How does dating work in the nomad World?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChileSauceCritic

Reaction score
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] I started thinking of how hard dating is now. in doing research I know there are nomad couples but most of them that I have met [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]were couples before becoming nomads,[/font] (in my 20's I used to work in a bar outside of town on the highway that many drifters/travelers would stop in)  and I know there is a fast growing population of solo female nomads(many of them are telecommuters also) but what happens when you link up?, not cost effective to have 2 vans do they sell both vans for a bigger more decked out van? also what about dating non dwellers? many dating sites ask if your willing to relocate, how many are willing to move to [/font][/size][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]ALL OF AMERICA[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] for love?[/font]

For the most part I don't like being around people, yes I like large crowd's for a night or two, then I'm good for months the exception being romantic involvement I've had "joined at the hip" relationships that lasted for years without getting old to me, and though I'm okay on my own it would be nice to find a partner to roam the country with. 

I asked this question the other night in a Vandweller facebook group I joined and a couple video chatted with me giving their perspective, they both said being a telecommuter and having a steady income I'd do better in the nomad world than the S&B world as standards of what makes a good partner are different, and just keep an eye out for meetup's and caravans close to where I am, that's how they met 3 years ago. 

But there was also a lot of sketchy advice, like finding out where shelters and tent cities are in different cities(to me that sounds too much like taking advantage of someone's misfortune)  

But I ask, how do your guys seek romance?

Love is a many splendored thing
It's the April rose that only grows in the early Spring

ChileSauceCritic said:
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] I started thinking of how hard dating is now. in doing research I know there are nomad couples but most of them that I have met [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]were couples before becoming nomads,[/font] (in my 20's I used to work in a bar outside of town on the highway that many drifters/travelers would stop in)  and I know there is a fast growing population of solo female nomads(many of them are telecommuters also) but what happens when you link up?, not cost effective to have 2 vans do they sell both vans for a bigger more decked out van? also what about dating non dwellers? many dating sites ask if your willing to relocate, how many are willing to move to [/font][/size][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]ALL OF AMERICA[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] for love?[/font]

For the most part I don't like being around people, yes I like large crowd's for a night or two, then I'm good for months the exception being romantic involvement I've had "joined at the hip" relationships that lasted for years without getting old to me, and though I'm okay on my own it would be nice to find a partner to roam the country with. 

I asked this question the other night in a Vandweller facebook group I joined and a couple video chatted with me giving their perspective, they both said being a telecommuter and having a steady income I'd do better in the nomad world than the S&B world as standards of what makes a good partner are different, and just keep an eye out for meetup's and caravans close to where I am, that's how they met 3 years ago. 

But there was also a lot of sketchy advice, like finding out where shelters and tent cities are in different cities(to me that sounds too much like taking advantage of someone's misfortune)  

But I ask, how do your guys seek romance?

Same way I always have - meet people. Be genuinely friendly to everyone, not just those whose pants you want to get into. Be interesting, and be interested in something besides yourself. Extra points if you are willing to do things for other people.

jimindenver said:
Hi, I'm Jim

You're cute

Have you showered lately?

What day do you expect to shower?

How about we get together that day?

Hahahaha. You kill me Jim.

I would tell you that it will all depend on your personal and social skills to connect with others.  Next to that being in shape, clean, well groomed, and dressed decent will be determining factors.  This is what others will pick up on first.  Next, you ability with conversation & small talk.  As one girl I know says, "looking hot will get you noticed but after a couple of minutes you better have some things to talk about". 

Beyond that are you looking for a relationship or to hook up?  There are plenty of sites for personals that you can list yourself in or view the profiles of others.  Belonging to syndicated Gym's may offer
the option of meeting up with someone there as just another benefit of belonging to the Gym.

But anyone who is adept to dating should not have any problems.  You may have to be more outgoing and carefree when you flirt.  And do a lot of flirting.  Some people may not be too trusting of those living the Nomad lifestyle while others may find them fascinating.  Especially if hooking up and moving on, which could be a dream for some young single people.

Getting into relationships with other Nomads which would require one selling their rig and merging has the nagging question of what if you break up?  What then?   One of the two won't have their own rig to go on in.  In my own view Nomads need their own rigs, their own money, and space.  This thread in Matters of the Heart was created to sound out the feelings people have about being single and on the road.

Choosing to be single and on the road

jimindenver said:
Hi, I'm Jim

You're cute

Have you showered lately?

What day do you expect to shower?

How about we get together that day?

This has to be the best post yet.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

eDJ_ said:
Getting into relationships with other Nomads which would require one selling their rig and merging has the nagging question of what if you break up?  What then?   One of the two won't have their own rig to go on in.  In my own view Nomads need their own rigs, their own money, and space.

Yes, totally. Don't even consider sharing a rig until you've been together several decades. Even then, I've known long-married nomad couples who ended up splitting.

Quit looking and let them find you is the least stressful method.

Of course if you are doing stealth or isolated camping that method is not going to work all that effectively.

eDJ_ said:
I would tell you that it will all depend on your personal and social skills to connect with others.  Next to that being in shape, clean, well groomed, and dressed decent will be determining factors.  This is what others will pick up on first.  Next, you ability with conversation & small talk.  As one girl I know says, "looking hot will get you noticed but after a couple of minutes you better have some things to talk about". 

Beyond that are you looking for a relationship or to hook up?  There are plenty of sites for personals that you can list yourself in or view the profiles of others.  Belonging to syndicated Gym's may offer
the option of meeting up with someone there as just another benefit of belonging to the Gym.

But anyone who is adept to dating should not have any problems.  You may have to be more outgoing and carefree when you flirt.  And do a lot of flirting.  Some people may not be too trusting of those living the Nomad lifestyle while others may find them fascinating.  Especially if hooking up and moving on, which could be a dream for some young single people.

Getting into relationships with other Nomads which would require one selling their rig and merging has the nagging question of what if you break up?  What then?   One of the two won't have their own rig to go on in.  In my own view Nomads need their own rigs, their own money, and space.  This thread in Matters of the Heart was created to sound out the feelings people have about being single and on the road.

Choosing to be single and on the road

Funny as I view those things as a given, and honestly romance was the last thing I thought about in my research of VanDwelling (which surprised me as I'm a hopeless romantic) But having talked to people who are full time nomads I feel better about it, as from what many guys have told me be nice, as clean as you can be have a compatible personality and your good, and from what I'm hearing women in the vandwelling life don't have as long a checklist(meaning the materialistic stuff) as women in the s&b life.

Now most of the full time nomad couples I've met tended to fall into 3 types "Young couple in a ratty van"  "Homeless couple in a van"  "well to do older retired couple in an RV that looks like Jimmy Buffets tour bus"

Keep in mind this was over 20 years ago and I know the number of nomads that fall between those extremes have grown tremendously, and it's possible that I have met others that I simply did not know they were nomads and mistook them for just being on vacation lol. 

Though I would not be in a rush to consolidate(I would wait a minimum of 6 months) I would love to eventually join forces with someone in the same rig which Is why I'd mod it to comfortably fit me another person and my dog lol.
dl5zpyw5k3jeb.cloudfront.net.jpg

Attachments

• dl5zpyw5k3jeb.cloudfront.net.jpg
    dl5zpyw5k3jeb.cloudfront.net.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
Yep he is a 3 year old bull terrier / basenji mix. and yes I think he was responsible for the last 2 girls I dated lol  and my ex GF was still bringing him treat's and toys a few months after we broke up.

I would wager to say that that it probably is a lot like online dating. A lot more men looking to date than women.

Be yourself, be kind and respectful. If she's interested she will let you know.

Its really simple....Go for a walk, say hello, invite people into your camp for a campfire. It starts with just a very small group and as people see others joining they are more likely to do the same. Single women feel more comfortable in a small group I think. And, there is the friendship / community aspect of meeting likeminded people and developing friendships.
Good luck!
God Bless

I'm gonna try that, I just got a camper trailer this morning for almost nothin, it's structurally in good shape and the inside is cleaning up better that I thought it would though I will have to paint the outside, I have a crap ton of "gun metal Grey"  paint left over from painting my walls last year, and surprisingly most of the stuff inside works the heater, stove and all but one outlet. But I'm not going to put any money into it since it's just a test home to see if the life is for me before I sell my house and buy a decked out van, plus I already own a lot of camping equipment and other stuff to make it more home like.  I think I got it for a 3 digit price for 3 reasons
1. the property was reverse mortgaged so the son had a short time to clear everything out.
2. they place was way off the beaten path
3. I suspect the son is a victim of our current opioid crisis.
And I joined a few Vandweller groups on facebook and meetup and it seems there are small gatherings and meetup several times a year and from photo's I see they seem female heavy, the only downside I see is the ones that seem to be my type AND age range seem to be mostly paired up(I have a weakness for the neo hippy type) the ones that are my type seem to young, and the ones in my age group(40-55) seem mostly the former soccermom in the fancy RV type (Fastest growing group in this lifestyle it seems). But I plan on going to as many gatherings and meetups  as I can in the next year to learn as much as I can.
342a165ccde94dc6dca0e312752043d4jgjhggjhh.jpg

Attachments

• 342a165ccde94dc6dca0e312752043d4jgjhggjhh.jpg
    342a165ccde94dc6dca0e312752043d4jgjhggjhh.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 66
There is a market for restored travel trailers. You should do a little research. You may find a group of people looking for something like you have.

You might want to keep that little gem as original as possible. Like any old or antique or vintage the price will drop if that gray paint goes on. Do yourself a favor and paint it the original colors.

Try to refrain from changing and painting the inside also. Structural problems fix.

A rolling "Love Shack" ala the B52's !

Cammalu said:
You might want to keep that little gem as original as possible. Like any old or antique or vintage the price will drop if that gray paint goes on. Do yourself a favor and paint it the original colors.

Try to refrain from changing and painting the inside also. Structural problems fix.

To late I already started not long after I got it home, I can paint it back to the original pattern when I sell it, but as it was it gave off a vibe like this guys the proud owner lol not the image I want to give off.  I may paint a jolly roger on the side but with wrenches instead of bones. 
New_Zealand_Walk_Shorts_%26_Socks_in_Cream_and_Green.jpg