How soon will electric or hybrid vans/RVs be common?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
I hope soon we will have affordable EV RVs and vans ...
I don't think it will be for a long time. E-Vans will be going for commercial uses for while. If they provide the low cost maintenance that is touted, they will be kept longer. The vans that do get converted to campers will still be out of my price range for many years.

RoamerRV428

Reaction score
not in our lifetime :) buy what ya want, what you can afford and live life....this stuff is eons ahead of us ol' farts and even the younger age farts HA

lauratheexplorer

Reaction score
In 2019 a Prius van with stow seats was introduced in Japan, even the passenger seat stowed so I called the local Toyota dealer and asked when here….they never heard of it but I keep hoping

lauratheexplorer

Reaction score
Agree, in general. I've always floated the following ideas as how I think this can shake out:

• Starting now -> future: Continue to build out solar, wind, and hydro power where it's viable.
  • Near term: Replace coal plants with natural gas, which have half the carbon output. Start building modern* nuclear fission plants.
  • Medium term: At a certain point, retire the natural gas plants as enough nuclear comes on-line. Sooner the better here, as the goal is carbon reduction.
  • Long term: Nuclear fusion plants (probably at least 20-30 years away from any practical, commercial viability).
Renewables like solar, wind, and hydro power are great. But the first two need a backup for when generation isn't optimal (dark/cloudy/windless days). Thus the natural gas -> fission -> fusion suggestions. Hydro is also great, but only works in specific locations.

* Yes, there is such a thing. Modern fission plants can be built safely. Problems like Chernobyl or Fukushima occur because of ancient, shoddy design (Chernobyl) or really stupid geographic placement (Fukushima). The waste problem can be solved if we get politics and NIMBY stuff out of the equation. There are also fast breeder reactors that can recycle fuel. Getting carbon out of the atmosphere is a much more pressing issue.
Over population is a myth propagated by those who don’t want us or our kids around because we make it too dirty for them while they globe trot around on private jets and yachts.

gkb2016

Reaction score
I don't think it will be for a long time. E-Vans will be going for commercial uses for while. If they provide the low cost maintenance that is touted, they will be kept longer. The vans that do get converted to campers will still be out of my price range for many years.
I think it will be 10-15 years before the prices start getting decent. Maybe sooner on the lower range (range as in available travel distance) vans, as longer range vans come out. If tech improves that could also lower prices on the vans with inferior tech.

peteg59

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of like the look of the Rivian SUV but after Ford and Rivian parted ways, worried that Rivian would fade away into the sunset of EV companies.
Hopefully the new MB partnership will keep Rivian alive for the foreseeable future...

BlueMarkOhio

Reaction score
In 2019 a Prius van with stow seats was introduced in Japan, even the passenger seat stowed so I called the local Toyota dealer and asked when here….they never heard of it but I keep hoping
That is essentially the Sienna Hybrid van. Rumor is that there will be plug-in hybrid Sienna next year.