How does dating work in the nomad World?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome Post Abnorm!

Cheers!

Watching [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Paulettes video now.[/font]

Thank-You Rose......To Better Days and more CampFires

JDub.....Hope YOU get on-the-road

Pat....I bet you thought Paulette was a Figment ...My Invisible Wife...I keep her tied up in the van with YARN ! (Hope your leg is better...)

Come-on......Tell YOUR story Camilla !

Well I still haven't seen her, LOLOL

The leg is better, I'm slowing making my way back home.

Sofi- it’s probably just my corrupt mind. I’d like to be a wordsmith but it’s Easier said than done. But your phrase “screw the dating“ - maybe you could’ve chosen a better way to say that. Yes I know it’s my mind.

JDub said:
It's in SW Bama, PM me for the name if you'd like. Our taxes are regressive unfortunately...

https://www.al.com/news/2021/03/alabama-doesnt-have-a-gambling-problem-its-worse-than-that.html

Cost of living is low outside of town - due to our better than average school district in town, it's surprisingly expensive - ~ 9.5% sales tax for instance. Housing is the problem. While property taxes are fairly low (I pay $900 on a 2100 sq ft) and cease when you reach 65 for your homestead, S&Bs are very expensive for such a small town and not much on the market. There are some apartment complexes here but most are aimed at the Section 8 crowd. Regular apt's when available run ~ 600 bucks a month not including utes.

As Crofter noted above, no van parking - they've made sure folks can't even live in a TT parked in someone's drive or backyard - all RV's must have a separate storage building built for it if it's to be parked at a home. To be lived in, a shed or outbuilding must have city water, sewer, and electric (if they catch you). Don't get the idea it's a rotten place to live, Physically it's a very nice little town on some very scenic riverfront, it's just very isolated, boring (lots of drug use among the young w nothing to do), clannish, and not friendly to non S&B living outside of the designated camping facilities.

Cheers!
Thank you JDub,

I'm looking for a simple homebase (or two) down south.
My main criteria is low crime, no flood zone, and low taxes.
I read the article and some more of the same AL reporter, and it doesn't look too hopeful.
I got myself a piece in N. Arkansas a couple of months ago, and maybe one more someplace else - south TX or AZ? Still looking.
Unrestricted land is hard to find but it still there, somewhere...

There's lots of really nice country land in AL with low taxes. I travel the state often and see some real nice deals.

Deborah wrote:

I had to think about this one. If you are building your life on the road then I suggest you start a business, develop a routine, go about your business. Hopefully your business puts you in contact with people which is where friends are found.

I couldn't agree more.   I know a lot of people are put off by this as they don't know anything about business, fear what they don't know, would worry about Tax reporting and liabilities they may face in
operating a small business.  But it doesn't have to be so foreboding.  There are lots of small businesses a person can pursue.  Even shopping flea markets & yard sales to resale the stuff on Craigs, ebay, or Facebook could do it for you.  You'd have to keep some simple records, receipts for gasoline used in your business, and learn to use simple accounting software like "quick books". (or other freeware versions) 

But you can meet loads of people in this way.   And believe me I've done plenty of it in the past. (it's why I'm wanting to emphasize what Deborah is speaking to)  

If you want results you will have to work some, and a small business is a rewarding path to a number of desirable outcomes.

There is free help nationwide from the SCORE organization.  Via phone, email, chat, etc and their website is Gold.  Small Business is their specialty.  They are 100% free operated by volunteers.  Their website is like a free school if you don't know anything about business. 

In the Library look at the "Narrow By" search and start with "Start up" in the drop down.

Remember, a lot of people socialize and meet others thru work or business as it makes it easier to meet others and lots of them.

SCORE
https://www.score.org/
https://www.score.org/SCORE Library/Narrow By/Business Stage-Start Up/

eDJ_ said:
Getting into relationships with other Nomads which would require one selling their rig and merging has the nagging question of what if you break up?  What then?   One of the two won't have their own rig to go on in.  In my own view Nomads need their own rigs, their own money, and space.  

That may be a good thing, I think the reason relationships in the S&B world are so short lived is because it's so easy to just leave, when facing issues our grandparents would have just worked through people these days will just give up thinking "something better is a right swipe away".  

so while I agree a couple should take their time in merging rigs I think it can make a relationship stronger once they do. Having talked to several couples in the life who seem happy together they all say there was a point where they wanted to break up but are glad they did not, one was saving her money for a van on her SquareCash card and by the time she saved up enough she decided she did not want to break up(though she still has that money on a card she does not use lol), but if she had her own van she would have broken up before their love cemented, now they are one of those couples that finish each others sentences. 

[img=500x400]http://www.storytrender.com/wp-cont..._TRAVELLING_VAN_COUPLE_12-1024x1024.jpg[/img]

Commitment in S&B life is already in short supply. Living out of a transient rolling domicile without any attachment to a particular area or region or fixed social group is asking a lot from folks who are probably already stretched emotionally, physically, and financially - a tough thing to stick with...

JMHO

...the idea of moving into a van with another person hahahahaha HECK NO! I don't see that as realistic for the majority of people. Either we push our minivans together and tie a tarp between em and build a cool fort in the desert OR we talk about getting a RV with a tow behind if it's a serious serious relationship after at least a year of testing and developing the relationship.

But for me I think I evenaully will go back to sticks and bricks and just keep camping during the winters and twhenever I feel like an adventure but it be nice to have a home base much more so a nessacity if I were in a relationship.

Unless they were more addicted to the life on wheels than I was... then maybe I'd have a different viewpoint.

Don't know...don't wanna know.

I quit 'dating' a long time ago. Quit 'seeking', too, although the fire still burns.
Now, my intention is to exhibit all it is I would have in another...in other words, be the change I want to see.

Attraction rather than promotion seems to get slower, fewer, yet more sustainable, and joyful, results.

Of course, I'm sitting out here alone in the desert contemplating what physical attributes should the rescue dog I'm gonna adopt have cuz I'm tired of washing dishes by myself!
Yes, let the dog do the dishes before you wash them. Less to clean after the dog is done. That's teamwork.

Towns like yours usually turn into hunting/camping/hiking/climbing resort towns hence there being more women than men, as 80% of the local jobs being hospitality jobs which mostly hire women, sounds like your town did not have beautiful scenery, game to hunt or local hiking trails to fall back on.
Not to mention that the older you get, the more it is true that women alive simply outnumber men alive.

One should not attempt to push a rope, you look silly and the rope wins.

Relationships should develop, not be hunted down like a goal in a computer game, but allowed to pop up like a weed between the cracks... all of a sudden, it is just there while walking down the way.

Also.... and face it.. nomads are not average humans... I think most of us have rejected the rat-race existence, deciding that that world is no longer for us.... although broaching that world will be required for many to make an income.... but.. we ain't normal... I know I am not... I am a square peg in a round hole world.....

How well do you know yourself? I ask, rhetorically, because as an official old fart, I have come to think that most of us have issues, but most of us have also not really dug in and figured them out. As such we tend to present to others a fabricated persona we live within to exist.. to get by... for most it is unintentional.. to them it is who they are... but for many it is a skin they wear....

And so... there (you) we are .. "looking for a mate"... "someone to complete you"... the best way to have a great relationship is to back off your sense of self and really evaluate who you are, what makes you tick, what *issues* do you have ( and yes, you probably do have some) ... being honest with yourself will allow you to be honest with any potential partner... When you smother your real self with a skin you think the world wants to see, the partner ou want to attract will fall for a skin, a facade, not who you really are... but then, as mentioned, do you know who you really are?

It's tough sledding out there!

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] I started thinking of how hard dating is now. in doing research I know there are nomad couples but most of them that I have met [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]were couples before becoming nomads,[/font] (in my 20's I used to work in a bar outside of town on the highway that many drifters/travelers would stop in) and I know there is a fast growing population of solo female nomads(many of them are telecommuters also) but what happens when you link up?, not cost effective to have 2 vans do they sell both vans for a bigger more decked out van? also what about dating non dwellers? many dating sites ask if your willing to relocate, how many are willing to move to [/font][/size][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]ALL OF AMERICA[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] for love?[/font]

For the most part I don't like being around people, yes I like large crowd's for a night or two, then I'm good for months the exception being romantic
involvement I've had "joined at the hip" relationships that lasted for years without getting old to me, and though I'm okay on my own it would be nice to find a partner to roam the country with.

I asked this question the other night in a Vandweller facebook group I joined and a couple video chatted with me giving their perspective, they both said being a telecommuter and having a steady income I'd do better in the nomad world than the S&B world as standards of what makes a good partner are different, and just keep an eye out for meetup's and caravans close to where I am, that's how they met 3 years ago.

But there was also a lot of sketchy advice, like finding out where shelters and tent cities are in different cities(to me that sounds too much like taking advantage of someone's misfortune)

But I ask, how do your guys seek romance?
Somewhat related...
Around three years ago, after a decade of rolling, we wanted to settle in one area.
Just like we crafting our RequirementsStatement for our ExpeditionVehicle build in 2003, we scribbled our latest goals on a brown paper grocery bag.
As we wrote, we quickly realized the perfect place to meet our potential new chums... a farmer market.
Among our goals, we wanted a small cohesive community of travelers.
We wanted to be around food, we wanted to pot-latch, we wanted campfires and dancing.
After introductions, we were adopted by a small organic teaching farm near the outskirts of Eugene, Oregon.
That was three years ago.
We share the acreage with a couple-three dozen other workkampers in RecreateVehicles and various versions of home-built HouseTrucks.
If I wanted to expand my relationship(s), I think I would start by realizing everything I can offer to invest in a new partner(s).
PS:
And we wanted mules for riding and packing.
Our farm family came with four mules...