How do I find BLM land? Where is your favorite and why?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped sharing my favorite boondocking spots. One reason they're my favorites is that not many people know about them. I know that's a bit of an I-got-mine-so-screw-you attitude that's not helpful to folks who are new at this, but it's getting crowded out here.

yes I don't share my favorites anymore, if you caravan with me you will see them but I well not put it on the internet. this summer was real bad as far as overcrowding at places that I have had all to myself or a few others for years. however I still have some aces in the hole. highdesertranger

NE PA above Milford, PA, Fire Tower Road has multiple dispersed gravel pads that were placed there in 2015. There were a few older grass meadow sites as well. I was last there in summer 2015.
West on US-6 out of Milford, right at Shocopee Rd. Right onto T340/Fire Tower Rd. (Trivia, in Minnesota, Shakopee has the same pronunciation.)
The area is State Game Lands Number 209. Be aware of hunting seasons.

Las Cienegas BLM land near Sonoita, Arizona

You'll drive north on an excellent dirt road off Hwy 82 east of Sonoita. Peaceful, quiet... lots of graded spaces to pull off and park. Very few RVs, until after a few miles you get to the old Empire Ranch, where the roads are paved, and that's where the RVs are. But the dirt roads are the sweet spot. Quiet, no people. Just you and the mesquite and the scrub oaks and the tall cottonwood trees, which you don't want to park under because a falling branch can weigh more than 1,000 lbs. The cottonwoods at Empire Ranch are awesome... there's a short walking trail off the parking lot to the right of the main building. A beautiful walk through the trees. Eventually you come back to a gate in the back of the building -- it's not locked, and you can walk through the property back to the parking lot. At about 4 PM, the light is perfect for photos, and the sky is our deep, deep Arizona blue.