How do you handle storms

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony's Dream

Reaction score
Recently there was a post about a tornado that went through Texas and flipped an RV while it's owner took shelter in WalMart. As I storm chaser, I have seen what kind of damage a thunder storm can do. When you are out there and dangerous storm is approaching, what do you do? Do you hunker down and weather it out? Do you leave your rig and seek shelter while your rig takes the brunt of the storm? Do you plot an escape route and attempt to run from it to save your rig and yourself?

Mainly I stay where severe weather is survivable after living in a mobile home a few years in Arkansas. Sun and heat are the biggest threats and easily avoidable in the southwest where I usually stay. Bottom line is no material thing is worth your life, keep things simple and work to save enough of an emergency to replace what you need to survive. Find safe shelter if caught in severe weather.

I have read that hurricanes usually move from East to West, and then curve toward the north, due to the trade winds. Tornadoes, on the other hand, tend to move from the southwest or west to the east, as they're mostly controlled by the Jetstream.

On one trip through the Midwest, a man on the radio was giving tornado warnings, and he said the same thing. He was telling drivers on the road if they saw one, to turn at a right angle from the direction the tornado was moving, which would usually mean toward the north or northeast, or toward the south or southeast. He said not to dawdle. I translated that to "haul a$$".

I watch the weather and use a weather app that pinpoints my exact location relative to storm movement.

We drove West once to avoid a hurricane, sat out the remnants of another on high ground at a rest stop in 2021.

Have a go-bag ready if I need to evacuate.

If I was on the road, I’d try to move out of the way. If I’m parked up somewhere I’d go to bed fully clothed. In case I had to make a mad dash somewhere.

easy for us. have wheels move your azz out of an impending storm due to what info I hear online. Yes I track weather in my any current location....why wouldn't I? lol pedal to the medal based on info and 'feeling' about what is coming we are told...so...yea no brainer in a way for us. If one is parked in any fast storm area like tornado heavy it can be iffy on 'will one get ya' but damn, being mobile I am not in those locations truly, I seek easy and better situations thru seasons cause on wheels and our lives, we can do just that. that won't apply to all obvy.

but on wheels, info and choices, we all make them, make your best to suit you as you feel. :)

Once in a while, the jetstream hits a Colorado mountain peak and dips straight down into Boulder, always from the West. I made the mistake of facing my schoolie directly into the wind (due West). I say that was a mistake because there was enough sand in the wind that it sandblasted my windshield! *Dang* Seeing though the glass after that wasn't too bad in the day, but caused blur and glaring at night that made it hard to drive safely. So my advice is to face your vehicle directly away from the wind, not into it, because a sandblasted rear window will not be much of a problem.

I had told my parents about the wind being over 200 mph, and my father admitted he didn't believe me. So I didn't tell my family when it happened again when there was a trailer part straight to the west of us. The sheriff had evacuated everyone from the park before the wind began blowing the guts of the smashed trailers our way. The park was destroyed, and I felt like we were with Dorthy in a "Wizard of Oz" as furniture (and everything else) came sailing by us as we watched out the side windows. Even a complete RV bathtub sailed right by our door! A couple of days later, I got a letter from my family in Texas that my father had heard in the Paul Harvey News Hour over his car radio while driving to work, that winds of 235 mph had sailed through Boulder. IT TOOK A NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT FROM PAUL HARVEY FOR MY OWN FATHER TO BELIEVE ME! *dang*

They don't announce wind speed from Boulder anymore as the local government concluded it was hurting tourism, new business growth, and home construction. But it only happens once every few years. Another time when it happened I was walking down the street when someone else on the sidewalk yelled "Holy Cow!" I looked up to see what it was about, just in time to see the first wave of this wind coming over the top of Green Mountain from the far side. Very impressive, much like ominous dust storm pictures you sometimes see online. I was most impressed by how fast it was rolling down the mountainside toward us! (200+ mph is pretty fast.)

A funny part: Naturally, we had to let our dog out to pee. But she kept getting blown over and rolled over and over. Then she'd stand up, only to get blown over and rolled again! Ha hahaha! I'm not sure she ever managed to pee.

Last edited:
Here in West Central Louisiana, I caught just a bit of the recent Texas storms. If my truck was running, these storms were ones I would have run from - to the North and then West. But I haven't yet accomplished the mechanical work. I did cover my solar panels with plywood to protect them from hail. I think that once my truck is ready to leave home, I'll get some children's pool float type air mattresses to bungee onto the solar panels. I need to get my truck ready to roll for the fall hurricane season, so I can flee.

@Thomas, I read solar panels are made with hail in mind. You might check with your solar-panel maker for the maximum size hail they are intended to withstand. Then check the statistical likelihood of larger stones happening where you are. Protecting your panels might not be necessary, I've left my four panels flat to the sky all the time (as you can see to the left) 3 1/2 years now, and never had a problem (although I don't think stones here have exceeded quarter-sized during that time).

Cosmick, I have lived in Boulder coming up on 40 years, we have never had what is called "Chinook" winds that high. We do have pretty consistent winds near 100mph quite often, in 1981 they hit over 130. This last January we had 110mph winds that helped fuel the fire that burnt through 2 towns near by. Retired NOAA employee, pretty sure on the data.

I've been through a couple storms in my van. Once or twice I moved the van out of a flood plain. Real fun.
Not long ago I got a motel room because there was a sudden cold snap and snow storm.
I maybe could have hacked it. But when temps get in the teens you can accidentally not wake up.
The cold snap killed all my plants though.
Seen a couple tornadoes when I was growing up in the gulf coast.
Once we had to kind of outrun one when we were coming across the Pontchartrain bridge.
If I was at a campground and there was a twister I'd head to the bathhouse. Those are usually cinderblocks.

Being from Nebraska, I have chased nearly 50 tornadoes .......everything from an F0 to a F5. Most tornadoes only stay on the ground 4-6 minutes, some like the one that went through Kentucky stay on the ground for many miles. In fact, 10 years ago the tornado would have already formed, touched down, and roped out before you would hear the tornado warning on the news......so please pay attention to the watches. They are getting much better at notifying the public. Most of the damage is caused by hail, lightning, and strong wind-blown debris. I would choose to move out of the path. BelginPup was right.....most storms travel from the south west to the north east but while zigzagging it will sometimes travel east, so the best escape route is trailing north west if time allows. If you are not familiar with the area, stay on hard top roads.

Moore OK has had 5 F5 Tornados in the last 20 years. Its the Tornado capital of the US.

In SW Bama, I've watched a 30" diameter Oak tree in my backyard snap in front of my eyes due to straightline winds. When the sky starts looking like this, it's time for Sam and I to head to the basement...

IMGP0126.JPG

a)
Although we sleep 'in the raw', we certainly see the value of an occasional fireman-nap.
b)
Eugene, Oregon.
A couple-three springs ago, a whirlwind visited the local junior college.
As terrorfied students and staff watched the horrific carnage unfold before their stunned eyes huddled behind the safety of yuge plate-glass picture-windows, the vicious event passed in only a half agonizing hour or so, leaving behind the traumatized victims to sort life-paralyzing memories and feelings.
We can only wish them 'Godspeed!' on that perilous journey.

Cosmick, I have lived in Boulder coming up on 40 years, we have never had what is called "Chinook" winds that high. We do have pretty consistent winds near 100mph quite often, in 1981 they hit over 130. This last January we had 110mph winds that helped fuel the fire that burnt through 2 towns near by. Retired NOAA employee, pretty sure on the data.

OOPS. Couldn't get a keyboard on my cell phone, so now on my desktop to try again:

I assume you are right, wntrhwk, you'd know. The date of my experience described above was about 1972, with my bus parked on Yarmouth street. I see from Google Earth that Yarmouth is a really different place now. Sorry for the 100 mph mistake. Must have been 135 like you say. (I was wondering today why more houses didn't blow away.)

I worked for NOAA too! (Though very briefly.) I soldered together a board on contract, that rotated electronically through 60 data channels. It was used with a bunch of sensors in a glider (or drone?) that was flown through that little cloud that sometimes sits stationary above Green Mountain. It was radioing back data on how clouds form and dissipate, (since one end of that cloud is always forming, and the other side is always dissipating.

Last edited:
Yes, the Rocky Mountain Front Range (the eastern side) regularly (once or twice a year) is visited with 100+ mph straightline winds.
If you have a choice (often you won't) the idea of facing a vehicle away from the wind in a sandstorm is a good idea. The rear window is not as critical and you present a smaller profile. Wind blows over 18-wheel trucks on our highways.
Safe journeys!