How to mount tinted polycarbonate for a window

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
van window.jpgI bought a Chevy conversion van to make into a camper van.  One of the big side glass got broke and am having trouble finding a replacement.  I want to put 3/16 thick tinted dark gray lexan to replace the glass.  The original glass was held in with some kind of black putty stuff.  No rubber gasket just the putty.  My question is what would work the best to glue the Lexan to the frame of the window.  Would 3M 5200 work for something like this??  I attached a photo of the window.  Right now I have a piece of plywood and black garbage bag spray glued to it to keep rain out until I get it figured out.  Thank you for any advice.

Attachments

• van window.jpg
    van window.jpg
    1.1 MB
an auto window replacement company can cut and install a custom polycarb window for you. Call around for an estimate, prices can vary considerably between installers.

crofter said:
Do you want it to open? 
-crofter
No not on this one.  I probably will remove the small opening part and make it a one piece.  This particular window won't really be used for a window so I just want something in there to keep rain out and look halfway nice.

Windshield ribbon was used to mount 1968 Camaro windshields and I have used it for mounting Lexan windshields to vertical 1 1/2" pipe frames on off road vehicles. It is more puddy like and is similar to the gasket material used on RVs. It is super sticky don't let it touch itself and cut to length with something sharp. Apply to a clean surface. You can get it off with carb cleaner. Should you ever need to remove the window you will have to shove an ice pick through the ribbon and saw it with a guitar string wrapped around wooden dowel handles. It will try to slide down slowly for the first few days so you will need to put 2 small screws or glue the rubber blocks spacer blocks that come with the ribbon for the Lexan to rest on. No additional hardware to hold the Lexan are needed It will not come off even if you lay on your back and push with both feet breaking the Lexan. Good stuff for something you want permanently mounted but you do need to apply pressure to make it contact and seat in the ribbon when you install it.

Latest posts