How do you do?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a Grand Caravan but 1500 miles From Olympia WA to Taos 300 pounds over GVWR... My overall average according to the car was 22.2.... Cost me about $300 in fuel.

Nomads don’t live at campgrounds. That’s for “campers.”
I kinda think that you believe as I do that the traditional (common, age old, pre-utoobe) definition of the word "Nomad" was incorrectly used in a video made by some popular utoober and now anybody that has wheels under whatever they sleep in is suddenly a nomad. I travel, full time in my Caravan, and do not consider myself to be a nomad.

I just made a round trip from Nebraska to Kentucky last week, about 2400 miles in all. All the places I visited were not very crowded. So there can be a plus to high gas prices. :giggle: The gas prices ranged from 3.99 to 4.69 and I found two gas stations that were out of regular gas. I'm lucky that my van averaged 28 MPG. I'm not rich, but I did put away a nice travel fund for my retirement. I'm planning a trip to Oregon next month, about 4300 miles, so I do hope the prices come down some.

I just made a round trip from Nebraska to Kentucky last week, about 2400 miles in all. All the places I visited were not very crowded. So there can be a plus to high gas prices. :giggle: The gas prices ranged from 3.99 to 4.69 and I found two gas stations that were out of regular gas. I'm lucky that my van averaged 28 MPG. I'm not rich, but I did put away a nice travel fund for my retirement. I'm planning a trip to Oregon next month, about 4300 miles, so I do hope the prices come down some.
Tony, I'm in Portland, and gas prices are over $5.00/gallon right now. That's regular gas. Diesel is worse.

If you have a home other than your vehicle, you are not a nomad.... if you have a real home base and only come out on the road in season, you are not a nomad... you choose to live like one when you feel like it..

Today a popular YTer put put a vid.. had awesome footage of the eclipse... had a shot of his girlfriends ass for the thumbnail... If you make a ton of money pretending to be a nomad... well.. yeah...

Nomads don’t live at campgrounds. That’s for “campers.”

Definition of nomad

1: a member of a people who have no fixed residence but move from place to place usually seasonally and within a well-defined territory
2: an individual who roams about

It would be possible to be a nomad and stay at campgrounds, but most people at campgrounds have a fixed residence that would disqualify them from nomad status... IMO.

I hate to disagree, but nomads DO stay at campgrounds. They provide a home-away-from-home, and I enjoy the luxury when I am able.

Hi .. my name is Jason... and.. I'm a Nomad.. I also plug in when the situation is right.. like this week for the Blues festival.. but since being on the road and this being my one and only home, I have spent 90% of the last 4 months booning or at the SLTVA..

It’s looking more and more like Labrador is going to be the destination. The hesitation is drive first to Tuktoyaktuk and then to Happy Valley-Goose? Or first to HVG and then to Tuk? Labrador is a bit closer. A bit easier. Earlier satisfaction. I can be in Lab in 4 days starting from Florida. Who would have thought something this far could be this close? Tuk is 4,869 miles away from Florida. That’s 9 days for me. So I’m thinking drive to Lab. Get a bit of warm-up long distance driving practice. Then, shoot for Tuk. Its only 700 miles more than driving to Anchorage. 5,700 miles. As I look at it, what beats kayaking in the Artic Ocean for a few minutes? Just long enough to take a photo? Who knows what could be lurking below! Better not push my luck.

So let’s see. Florida to Happy Valley-Goose, Labrador = 2,463 miles

Happy Valley-Goose, Labrador to Tuktoyaktuk, NWT = 5,278 miles

Tuktoyaktuk, NWT to beloved warm sunny friendly hospitable civilized Florida = 4,872 miles

Screw-Covid Tour = 12,613 miles

Add 15% for get gas, drive here and there on enticing dirt roads, bit of exploration, and you get to 14,505 miles.

That’s 1,000 gallons of Diesel which at $7 each is $7,000.

It stinks. Diesel should not be $7 a gallon in the country that has the most oil on earth.

But screw it. Screw that. So be it. $7K.

I should be leaving before June 15 and I’ll send digital postcards.

It’s looking more and more like Labrador is going to be the destination. The hesitation is drive first to Tuktoyaktuk and then to Happy Valley-Goose? Or first to HVG and then to Tuk? Labrador is a bit closer. A bit easier. Earlier satisfaction. I can be in Lab in 4 days starting from Florida. Who would have thought something this far could be this close? Tuk is 4,869 miles away from Florida. That’s 9 days for me. So I’m thinking drive to Lab. Get a bit of warm-up long distance driving practice. Then, shoot for Tuk. Its only 700 miles more than driving to Anchorage. 5,700 miles. As I look at it, what beats kayaking in the Artic Ocean for a few minutes? Just long enough to take a photo? Who knows what could be lurking below! Better not push my luck.

So let’s see. Florida to Happy Valley-Goose, Labrador = 2,463 miles

Happy Valley-Goose, Labrador to Tuktoyaktuk, NWT = 5,278 miles

Tuktoyaktuk, NWT to beloved warm sunny friendly hospitable civilized Florida = 4,872 miles

Screw-Covid Tour = 12,613 miles

Add 15% for get gas, drive here and there on enticing dirt roads, bit of exploration, and you get to 14,505 miles.

That’s 1,000 gallons of Diesel which at $7 each is $7,000.

It stinks. Diesel should not be $7 a gallon in the country that has the most oil on earth.

But screw it. Screw that. So be it. $7K.

I should be leaving before June 15 and I’ll send digital postcards.

Nomads live inside a vehicle and those vehicles have to be parked somewhere. I am parked in dispersed camping areas. Therefore I am living inside a vehicle at designated camping areas. I am a camper just like everyone else here be they weekend campers or full time nomads. I understand you might not be comfortable with thinking you are also camping. People like to put labels on their way of life that make them have various I thermal emotions for achievements, status, etc. I have not cared a great deal about that as far as what I am doing. Homeless, Houseless, Nomad, Gypsy, Boodocker, Camper, RVer. Whatever floats your boat as a title is irrelevant to me as long as you don't push your title onto me just because you think there is only one true designation.