How do we ACTUALLY make money!?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I have a question. I am wondering how do I go about applying to be a Camp Ground Host online since I will not be able to attend the RTR or big tent this year? I'm also interested in applying online for the Amazon Camper Force and the Sugar Beet Harvest jobs. I want to thank you in advance for the help.  Richard Ealum.

How do we ACTUALLY make money!?

A little B&E, the odd bank robbery, convenience store hold up.  

Seriously, I've survived long enough to start collecting the $$$ FDR promised me as a savings account, that I HAD to put $$$ into.  I.E. , Social Security.  or SSA.  

I ain't rich, but I'm still better off than a whole lot of people.  I've come to the conclusion that I can't really do the typical things, beet harvest, Amazon.  I get really tired after 4 hours of physical labor... no way I'm doing 12x7... some folks can.  I bet not many of them are 65 or older.  

It helps to not have to pay rent or a mortgage payment.  My sister lives outside San Antone, TX,  gets about a third of what I do and lives in a $700 / month apartment.  Her daughter helps her out a lot, but she's still living a typical life for someone over 70 that didn't "plan for retirement".   She's not eating dog food, or anything, but she's not shopping at Macy's either.  

Still, we both have it better than lots of people.  

Hope that helps, or if I was just blathering on, forgive me. 

Pat

Richard851980 said:
Hi, I have a question. I am wondering how do I go about applying to be a Camp Ground Host online since I will not be able to attend the RTR or big tent this year? I'm also interested in applying online for the Amazon Camper Force and the Sugar Beet Harvest jobs. I want to thank you in advance for the help.  Richard Ealum.

Try this place:

http://www.clm-services.com/

I exceeded the edit time window, so I'm adding this to my previous post:

I personally have enough IT experience that I could do some work on the side.  But the reason I'm retired is that working with large corporations just about caused an emotional/physical /mental meltdown.  I spent about 20 years working my way to the near pinnacle of my specialty (I was a DBA), then got there, and was on call 24x365.  I couldn't take vacation for about a year and a half.  Right now, the last thing I want to do is get back into that environment.  After some time has passed, I might change my mind. 

I'm going to try to get a campground host job this summer; hopefully in Sierra National Forest , with CLM-SERVICES.

Regards,

Pat

Coolworks.com lists companies with contracts in national parks. Try contacting them as a lot of times they don't list them cause they haven't had any luck filling them or keeping them filled in the past. Should be paying jobs otherwise volenteer sites will list nonpaying jobs.

I just started getting with workamping this year. Did the ND sugar beet harvest a couple months ago. Made about 3k after taxes for 16 days work. 12 hour days, 7 day weeks but it's over pretty quick and your campground, including hookups, is totally covered. I'll make even more when I go back next year.

Right now I'm in Hebron KY working the Amazon holiday rush. Been here about 2 weeks. The money is not as good but it's longer and less hours. 40 hours minimum 60 hours max. Did some quick math, if I stay until the end of February I'll make about 7k or more.

So between the two jobs I'll be making about what I used to make in a year working in kitchens. And that's without paying half if that to rent! But I'm not done there. Don't know what the next gig is but there's plenty to choose from. Maybe marijuana trim work in a state where it's been legalized. Maybe fireworks.

To OP I would say if you're interested, start with beets and Amazon and be sure to take every opportunity you get to talk people who have been doing this for a while. They'll be happy to give you all kinds of ideas and tell you about their experiences. There's only so many jobs you can find from the comfort of your couch.

One other suggestion is....go to the racetrack. They are always looking for hot-walkers.

If you can get there before 4:30am every morning, you will get work. It pays about $10 per horse...each horse walks about 20 minutes.

As you become known to grooms and trainers, you will pick up more work.

The work day is done at 10:30 am

Btw... this is paid in cash. Up to you to declare it and pay taxes/Medicare, etc.

sugar beet seems like a waste of time. 10-12 days which means only one weekend and driving a 1000 miles from nowhere...then back. can make that working a local seasonal wharehouse job without all the wear and tear.

GypsyDogs said:
I am afraid, that at the rate things are going for me.. I will just have to work until I die.  Which will eliminate the full-timing option for me.  Life obligations and a husband that consumes 600+GB of internet data (yes Gigs!) mandates 2 incomes and a roof.  :(

I have a prepaid Internet through ATT WiFi Hotspot and I use around 150 to 200 gig a month uploading videos and watching other youtubers and it is only 79$  month. The only time your Internet will slow is after 25 gigs and only then if your in a high traffic  area like a big city. You might wanna check into it.

Apply for a job, indeed, snag a job.. plenty of work on there... keep an eye out for seasonal jobs, that makes it easier.

That as well as camphost job are what we doing to make a living. Its not all constant travel for us, we have to stop someplace, and work for a few months and save money, then move on. Would be nice to have one of these fantasy jobs you see in articles, about being a writer, having a blog, and all that, But its not practical for 90% of the people that want to travel.

Upwork.com

It is becoming more and more common to be able to work remotely on a full-time basis. I have had all the work I can handle for over 6 months now.

It took a while to get established on the site, but now I do very well and can work from anywhere.

MFrancisDwyer said:
It took a while to get established on the site, but now I do very well and can work from anywhere.
Doing what, specifically as per OP title

work for Amazon.
CamperForce hires every Christmas season. This year they are looking for 10,000 more people.
The work is menial and hard.
Read NOMADLAND by Jessica Bruder to learn all you need to know.

I have hired people on upwork. It is a terrible website, but the contractors there are quite good!

I hired an EE. Help me sort out the issues I had with relays. I hired a graphic artist to design the all the needs for my daughters wedding (invitations, place settings, announcements, etc)

I will go back there to hire professionals again. Very happy with the contactors there.

Retired - living off of my investments.  Not tapped into social security or retirement accounts yet.

akrvbob said:
You can always make more money, you can never make more time.

My father worked at a job he didn't really like all his life and then retired at 60 never having to think about money again--I mean well-off!!

He was dead at 62.

In his whole life all he ever enjoyed was his vacations. Yes, he always had hobbies and did things--as his LORD and master, his JOB, allowed it.

Seeing the tragedy of his life set me on a course I've never regretted!!  
Bob

I watched my father do a similar thing.   It all started out ok.  Then a major illness happened and despite his medical insurance it wiped out that nest egg - and his dreams.  
And as a Chef I have seen it time and again in nursing homes and retirement homes.  Big dreams of travel to see the world once retired only to have it all disappear in the tragedy of old age and illness.

akrvbob said:
You can always make more money, you can never make more time.

My father worked at a job he didn't really like all his life and then retired at 60 never having to think about money again--I mean well-off!!

He was dead at 62.

In his whole life all he ever enjoyed was his vacations. Yes, he always had hobbies and did things--as his LORD and master, his JOB, allowed it.

Seeing the tragedy of his life set me on a course I've never regretted!!  
Bob

In the book "Your Money or Your Life" Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez raise the question as to what money actually is.  They raise the argument that Money is what we are willing to exchange our life for.  We have been conditioned to consider consumerism as the end all and that enough is never enough. They make the point that all you need is just enough to meet your needs and just a little bit more.  But if you go too far beyond your needs, then you start down the slippery sloop where your things require that you work more just to maintain so you don't want to go too far beyond your needs.  The drive for consumerism also leads people to go into debt, and that causes people to give up more of their life in exchange for more money.

geogentry said:
And as a Chef I have seen it time and again in nursing homes and retirement homes.  Big dreams of travel to see the world once retired only to have it all disappear in the tragedy of old age and illness.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I make my living as editor for a small publishing company, so I basically read books for a living. Not only do I love my job and enjoy doing it, but I work completely online and can do it on the road, any place I can get a wifi connection. So I can travel wherever and whenever I feel like going, and work whenever I feel like it (usually on days that it's raining and I don't wanna visit a museum or park or whatever) or not.

No "rat race" for me. Even though I "work" 3 or 4 days a week, it feels to me as though I've already retired. As someone once said, "Do a job that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life. 

:idea: