How LONG can u live within a city of 16k? Far NW TN Dyersburg

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORANGE

Reaction score
There is 4 hotels, a Cracker Barrel, a Planet Fitness etc. How long can I count on being able to stay moving around like 7 different day and night places like Bob says? I guess Im asking when do I become a known nuisance and the police want me out of Dyersburg? Is that even something that happens?

I have not come across intel on staying in a small city for a month or more.

How long can u live in a small city? How long is pressing your luck?

This for me will be a first time van dwelling, but keeping the apartment I have clear across in eastern TN until I feel I can make the change.

Please give me plans, advice, etc

Thank you

I doubt anyone can give you a hard answer to your question, you may actually find that the community is MORE hospitable to you vandwelling as opposed to a large city. Also, if you drove past those hotels at night and looked for security, or the lack-of, that would tell you how likely you are to being ousted from a hotel parking lot. And for Cracker Barrel, given you're in a smaller city, they likely permit overnighting, but a simple way to check would be to just call. I think you'll be okay.

There is 4 hotels, a Cracker Barrel, a Planet Fitness etc. How long can I count on being able to stay moving around like 7 different day and night places like Bob says?
What about Walmart and Love's Travel Stop? Nearby rest areas? Have you joined Planet Fitness? That would help some if you try staying in their lot. A hospital parking lot maybe. Local shelter? Ask at churches.
What will you be driving?

A lot will depend on how lazy you get in the way you conduct yourself during your stay. Remaining unnoticed is work. Most people are creatures of habit and repetition which is not good when selecting locations. Spend as little time in sleeping locations as possible. Many times if you are employed or dealing with hospitals they will let you use their parking areas to sleep at night but always pull in late and go to sleep and get up early and leave before sunrise if possible. 10:30 PM to 5:30 AM is plenty of sleep if you take an afternoon nap in a day use area. Being a river town it should have some boat launch/fishing area parking lots you may want to check out also a local community college which you might consider visiting to get parking as well, especially if they have a gym or two indoor pool.

Last edited:
I guess Im asking when do I become a known nuisance and the police want me out of Dyersburg? Is that even something that happens?
Somewhere between the minute you drive in... and never. It depends on so many factors.

The only time I stayed somewhere long term, I had a very unpleasant run in with a sheriff early on (physical abuse... he was trying real hard to provoke me), but he eventually felt bad about being a dick, and I wasn't bothered for a couple winter seasons after that... always parking in the same place, doing the same things, etc. I parked on a dead-end road in a luxury development of 5+ acre lots... that wasn't being developed. Beautiful spot.

Age, gender, how you look, how you act, how your rig looks, where you park, are all factors for cops profiling you. Forget about "probable cause"... they'll make something up. If someone complains, you can count on them stoping/harassing you. The good news is that if you make a favorable impression on them and you have a clean record, then you should be fine forever, so long as you aren't parking in places where it's technically illegal, or bothering people.

Probably best to get psyched up for *when* the cops stop you, that you'll be super nice and mellow and have your ducks in a row.

Sorry I hadn't replied, I thought I clicked notifications to come to email.

This is good info. Duh on me, there is a Love's, and a hospital. And likely more places.

Unchangeable habit is I cant stay awake after 9. I have tried for years and always snap back to 9-4. So that is something Im not sure how to consider. Maybe I can only vanlife in fall/winter months when it gets dark early?

I live on my sofa at home cuz Im almost like a shut-in. So I will find the vans comfy bed/sofa setup as what I am used to anyways and how I spend majority hours in stick and bricks, laying or leaning or slumping. I wont be milling about outside my van.

And there is a community college! And I will get my black membership card b4 I'd take off.

Well that is good news for me as far as police. Clean record. Mature woman trustworthy vibe. So even though the police will over time see me here and there all different places, that wont mean I have only 1 month but can stay in a smaller city over longer time?

Boondocking is beautiful and in nature. But I am never going to hike anywhere, or explore. And if I ever had a problem I couldnt walk anywhere to get help, Id be stuck. So I want to cut my teeth on smaller city living and see if I can do that. If I cant do this, then the near future I will need public housing or section 8. Which isnt an awful proposition, yet I do want to see if I CAN live this way finally!!

I have a mercury villager minivan 2002. Gold, some dents. As soon as I get some confidence from learning from others in this thread, I will be outfitting my van on the cheap. I have quite a few things already stored up in my apartment ready to go cooking/potty/safety. I will use the library to charge my tablet/ flip phone. Otherwise I do look forward to not having the use of my tablet all the time. However did people live without screens? I'd like to find out!

I can save money, I know it, because I will cook everything I eat. I wont need refrigeration, as I will have to move twice everyday from daytime spot to sleep spot, and places to buy food are always nearby, dont need lots of water storeage, I can see lots of space inside my van without water and fridge taking up space. So it will look simple and clean which is appealing!

Gotta cut it short now as Im falling asleep. 9 30 now!

Looking at the map:
  • There is a state park (Reelfoot Lake) and 3 wildlife refugees within 20 miles or so. Could be some camping/overnight parking.
  • Lowe's Travel Stop in the town directly.
  • County Fairgrounds few miles east.
  • Find a church you like, ask the pastor for help: a farmer with big-enough parking area.
  • Mid-south Dragway 10 miles west could be a place to park too.
  • Find a car mechanic with a lot, and ask for permission to park overnight: coming late, leaving early.
  • Get industrial-strength ear plugs or ear muffs in Home Depot.
Have an late-afternoon nap on any grocery/MacDonalds parking lot, then reposition your car to one of sleep-places at 11pm (park without exiting the car) and leave for nearest breakfast place at 5 am. Or stay at groceries if nobody minds.
You will learn to park at places with other cars/vans, where there are several businesses. Even in apartment complexes. After you did research viewing google maps and street view, walk around for few hours, to get the "feel" for the place.

It's a small town. You will be noticed. Make that a good thing. Don't pack your vehicle so it shows through the windows. Don't tie stuff to the outside. Don't spread out to the area outside your vehicle so it looks like you are moving in. The suggestion to find a church is excellent in that region.

I lived in Nashville for many years and traveled most of the state for work.

Excellent tips for me wanderlust! I did look into 2 of the wildlife areas but they are day use only. I will look into everything you listed. I do have biker earplugs so good to go. So I really really have to pull in to a sleep spot that late? That is gonna be my biggest habit change problem. And hey, I didnt think about google map walk around. That I can do. And now because of this thread I have a bunch of places to move around between!

shadowmoss, I will be all in the van. No spreading out. Only time Id come out is at a park or whatnot with my folding camp chair I just got from Tractor Supply : )

Holy Hills Baptist Church is the impetus for me going to Dyersburg! First see there if I CAN vanlife, which I will learn after a month or two while also attending church, if not, do I then want to apply in Dyersburg for public housing and live there, or from my apt across state I can regroup with having successful van dwelling experience, then where do I want to go? Out west with all y'all? Or will I await public housing as a home base in Dyersburg and be a parttime van dweller? So exploring options. 1 year 9 months for widows social security where my options increase.

Who knows, maybe it will become super simple after attending church that I will have a solid group of folks I can park in this or that driveway to sleep. Cuz if I cannot stay up until late, I am sunk. I can nap for HOURS at times in the day really wiped out, yet I can only prolong bedtime an hour or two. And I will snap right back to my bodys time. That 9 o'clock is entrenched I tell ya.

I wouldn’t count on being able to overnight in hospital parking lots, which are private property and will tell you that.

Especially if you rotate around to them, security will get to know your vehicle.

And knock on your window to tell you to leave.

Ask me how I know this. :rolleyes:

Holy Hills Baptist Church is the impetus for me going to Dyersburg!

maybe ... I will have a solid group of folks I can park in this or that driveway to sleep.
I looked at the map (using satellite view, to see the parking lots). If they let you park on the back parking lot, coming 9pm, leaving 5 am, you are fine. If they will be extra nice, thy can give you keys to use the bathroom, but I would not ask for it until you are better known to them.

Another tip: Ripley (20 miles south) has 24 hr self-storage. 5x10 climate controlled unit is $70/m. You will have restroom when you wake up and likely can sleep all night (again, arriving late and leaving early) and safely store your stuff. Worth a try. If not, you lost $70.

Friendly farmer from your church will be cheaper and more complaint-proof, but try self-storage until then.