How many Fulltimers Tow a Boat?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanmarie

Reaction score
If you love the water and love fulltime camping, a van or truck camper may be perfect way to have it all. We even knew one guy with a big SUV who towed his 24 ft Bayliner Express and lived in the boat. That was a while ago. I don't think they make the 24 ft'er anymore. Now, they sell a 26 ft'er.

We have a few pontoon boats that are enclosed that people stay in the campground with and lots of people that houseboat here at Lake Powell but most are partnerships with many partners as they are expensive. A new Ranger Bass boat with the largest Yamaha V-Max is over $120,000 now. If you complete a season working for Aramark you get a houseboat trip paying only insurance and gas. Had a couple of workers here that lived in their boats but usually the heat gets to them a few months into the summer. Traveling between western states with a boat is sort of a pain due to the invasive mussel problems and the required permits and inspections trying to limit their spread.

I see those boat inspection stations all the time. I can't imagine having to stop at them all. Then there is the requirement of a permit to put it in water in whatever state you are in.

we weren't full time but we had a wonderful truck camper and towed a 20' Lund fishing boat with us. tent camped before that til I realized the big flood from the Tstorm we had one day meant I wanted off the ground and enclosed walls around me :)

we went everywhere with that thing. Nice if the boat ramp was graded well and not steep, our big old truck could easily put the boat in the water with the TC on it and off to our site we went...always water front in state parks. We could drive the boat to the site and tie off. OMG such fun times!!!!!!

I love the idea of towing a boat and using it as your home....very smart idea if you are so inclined. In fact an option that we might consider down the road since you mentioned it :) I never thought of using a boat as the living quarters...hmmmm, cool beans.

B and C said:
I see those boat inspection stations all the time.  I can't imagine having to stop at them all.  Then there is the requirement of a permit to put it in water in whatever state you are in.

We towed our old Searay at from Illinois to Wisconsin to Georgia to Florida to Mississippi. Never had to get state permits, only dock fees and register boat in our home state of Illinois. But that was 40 years ago. We could usually leave the truck at the ramp and anchor out overnight. That was then. Don't know about now.

I have taken boats to different states and as long as I have current tags have never had a problem. I have been inspected to ensure I have the correct safety gear and no invasive species.
Now if you want a trailerable boat thats livable on or off the water check out the Magregor 26.

A sailboat! I loved sailing. As we got older and time got more limited, we became stinkpotters, tho. It was just easier and faster. Plus, unless you go for something like a Dana (not exactly readily towable with our truck and way out of our price range) standing headroom was scarce in sailboats back then. If we were going to spend weeks in it, we wanted to be able to stand.

If you are just camping there is a fellow that modified a pontoon boat with a tract to back on a fully self contained tent trailer which kept the weight down so he could tow it and get into shallow canyons here at Lake Powell.

My Texas Grand Folks towed a small aluminum boat with a 7 to 10 hp outboard behind their car.  Grand Dad had a wall tent and a bunch of canvas folding directors chairs, cots,  folding tables, Coleman lanterns and stove along with ice chest, food, cookware, etc. 

He had thought it out pretty well.  The boat sit in the garage ready to go except for a few key things and was covered with a canvas boat cover.   So when he was ready to go he loaded his gas cans for the boat motor, live bait, and  Ice Chest with food.

The trunk of the car was reserved for Grandmother to load whatever she wanted to take.

But a small boat can double as a utility trailer quite well.

its possible to do such things, just look for the smallest liveable boat that you can safely tow. It does not have to be a brand such as Bayliner to be liveable. A sailboat won't work due to the deeper keel.

highdesertranger said:
Jean Marie what's a stinkpotter?  highdesertranger

A motor boat, name derives from the stinky fumes from originally 2 cycle outboards as I grew up to hear. Most that sail on boats use the term.

makenmend said:
I have taken boats to different states and as long as I have current tags have never had a problem. I have been inspected to ensure I have the correct safety gear and no invasive species.
Now if you want a trailerable boat thats livable on or off the water check out the Magregor 26.

I googled the MacGregor 26. Lol, interesting boat, probably something I'd like, it being quirky and all. Love how the sailing purists are all aghast about them.

@maki2 This is a sailboat without a deep keel ^^