How soon will electric or hybrid vans/RVs be common?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

big D

Reaction score
A Tesla NCA battery is built to last 300k to 500k miles. The LFP battery (only on the M3 RWD) should get double that.

Battery replacement is 15k to 20k.

It cost 3k to replace our Prius battery at 495k miles (not a typo).
The cost of replacement battery packs is not normally a consideration. They last more than a decade and not only you, but 100% of battery experts cannot predict the cost of any battery pack a decade from now.
Yep, and coal-powered EVs WILL be paying their fair share of road taxes...some day...or at least, we can hope.

This new full scale government build-out of the EV charging network is mostly courtesy of VW. As part of the dieselgate fiasco, one of the settlement terms is that Volkswagen is paying billions for the new EV charging network.

Ironic, isnt it, that selling all those 'dirty' diesel cars is helping to provide an infrastructure (called Electrify America) for dirty coal-burning EVs.

Remember, the EV is not really zero emission.

We didn't actually remove the pollution, we just moved it.
There will be zero coal fired EVs by 2050 as coal is dead soon. There will also be 100's of thousands of battery chargers by the time we need them, mostly solar powered.

GomerPile

Reaction score
There will be zero coal fired EVs by 2050 as coal is dead soon. There will also be 100's of thousands of battery chargers by the time we need them, mostly solar powered.
At present, PV installations are cheaper than new coal plants, it's only a matter of time. Power companies will have to figure out the grid storage thing to completely transition over. I suspect in the coming decades having battery storage and rooftop solar will become the norm for new homes. Small battery storage banks widely distributed can be linked together to make virtual grid storage (Tesla has a pilot in CA for this).

tx2sturgis

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Your crystal ball needs a tune-up, me thinks.

Coal is expected to keep powering America way past 2050. Yes, it is expected to decline somewhat, but we still have a LOT of it and after all, it's American Made Energy, unlike some of our other sources of energy.

India, Russia, and China are large consumers of coal for electricity generation. So even if the USA went to ZERO electricity produced from coal, there will still be large populations burning coal and other hydrocarbons to juice up the EV in the driveway.

Last edited:

Ric G

Reaction score
I just bought a 2022 RAV4 Hybrid and gonna turn it into a mini-camper. Have fashioned a bed in the back, so if the weather is either really cold or hot, I'll be able to run the climate control overnight. I plan to "follow 70", so I'll probably sleep in a tent most of the time, but it's nice to have the backup of AC or heat in the car, if needed. I plan to travel a lot, staying mostly in national forests, BLM, etc. and visit family and friends.

The vehicle 40 mpg, so it's pretty efficient. Look forward to meeting other nomads soon.