How to level my bed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29855

Reaction score
Hi,
I live in a Chevy G20 van. I don't have a gas refrigerator, so I don't need to level my entire van. I just want to be able to level my mattress at night. My mattress measures 36 x 72 inches, and I currently have it on a wooden frame.

I realize I could level the entire van with blocks or jacks, but that destroys the stealthiness of my van. With the exception of the solar panels on the roof which are difficult to recognize, I look like just any other van, and I want to keep it that way. No complaints from nosy neighbors, no late night knocking by the police or security, just a level sleeping platform.

Thanks in advance,

Geneeus

Go to a lumber yard and get some free scrap cutoof pieces of wood to put ubder the feet of your bed. Ot change to using adjustable legs on the bed. But will quickly learn to find a level spot to camp in as that is a nuisance to level it everyday.

I myeslf dont have a lot of trouble sleeping as long as I dont roll out of bed.

Geneeus said:
I realize I could level the entire van with blocks or jacks, but that destroys the stealthiness of my van.

These won't help much if you're regularly parking on the street but in parking lots,etc. they would help (below link is to Camco RV levels):

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25503-...ocphy=1022639&hvtargid=pla-450123562523&psc=1

One of these is mounted right above the rear view mirror and the other is located above the passenger window.

My bed is located behind the driver's seat so I like to park with a slight tilt to the left so I don't roll out of bed.

PS: They have them at Walmart,too.

The few times I've needed to park at a curb or other side-to-side tilt, I put a pillow at the downhill side of my torso. It worked very well.

slow2day said:
...One of these is mounted right above the rear view mirror and the other is located above the passenger window...

I sometimes use the bubble level app on my phone. I lay the phone on my doghouse since all the other surfaces are curved or slanted.

I remember.........Somebody posted here on CRVL a photo of auto scissor jacks supporting two corners of the end of his bed frame

.........TXtoSturgis replied to the post ?

What about simple, wedge-type composite furniture shims? I have them around the base of an aquarium that weighs over 1000lbs, so the water level is even.

Scissor jacks under each side of the bed. The example I remember seeing had 4, 2 on each side. Raise or lower until it is level. I suppose you could put a level with bubble on the bed. So you could be parked on a slant but still get the bed level.

The scissor jacks is a good idea, fast way to adjust. I have mounted stove levelers in each of the posts on my bed. I mounted the bubble levels on both the side of my bed and the end, so i could level it each way. Depending on how unlevel, I will use these levelers or shims. As stated above, I try to find a level spot to begin with.

https://www.amazon.com/Tech-Team-Re...1609039348&sprefix=stove+level,aps,223&sr=8-8

Don’t know if your still looking. You could take 4x4’s as legs on the bed. Drill them down the center lengthwise. Place a t-nut on the bottom. Run all thread up the center, place a double nut at the top of the all thread. And use a cordless drill to adjust the height on each corner. Or just a wrench.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Yo[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]u dont want to be crawling around under the bed trying to shim the legs because you probably have a ton of stuff all rat holed there. Simply have Home Depot cut you a 36"x 72" piece of 1/2" plywood, sand the corners  and now  lay it on the base of your existing bed. Put your bedding on top of this, now when your unlevel simply fold some towels and stuff you have to act as a shim between the new piece and the old piece.[/font]

I got accustomed to sleeping on not-exactly-level ground during my many years of camping/backpacking. It's by far the cheapest and easiest way to approach this issue.

I keep a pillow at each end of my bed, so I can switch ends myself, in the middle of the night if need be. Whichever pillow is at the foot helps keep my feet warm.

MrNoodly said:
I sometimes use the bubble level app on my phone. I lay the phone on my doghouse since all the other surfaces are curved or slanted.

Good tip. I didn't know that, "There's an app for that".  I'm new to smart phones and amazed by what's out there.

I downloaded a free one on Google Play. Nice.

Latest posts