’m in heavy, bumper-to-bumper traffic on a restricted access highway and risk holding up traffic I drive in the right lane at the minimum legal speed. Having traffic pass me is much safer than me passing them.

2> I also enjoy traveling on roads designated as US Highways or major state highways. They go through small towns and give you a closer local experience than Interstates and Turnpikes.

3> I try to follow my 1-2-3 rule. 1- Get on the road by 1:00 pm; 2- Drive no more than 2 hours; 3- Arrive at my new overnight location (usually Walmart or a nice truck stop) by 3:00.

4> Sometimes a trip of 150 miles takes me two days!

I enjoy taking my time, plus it’s much safer and I get better fuel mileage. Win-win!

Are the s-l-o-w drivers here the type whose joy seems to be directly proportional to the number of vehicles they can back up behind them? :D :D :D

Nope, not me!

I don't like to see traffic backed up behind me. A lot of them then take foolish chances by passing me in no passing zones etc. etc. Oh, yea and a lot of them like to climb on my back bumper like that's going to make me go faster.... :rolleyes:

I also don't like to travel any faster than I want to. Which is usually a tad slower than the posted speed liimit except in TX where it's WAY below the posted speed limit...come on 70 mph on a 2 lane back highway with no shoulders and open range...sigh!

I do my best to allow all traffic to get by me. I pull over at the earliest convenience. When I see a safe passing area, I use my turn signal, slow down and then wave traffic past me as long as it's safe for them to do so.

No, my joy is directly proportional to passing the fast drivers after they have been pulled over by the cops for speeding, or standing glazed and confused by their car in a ditch changing their Fruit-of-the-Looms . . .

Pretty snarky comment in #47 . . .

Hi,

I recently got my disabled plates and also had them personalized.
They say GRAMPA.

Why?

1. I am a Grampa

2. I drive the speed limit but sometimes I drive 5 over if I am feeling frisky.

3. Lets drivers behind me know I drive like a Grampa before they can curse me for DRIVING like a Grampa.

I gave up my fast car 6 years ago, I know what its like to go fast in the "fast lane".

Now I'm enjoying life in the slow lane.

:D

MrNoodly said:
Are the s-l-o-w drivers here the type whose joy seems to be directly proportional to the number of vehicles they can back up behind them? :D :D :D

Nope, people on my tail make me V-E-R-Y nervous.

I pull over the first safe spot I see. Makes my day to see the surprised and pleased looks I get from the other drivers.

I use National Parks as destinations, and other NPS units and State Parks as waypoints. Often along the way I'll find a random brown sign and pull in. Sometimes it's a really unknown place with an interesting history. 

That's how I found Earthquake Lake on my way to Montana. The lake was formed after a 7.5 earthquake in 1959 caused a landslide, which dammed the river.

It's also how I found Falls Campground on my way to Grand Teton. It was nice, quiet, primitive, and cheap (for a pay campground). Just far enough from GTNP to avoid the tourist noise, but close enough to commute to the park to explore.  (And if you're ever in GTNP, be sure to check out the Lawrence S. Rockefeller Preserve, and the only Elk Preserve in the country!)