how many miles are to many when buying used ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite

Reaction score
I have been thinking about buying a van to convert I found 2 for 25.000 one is a [font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]2014 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500 Cargo High Roof Extended w/170" WB [/font]with 212.000 miles I like this one because it is a passenger van with windows all around not a fan of diesel but I will be pulling a open back trailer so it may be a good choice>
the other is a gas 2[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]016 Ram ProMaster Cargo Van 3500 High Roof Extended Van 3D this has no windows and may be a better choice to insulate and remodel .[/font]
[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]on the other hand I found a nice short 2006 motorhome with 45.000 miles for just a little less and may even take less ? and just get in it and go ? [/font]

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]any one want to advise me the pros or cons of either choice.[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]

Twenty five thousand for any van with 212K is way too much.  The motor might be in good shape, but the body is probably not in good shape.  You can find a used conversion van for way less you just have to look nationwide.  I think 200k on any van that you are going to call home is way too many miles.  I wouldnt buy any van with more than 120K.  Thats just my opinion of course. :-/

If the motor home checks out,go for it.Much more comfortable than a van.

Thanks for your reply I haven't looked at either van but they both look in perfect condition both forsale at 2 different dealerships I was more concerned with the mechanical condition with that many miles, I know a diesel last longer so if it had 200.000 would that be about the same as a gas with 100.000 miles ?
I am not going to live in it but would like to be able stay in it for long periods of time ?
on the other hand I found a nice short 2006 motorhome with 45.000 miles low miles but more age on the motorhome ? I mat could get this one for 20.000 but that may be to much also ?
interested in any comments ?
thanks

I am in the motorhome camp, ready to go but be sure to check it for leaks.

No to sprinters as repair/maintenance costs are high and limited mechanics.

No to promaster as it is front wheel drive and you will be pulling a trailer. Rear wheel drive is a more robust driveline.

thanks for both replies I think I need to just forget about the vans your advice probably saved me a lot of money and problems.

i think there are way too many variables to consider to just out of hand dismiss a rig because of the number of miles

too much depends on how well the rig was cared for and if big milestone problems have been handled like engines or transmissions

it also depends greatly on the specific make model and year of rig. for example in the small econ car world, i would not consider an old yugo even with a new engine and 25.000 miles. but would snatch up the same vintage metro with 10 times that many miles. same holds true in vans trucks and RV's

engine and transmission combos play a part as well. i wouldnt touch a low mile 6.0 ford powerstroke but i might consider one with a couple hundred thousand miles on is as the big issues with that motor would likely have been delt with. older powerstrokes like the 6.9 and both 7.3 engines are legendary and have cult followings. yet they have been out of production so long you wont find them with less than a 1/4 million miles usually

it also depends on the "type" of miles lots of highway miles are nothing compared to crowded city stop and go with short trips that dont even warm up the engine.

it takes a lot of research into specific rigs to find the ones that out last their warranty and or are worth paying for repairs down the long haul

miles on a motorhome can be deceiving for sure. lots of older or middle aged motorhomes have what appear to be "low" miles. but motorhomes tend to get treated poorly. owners neglect them till they need them for the family trip. then they abuse them on the trips. so be careful thinking you found a gem just because it has low miles

if you are looking at spending a good chunk of change on a rig, more than you are willing to lose if something goes wrong. i would make sure to have a competent mechanic do a detailed inspection of all major systems. if $25 is chump change the risk is less of a hurdle than if you just sold everything you had and are trying to find something to move into and that is all you had

it might not be cheap, but it could save you tons of money and hassle down the road. for example in the world of boats a repurchase inspection called a "survey" on a 30,000 boat can easily cost $1000

if you are knowledgeable and or are willing to take the time to research and learn about possible prospects you can certainly save money up front and headaches down the road by doing it yourself

i personally have 3 rigs at the moment that i can jump in and head down the road with confidence i will get where i am going. all 3 of them have over 200,000 miles

people qualified and willing to work on the Mercedes are few and far between outside of major metropolitan areas.

I would only consider a front wheel drive in a small commuter car and even then I still consider them as disposable cars. use once throw out.

highdesertranger

As a former Mercedes Passbook holder(master mechanic) I can tell you many dealerships seldom carried required special tools in order for the mechanics to do work correctly. Also tolerances were up to ten times closer than other manufactures and most machine shops had a difficult time meeting factory specs. That was years ago when they were still considered quality vehicles. If their expensive maintenance regimen isn't performed as it should be repairs will be expensive and not as long lasting if not replaced with new expensive factory parts. That is the way it used to be, I doubt it has gotten any better. You didn't let us know the manufacturer of the motorhome or the chassis/drivetrain. There are good ones and bad ones of those also!

jwhite said:
Thanks for your reply I haven't looked at either van but they both look in perfect condition both forsale at 2 different  dealerships I was more concerned with the mechanical condition with that many miles, I know a diesel last longer so if it had 200.000 would that be about the same as a gas with 100.000 miles ...
Unless you have proof of ALL recommended maintenance and all service/repairs done,(not just oil changes) do not buy a Sprinter, especially one with over 100,000 miles. It's a great van while it runs, but repairing it costs the earth and good luck finding someone who knows how to work on them.

i've been looking at Chevy G20 or GMC Vandura. those seem to rack up
mucho miles but still going strong...

ll depends on how well engineered the engine was to begin with and how well it has been maintained over its life.  I wouldn't make a decision just on mileage alone. Is the vehicle in question highly rated by several different sources and by actual owners?  Has it been cared for?  Is there a warranty on it?  Will it work for my intended use? etc... This all would help me decide if a vehicle is worth the price being asked for it.

jwhite said:
I have been thinking about buying a van to convert I found 2 for 25.000 one is a [font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]2014 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500 Cargo High Roof Extended w/170" WB [/font]with 212.000 miles 

My ballpark number for mileage on more modern vehicles is 250,000 miles. 
I do the math to see how many miles are left on the selected used vehicle. 
I make an educated guess on how many miles I will drive in a year, I do the math again to see how many years the vehicle will last me and divide that by what I'm spending.
Then I can see what it costs me just to own it...