How do I wire this?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
i have a diagram that contains two symbols I do not know.

Each of those symbols shows a red (positive) wire.   But..not how to connect it

If I just wire it all together...then what was the point of this symbols?

Here is a pic of that section of the diagram.....

IMG_0833.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    931 KB
It is incorrectly drawn, to a point.  But not to fret.  Does the block/plug with 15-16-17 attach into something?  Do the two red wires go out to something or are they bringing power to the block/plug 15-16-17

It is telling you that 16 is a common, not to be confused as a ground or neg wire.  It is common to 15 and 17.
15 is Normally Closed, NC, with 16.  17 is Normally Open, NO, with 16.  

What's this a drawing from or for or to?

The 15, 16, and 17 are screws to a control device. The power comes from the other side of the device. (Pin 1 is red, pin 2 is black..ground). This red then goes to these 3 pins.

The red from 15,16 connects to Pin 1. The red from 16,17 (?) goes to the charger.

So.. do I just wire 15/16 together? Is there a connector of some sort that I haven't seen yet that connects to both? (Like the splicer I use to continue wires). Then wire 16 and 17 together? How does the circuit not then just by-pass the device? Flow in on 15, out on 17 through 16 and skip the device?

Can you draw a pic for me? Figure I have to connect the wire to a ring connector to get onto the screws...

Need more info there, RK.  I'm trying to read between the lines for clues.

Pictures help.

Looks to me like that the cross line indicates a 'jumper' is used in this configuration....but like the others here, we are shooting in the dark without more information....

yep more info is needed. what does this plug into? what does it control? can you post pics? highdesertranger

Yes, it is a relay...a contactor, in fact

Here is the full diagram

The only mystery to me is how I actually do the physical connect of the wire to the pins on the control device

IMG_0816.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_0816.PNG
    IMG_0816.PNG
    1.3 MB
Here is an ECPC404  http://www.electriccarpartscompany....r-Intelligent-Digital-EV-Battery-Pack-Monitor

I surmise the contractors are continuous duty solenoids.?

There are thumbnail pics to the right.  Are either of them what your trying to achieve?

I dunno if I'd call J1 and J2 jumpers. They are more of a set of contacts/relay, each with a C-NO-NC. It looks like on the face of the ECPE404 that either one can be chosen for whatever. Wow. Interesting piece of equipment.

How do I connect 15,16,17

I have one red wire ... shown going to 15,16. Do I splice the wire and have two with ring connectors to each? Then the same with 16,17?

How to connect 1 is easy...there is one wire..it goes to 1
Same with 2

But..I have 2 wires and 3 places to connect. 15,16,17

That is why I only drew the original with showing just 15,16,17
1 and 2 are well understood

Gfish...this is the back.

The other side is the led display

And yes, this is the wiring diagram from their website.
Still...

I have one wire to 15,16. Do I just splice it into two and put ring connectors on each to screw down...then same with 16,17?

I am seeking the most basic practical knowledge...how do I physically connect the wire to those terminals (screw connections)

Not jumpers. Wires connected to 15 & 16 is if you want the solenoid (contactor) normally closed. 16 & 17 if you want normally open.

Weight...

I have one wire to go to 15 - 16

Do I splice and put connect rings on both ends of the new spliced wire..then connect each of the ends (of the same wire) to 15 and to 16?

Or..is there a connector they make for this. What is it called?

Is the actual physical connection I don't know how to make. I understand the purpose of the device...just have no idea how to wire it.

VanKitten said:
Weight...

I have one wire to go to 15 - 16

Do I splice and put connect rings on both ends of the new spliced wire..then connect each of the ends (of the same wire) to 15 and to 16?

Or..is there a connector they make for this.  What is it called?  

Is the actual physical connection I don't know how to make.   I understand the purpose of the device...just have no idea how to wire it.

Repeating again:

It's called a 'jumper'.

It's right on that diagram you sent. Top right corner. J1 and J2 are jumpers.

You connect the incoming wire to either of the terminals, then you wire a short jumper to the OTHER terminal.

The jumper can be a very short wire loop, with lugs, or it can be a stiff wire or flat piece that can make the connection.

wow...disregard my last post, I dug deeper in the manual and discovered an error on my part, based on past conventions of schematics...

Confusing is right! I looked at the online manual and what a mess...

In almost all electronics schematics that have ever been printed (and seen by me) in the last 50 years, the letter J as in ' J1' or 'J2' means 'jumper'....

They seem to have deviated from this. 'RLY' or (SPDT etc) is the normal (text) symbol used to denote a relay.

So they are combining the terms and concepts to mean that the relay, makes a 'jumped' connection for whatever the external load is, in this case, a contactor.

This is just weird and they need to revise that part of the manual.

But anyway, you need to use EITHER 15 and 16, OR 16 and 17, depending on how you plan to program the set points.

Sorry for the conflicting answers.

let me try this.
on the link to ECPC404 on the middle thumb nail, do you have all those components in your system? it appears 15 is the trigger wire for the normally closed contactor and 16 is the power in for 15. do not jump these. if you don't have that contactor you don't use those terminals. if you do, wire it just like the diagram. you say you have one wire, what wire? power in or power out?

as a side note I have never heard of a contactor before I assume they mean a contentious duty solenoid? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
as a side note I have never heard of a contactor before I assume they mean a contentious duty solenoid?  

HDR, a 'contactor' is a term for a super heavy-duty relay or solenoid. They usually make a loud SNAP when they close or open.

You find them in large industrial applications like battery powered forklifts and overhead shop cranes. Anywhere that needs a crapload of current switched on or off.

International English, general term for relay/solenoid. Relay is normally used for low currents, contactor are used for switching more amps