How often do you use your bicycle?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you use your bicycle?

• Seldom. < once a month.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AntiGroundhogDay

Reaction score
Whether it is a folding bicycle, an electric bicycle, or a traditional bicycle of any sort, wondering how often people use pedal power (not interested in motorcycles or scooters).

I will be fulltiming in a RAV4 Hybrid soon and space will be at a premium.  I ~think~ I'll spend 50% of my time in big cities going to Museums and seeing friends.  A bicycle may be nice to get around.  The other 50% of the time I plan to be in the wilderness, where again, a bicycle may be nice on some trails or hard pack gravel/dirt.  I'm really not sure if fellow nomads realize a benefit from the various types of bicycles, but it they do, I might bite and put a hitch on the rear of the SUV and like 4 locks. :p  Thanks!

Did not know that.  For a sticks and bricks guy who has never stepped on BLM land, could you clarify what constitutes "wilderness?"  Is it B:M land?  National forest?  Something else?  Like at the RTR, electric, fart wheel bicycles seem to be all the rage.  Thanks.

wilderness is well wilderness it can be BLM, National Forest(NF), National Park(NP), etc, etc. it is usually posted but not always. maps are your friend. BLM, NF, and NP maps show wilderness areas. the RTR is on BLM land but not wilderness. you will get the hang of it. a bicycle comes in real handy I almost bought one last weekend. highdesertranger

I bought a really nice Iron Horse Warrior 3.2 that is 29" Mountain bike with 24 speeds, suspension (and disc brakes) on the front, and back. https://www.shopyourway.com/iron-horse-29-mens-warrior-3-2-mountain-bike/250582607.

It rides real nice, but with my new pace maker from repeated CHF, after riding the bike about 100 miles total, I decided to go with a front hub 500W 36V electric hub wheel, with a 10 AH battery. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ebikeling-...var=442057554146&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

What an impressive complete package for about $700 total, half the cost of a dedicated Ebike, and still only about 50# weight, less than most Ebikes.

I do not use my bike for transportation, I use it for exercise. I have some health issues and swimming is my doctors first choice, the bicycle is second choice. Anyone who has camped with me can tell you I ride the bike in circles. I need to keep all my muscle groups and skeleton moving. The bike really helps, it’s not as low impact as swimming but it is better than hiking.

So there are many uses for bicycles. Riding for health or transportation is great exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here's a fun fact,

a bicycle is the most efficient mode of transportation man has ever used. yep even better then animals. electric bikes don't count.

highdesertranger

AntiGroundhogDay said:
could you clarify what constitutes "wilderness?"  Is it B:M land?  National forest?  Something else?  Like at the RTR, electric, fart wheel bicycles seem to be all the rage.  Thanks.

the wilderness that is referenced as prohibiting bikes is the federally designated wilderness under the wilderness act of 1964. it can basically be any federal land that meets the requirements and has been added to the list. most paper maps and digital maps from those agencies will have them marked. google maps does not consistently mark federal wilderness. there are around 100 million acres of designated wilderness at the moment.

just because a chunk of land feel like the wilderness, does not make it a designated wilderness.

most of the time trails and roads and popular areas that abut or cross into designated wilderness will be marked pretty well. but it is the sportsmans responsibility to know and lack of a sign will not save you from a citation

the area in and around the rtr was not designated wilderness.

not only are bikes prohibited, but basically all mechanized equipment. typically including chainsaws, generators, much of the dredging/mining equipment used by hobby prospectors. in general, only walking/horseback travel and use of hand tools are permitted. but read up to find the exact details in each wilderness area to be safe

since electric bikes were mentioned (and i have one that i love) people may want to note that regardless of power or being legal on the street. at this point both the BLM and National forest rules consider electric bike the same as motor cycles and are restricted to travel only on roads and trails open to cars, atv's or motorcycles. i have not been able to get a clear answer as to weather we need to get stickers or tags like atv's and motorcycles to ride in those ares.

this is a real bummer, and i hope it gets changed soon to allow street legal Ebikes to have access to regular bike trails as well. my rad mini is quieter and slower and has less impact than some of the insane mountainbikers...

My radmini has over 1,000 miles on it and I really like it for exercise without putting to much pressure on my joints. For me I would be concerned about it getting stolen in populated areas and would consider some type of hidden gps locator and id.

I ride my bike all the time. I live and work in the city and parking a pickup truck with a cargo trailer can be difficult. Sometimes I have to drop my tools off at a job then go find parking and ride my bike back.  I also use the bike for running errands and enjoy just riding around exploring different neighborhoods visiting festivals Street parties that sort of thing.

The bicycle has also proven very useful thing broke down on a couple of occasions. The first time I had to ride to the Ford dealership and pick up some hubs for the front axle. And just recently the springs on my trailer broke. I managed to find a nearby trailer dealership that had the parts in stock and rode back with for complete leaf springs + Hardware all bungee straps to the milk crate on my Cargo Carrier