Off topic posts split from "How do u live on $700/month, truly?"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of February 2022, the average monthly rent for a two-bedroom apartment in the United States reached 1,295 U.S. dollars, up from 1,100 U.S. dollars a year before.
Not sure what the source is for those numbers, but they are a lot closer to what I'm seeing on Craigslist lately (which I've started haunting, for several locations, preparatory to moving again -- I hope! -- this fall).

In fact, for a lot of locations, I'm hardly seeing anything, with any # of bedrooms, under 4 digits.

To be fair, the Morgana Survey is unscientific and limited and has a bit too much wishful thinking in it, but ... who can afford this stuff??
Potential locations are dropping off my list like flies.

Scary times. But what can you do? except stay agile + brutally separate the "must haves" from the "nice to haves"!

A spouse (or former (divorced) spouse who was married for 10+ years) who started claiming at her/his full retirement age is entitled to 50% of the partner's (or former partner's) inflation-adjusted "primary insurance amount" (PIA) but none of his/her "delayed retirement credits" (DRC). A widow (or ex-widow or widower or ex-widower) receives 100% of his/her PIA plus DRC.

Depends on the location and what kind of apartment/house/neighborhood is acceptable to you.

I've always lived in the rustbelt and know that rents are all over the place. That national average is for an apartment in very good condition. If you can live comfortably in one that needs "help" and/or is in a questionable hood, then you can find one below $700. Even a two bedroom. I've even seen 2 bedrooms in decent condition and in decent hoods for $650.

There are towns all over the Midwest in which manufacturing jobs left the U.S. long ago. Stores have been boarded up for decades. Rent is cheap, if you don't need something newish and in perfect condition. These towns also have new chain stores and nice$$ apartments, as well.
not sure what planet others are on but location is key and if one is out in the massive dead boonies you ain't getting a 2 bed for 800 ever

IF THEY WERE MARRIED FOR AT LEAST 10 YEARS, THIS IS A LIE.

Call SS and ask. You may get a pleasant surprise.
Very good info. Also, if anyone receiving social security retirement pays child support for a kid under 18, that kid is entitled to the same amount from social security. Which can mean no more support payments, if the SS payment is greater than the support payment.

I feel everyone can get cheap azz rents around but we all better face the fact life is expensive and right now going ever 'skier higher' for all :) While we know one has XYZ with income to spend, we never know the expenses and the what ifs, our dollar can't even pretend to keep up and hold on..........all going down hill big time right now. Big economy and financial changes are happening, there is no 'before' anymore, just watch what comes and it stays and still gets worse as it all adjusts. Old times are over for sure. New life and financials are coming at us point blank.

Which can mean no more support payments, if the SS payment is greater than the support payment.
Just to clarify my post. The child is entitled to the same amount in SS that the parent receives...in addition to the parent's SS. The parent still receives SS and the kid gets it too. You do not have to be the custodial parent.

You do, however, have to get a judge to sign off on it. I think. Hmm... Maybe you can get it done through SS. (In my case, lawyers handled it.)

It was much more humbling and actually showed me the potential for a decent life living on a very low income when I started at the other end.

Building this sort of life from scratch is Really extreme, and Really difficult. And perhaps, more satisfying than anything a boilerplate life could ever offer.
I liked your post! I think tho too that so many do have medical issues there better be money set aside for that instance cause if one relies on free social services and more? and they could, one would be more set to survive. But basic essentials to survive are air, food, water and shelter.....after that ALL is a luxury actually and that becomes a scary factor to process kinda.

plus I think many very low on life issues and financials etc wouldn't mind a good chunk of that boilerplate life being offered if they could have it :)

so many ways to come at this but one thing is, very low income does not squeak far at all and now, with this situation of rising prices and more, it won't squeak any further by hoping and praying it will cause it won't.....and again, tougher times are coming at all of us.

I talk to many nomads who will state (well, actually gripe or complain) that they're living on a "fixed income." Upon further inquiry they "get by" on $2k, have a home base somewhere - or storage with stuff.
How they manage to have no money left at the end of the month is beyond me.
What I would like to know is how you, dear reader, live on, say $700/month. Period.
Not after house/car payment, not "after" whatever.
Let's say you're a healthy senior on original Medicare, with no more than the $700 of SSI (after Part B withholding).
ALL your expenses come out of that amount, yes, food and drink, gas and vehicle insurance/maintenance (van or small RV, paid for), CC and other fees, clothing, everything.
How do you live with any degree of comfort on that?
Regardless of where or how you do it, living on a fixed income is rarely comfortable. Doing it in a van or smallish RV can provide freedom that you do not have in an apartment. You just have to minimize the distance you travel each month.

If you live in the desert, gardening or growing food is not an option. The soil in the desert won't support life, not to mention heat and lack of water. If you manage to make enough good soil and then use enough water to keep veges alive, your water bill will be high enough that you could have just bought organic produce. Not that I, for one, could afford organic produce.

the straw bale van is an interesting and clever idea,....thanks for posting that. Never heard of that before, but why wouldn't it work. I wish the person who put the article up knew the difference between straw and hay, because they keep saying hay bales, and no one would build with hay bales.

I have always lived on less than lot people would think they could live on. But anyone can do it if they put their mind to it. I have never felt poor, just frugal. In this country you can have a decent lifestyle on very little if you know how and can be creative and don't mind cleaning up and using the cast-offs of other people, which this rich society produces in abundance. You can furnish a whole space, one on wheels or not, with things people throw in the dumpster or leave on the street in most cities and towns.

Just my opinion, but I don't think organic food is worth the extra money. Maybe it used to be years ago but these days it's not really possible to buy anything that doesn't have GMOs in it, even if the packaging says it doesn't, because they are everywhere. The seeds of GMO plants are carried on the wind and there's no place on the planet they don't go. Chemicals are in the water and the soil everywhere. Similarly, microplastics are everywhere and in everything these days - they have been found in so called organic produce, in deep sea creatures and in the far artic ice. In some cases, organic food tastes better and if a person can afford to pay more for it, great. But I personally don't think it is much of a health advantage.

I have always just avoided spending any more money than I absolutely have to, and I apply that to everything. That's the bottom line to living on very little money: don't ever spend money where you don't have to. Which doesn't mean you have to do without everything you want; you just may have to wait for it until you find it free or cheap or in a dumpster, or you may have to make your own. That's how I have lived my life and have never felt bad about it, just grateful that I can do it. And I value what I have in a way I have noticed that people who are rich enough to buy whatever they want any time do not. Delayed gratification is a skill I learned in childhood and most people in this country (not of course including nomads) would do well to learn it.
D'L if you seriously research what Roundup does to the body, you would eat organic. At least stuff that gets sprayed a lot: green leafies, anything growing above the ground, berries, etc. Put in your search term the word "scholarly," and you will get genuine research on it.

The American dream wasn’t that everyone would be well off. It’s that everyone has the same opportunity to become well off. Some people will try things and fail, some will be more successful but that is how life is and what motivates people to try harder. Unless someone has a disability then we should help those people out. I can’t believe the salaries they are paying even for menial work these days. And yet businesses can’t find enough workers.

Just curious if someone here is living on a $700 a month salary. Not that that is all they are spending, but that is all they are getting? For some people money isn’t that important so they don’t spend their lives trying to accumulate it. It never was for me. But I did work hard and I made sure I stayed out of debt and paid my bills. But I can’t complain because I don’t have as much as someone who spent their lives trying to make more and accumulate more money. You reap what you sow. I’m content and don’t need a brand new car and big house to be happy. But if someone needs those things they should work for them. Everyone has their own priorities.
There are likely quite a few women who did not work outside their homes because they were married. There was a whole generation of women who were told the ultimate life was being married to a successful man and taking care of his house and children for no actual financial compensation. If he died before them, they are entitled to his social security. If women of this generation were just single and working, unless they had unusually remunerative jobs, it is likely they were relegated to jobs that paid very little, and that left them little to save.

Not sure what the source is for those numbers, but they are a lot closer to what I'm seeing on Craigslist lately (which I've started haunting, for several locations, preparatory to moving again -- I hope! -- this fall).

In fact, for a lot of locations, I'm hardly seeing anything, with any # of bedrooms, under 4 digits.

To be fair, the Morgana Survey is unscientific and limited and has a bit too much wishful thinking in it, but ... who can afford this stuff??
Potential locations are dropping off my list like flies.

Scary times. But what can you do? except stay agile + brutally separate the "must haves" from the "nice to haves"!
I wish these posts were dated, so it is hard to know how long ago you posted, but right now (August 2022), where I live, the average one-bedroom is $1700/month.

Just look back through the original posts at the black bar at the top which contains the date. Rental rates are going up in my opinion for most places but so is the cost of buying.

I wish these posts were dated, so it is hard to know how long ago you posted,
See that little green up arrow in a circle after Morgana's name?
Clicking on that will take you to her post.
Date and time stamp is in the black band over her post.

D'L if you seriously research what Roundup does to the body, you would eat organic. At least stuff that gets sprayed a lot: green leafies, anything growing above the ground, berries, etc. Put in your search term the word "scholarly," and you will get genuine research on it.
Catalyst1, I do know about that. But knowing that something is not good doesn't miraculously make it possible to afford something you can't afford. As I mentioned, I cannot afford to buy organic.

Jan. 2022 original post.

Is that 700 going as far now? even in this short of a time change in that prices are frickin' skyrocketing....who does not feel it and see it and worse to come will come as we all know, nothing goes down, only up except our 'fixed incomes'...........and of course many think 'home base' but the real factor and what this site is about kinda is ON THE ROAD living on that money so?

so off track and off topic in a way :) but of course anyone with other options like paid for home base, some land to do ??, some side jobs they work? and more we end up talking SO MANY diff. scenarios the thread becomes useless in a way being so off the original post and $ chat....weee....

This video Will the 2023 Social Security COLA MISS REALITY?? might interest you. Here is the youtube description:
This video discusses why the 2023 Social Security COLA could miss the mark. For some people it will be higher than their actual cost of living increase and for others it will be lower. Importantly the video discusses what you can do if your 2023 COLA increase misses your reality. The July inflation number (CPI) came in at 8.5%. If this continues, this means that the Social Security increase for 2023 should be about the same. But due to factors beyond anyone's control, this number might overweight items that have not gone up much and underweight those that have gone up well in excess of the published inflation number, leading to a mismatch.