How do I keep windows from fogging up?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny P

Reaction score
I have a great stealthy cargo van set-up but my windshield and driver/passenger door windows are accumulating a lot of condensation which can be seen from outside. Definitely a give away that Im living in my van.
Anyone know of ways to prevent the condensation?
I tried cracking my widows a tiny bit but it didn’t help at all. Plus that makes it easier for someone to break in.

A dehumidifier would probably work. Check Amazon, they have this blue looking unit that runs off of a USB port and it seems to remove a lot of moisture out of the air. A few folks that use it say it works really well.

"DampRid" is calcium chloride. If you want a lot of it, you can buy it cheaper from a hardware store as ice melt. SuperMelt is one brand of calcium chloride ice melt. Calcium chloride is also the white pellets that they sometimes spread on dirt roads to keep the dust down (because it absorbs moisture from the air, and then the moisture seeps into the soil).

Put calcium chloride in a woman's nylon and hang it above a cup. Dump the water out of the cup as it collects. No need to pay the markup for the DampRid packaging.

Calcium chloride is also sometimes used in pickling.

You can also get the same effect out of ammonium nitrate, another hygroscopic compound. However that will get the FBI looking for you.

TMG51 said:
You can also get the same effect out of ammonium nitrate, However that will get the FBI looking for you.

Just typing those two words on a website can get you on an FBI watchlist.   :p

draw fan?
...just saying.. through-flow of air will greatly reduce condensation.

frater secessus said:
There are multiple ways to reduce humidity (interior and otherwise).  Increased ventilation is often the easiest method.

Wait.... You have a method for altering the exterior humidity?

I agree to forget tiny dehumidifier units and passive materials in this situation.

You need well controlled active ventilation, IOW a single big fan (or a bunch of little ones) exchanging air with the outside.

High CFM is needed more in too-hot weather, but if you have to cut holes in your sheet metal might as well handle both scenarios.

Some have rigged a series of small fans into a strip that fits in the top part of a rolled down window, but that's not at all stealthy.

MaxxAir or Fantastic Fan in the roof is very effective and straightforward, medium stealth, pretty quiet on low.

Airflow from smaller muffin fans cut into the floor can work, but make sure to have a way to seal them up when the engine's running, CO kills.

Bug screening is an issue as well.

And of course increased use of power from your House battery needing replacing every day.

Punching a hole in a cargo van for a fan is definitely a measure twice, cut once project. I've seen people install things as small as usb powered computer fans and there are also larger products like you might expect to see in an RV.

Instead of roof holes you can try sleeping with lowered windows about few inches. Put bug screen over opening if needed. Put in rain gutters on outside in case it rains.

TMG51 said:
Wait.... You have a method for altering the exterior humidity?

Relocation can have the effect of reducing exterior humidity.  Evaporation (misters) can increase the local exterior humidity.

RVTravel said:
Instead of roof holes you can try sleeping with lowered windows about few inches. Put bug screen over opening if needed. Put in rain gutters on outside in case it rains.

That makes a lot of sense, but won't it attract thieves in big cities? I'm guessing it would make it a lot easier to break in the vehicle.

One guy (here? TNTTT perhaps?) put a vent in the bottom of the vehicle and a fan.

It would be pretty rare for someone to break into any vehicle while someone's in it.